English breakfast available in Ubon ?

Bangkokhatter

Am heading up to Ubon next week for a break and as the title suggests any place to recommend for an English breakfast ? Been here a while and still can't find any Thai food i fancy eating in the morning.

Actually a further question any recommendations for a few beers New years eve ? not fussed if Western or Thai place.

Not to over-complicate matters:

"Peppers" on Thanon Uppalisan for eggs, bacon sausages hashbrowns or pancakes. A full breakfast (there are a variety of options) with fresh-brewed filter coffee would likely be about 300 baht. Only other options would be hotel buffets like "Rapeepan Ville" or "Laithong"

"Wrong Way" - a falang bar/restaurant on Thanon Padaeng is likely to have a festive/party mood and a lot of like-minded farangs in it. Get chatting with the locals if you then want to find out about other more localised options.

Google for maps and facebook sites. Both are centrally located (inasmuch as both are in the one central area of at least three different central areas of shops/restaurants/bars in Ubon

Wrong Way" - a falang bar/restaurant on Thanon Padaeng is likely to have a festive/party mood and a lot of like-minded farangs in it. Get chatting with the locals if you then want to find out about other more localised options..

santi, i dont think you will get much joy at wrong way as "unbelievably" they are closing for 3 days starting on hogmanay 31 st.

scotty

Thanks for the reply, Peppers it is then tomorrow morning.

Great place but I am unsure if you will specifically find an ENGLISH breakfast there, as you originally asked for.

But their breakfast is indeed outstanding and you can even have your breakfast at 3 pm and later. The fact that they also have a bakery, can only be beneficial to enjoy a "lovely" breakfast in an air conditioned restaurant.

Thanks for the reply, Peppers it is then tomorrow morning.

Great place but I am unsure if you will specifically find an ENGLISH breakfast there, as you originally asked for.

True - it's probably closer to what people call an American full breakfast Dilligad, but it's close enough. I've seen some pretty poor efforts in Thailand (notably Patts) that are ludicrously called English breakfasttongue.png . As long as the bacon and sausages are not those horrible Thai remanufactured meat rubbish and the eggs are cooked nicely to order in whatever style I fancy on the day then any other accompaniments are a bonus. It ticked all those boxes. I think I recall it coming with toast and/or hash browns. Can't remember whether brown spicy fruit sauce was available!

Oh dear I've slipped into full Brit expat mode already and its only 6 years here!

[That's made me hungry - think I'll nip down to Norbert's place for a good German sausage and a beer!]

• Like 2

Say Hi from me and why not have one of his glorious pizza"s???

What, for breakfast? Shame on you for a renegade, Dilligad!

In all my 53 years as an expat in Asia, delighting in the foods of the countries where I've lived. I've never deviated from what a breakfast should be, and when I'm out, I will always try (at least) for an English breakfast. Admittedly, I've fined it down at home to a bowl of muesli and a cup of coffee, but that's a matter of convenience (and adjusting my diet to keep my weight where it should be).

In all my 53 years as an expat in Asia, delighting in the foods of the countries where I've lived. I've never deviated from what a breakfast should be, and when I'm out, I will always try (at least) for an English breakfast. Admittedly, I've fined it down at home to a bowl of muesli and a cup of coffee, but that's a matter of convenience (and adjusting my diet to keep my weight where it should be).

That was to the previous poster, Santisuk who posted around 4pm and was off to Pizza4you, Mike. I'm with you on the breakfast thing as you mentioned BTW.
  • Like 1

That was to the previous poster, Santisuk who posted around 4pm and was off to Pizza4you, Mike. I'm with you on the breakfast thing as you mentioned BTW.

Just came back from shopping and only had a noodle soup....

.Now reading about a Pizza at Norbert makes me so hungry that I could eat my monitor. Will try to be there around New Year...coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Thai food for any meal is an invitation to an emergency room ! Why do you think the first 20 shelves in any Thai pharmacy are filled with stomach medications ?

Then don't eat it! Thai food is a taste sensation. Still need the Western hit every so often, but even then it does not have the multiple tastes that Thai food can provide.

• Like 1

Thai food for any meal is an invitation to an emergency room ! Why do you think the first 20 shelves in any Thai pharmacy are filled with stomach medications ?

In answer to your question, I for one don't think the first 20 shelves in any Thai pharmacy are filled with stomach remedies (or that they are any more disproportionate than in falangland).

Nice try

• Like 2

Peppers has a pretty impressive Eggs Benedict, if that come under the English Breakfast category. Personally, I like their Asian Calamari for breakfast.

"Wrong Way" Santi??; opens at 4.00PM a tad late for breakfast - bit of a Night-Owl our Flash Git you know!!!

Only 2 mistakes this time, so only a bronze star, DR my son.

* We were asked to recommend a bar for Hogmanay as well as a place for brekkie

* Wrong Way opens at 6pm unless it's changed back of late.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Peppers has a pretty impressive Eggs Benedict, if that come under the English Breakfast category. Personally, I like their Asian Calamari for breakfast.

"Wrong Way" Santi??; opens at 4.00PM a tad late for breakfast - bit of a Night-Owl our Flash Git you know!!!

Edited by Patriot

A full breakfast (there are a variety of options) with fresh-brewed filter coffee would likely be about 300 baht.----SantiSuk

300 baht for Brekie...... I guess the Ubon people must be a lot richer then their Udon cousins...........

Bacon / 2 eggs / tomato / 2 sausage / 2 toast & Coffee & they still complaining about it gong up to 90 baht here..... it is Essan, after all not Suk street.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Conical hat and back of the class for me then!!

I'll settle for Silver Star, pretty sure WW is a 4PM opening.

Happy New Year to you and your family Steve, hoping we're being greeted with a bit of Saint bashing without the "Olivier Kiss"!!

Well finally arrived after 2 days in the village eating some awful looking stuff and have to say the Breakfast at Peppers was lovely.

Sausages were ok, bacon good and homemade hash brown also good. 2 eggs over cooked for my taste but next time i can ask.

At 220 baht with coffee included not bad value.

So thanks again for the recommendation.

Oh and Trans it opens at 07:00 is that early enough for you ?

• Like 2

A full breakfast (there are a variety of options) with fresh-brewed filter coffee would likely be about 300 baht.----SantiSuk

300 baht for Brekie...... I guess the Ubon people must be a lot richer then their Udon cousins...........

Bacon / 2 eggs / tomato / 2 sausage / 2 toast & Coffee & they still complaining about it gong up to 90 baht here..... it is Essan, after all not Suk street.

Yes - plenty of falang prepared to pay for quality in this part of Isaan

But I apparently overestimated the cost by 80 baht, so I guess that marks me out as someone who chucks his money around (in stark contrast to the opinions of my TW and members of the footie forum who accuse me of being a Cheap Charlie!)

Anyway me and my fellow Lower Isaanites are not averse to food courts and 40 baht something-gaeng over rice eithersmile.png

Edited by SantiSuk

Well finally arrived after 2 days in the village eating some awful looking stuff and have to say the Breakfast at Peppers was lovely.

Sausages were ok, bacon good and homemade hash brown also good. 2 eggs over cooked for my taste but next time i can ask.

At 220 baht with coffee included not bad value.

So thanks again for the recommendation.

Oh and Trans it opens at 07:00 is that early enough for you ?

I don't eat breakfast, I was inquiring for you lot......smile.png