Stateless children make plea for Thai nationality, rights

Lite Beer

Stateless children make plea for Thai nationality, rights
The Nation

30251640-01_big.jpg
Reporters pose with life-size standing figures of Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha at Government House yesterday. Government House will be open to children today for National Children

BANGKOK: -- As New Year and National Children's Day gifts, homeless and migrant children in Thailand are asking, first of all, for Thai nationality and basic rights.

Kaloh Ma-yeur, a 21-year-old freshman at Loei Rajabhat University, recalled how his migrant parents and him used to wander the streets of Chiang Rai's Mae Sai district when he was seven.

He told of living the life of a glue-sniffing chain-smoking beggar who ate leftover food in trash boxes and slept on the street for two years.

He was saved by Ban Kru Nam Foundation manager Nutchanart "Kru Nam" Boonkhong's "Friends on the Streets" project. Nutchanart and her foundation staff helped him to get an education, he said, but he was dragged back two months later by his parents.

"So I ran away to return to Kru Nam and 14 years have passed since," Kaloh said. "From being a child beggar who could not speak Thai, I obtained a good education. Now I would like to represent homeless and migrant children - whose lives are a living hell - to ask policymakers to push for our chance to be legal persons with basic rights and protection and better life opportunities," he said.

A 17-year-old Myanmar girl, identified only as Jin who studied Mathayom 1 at a Bangkok school, recalled that her parents used to move from one construction site to another in search of work while she helped them in this physically-demanding job. Years ago, she met Thongpoon "Kru Jiew" Buasri from the Foundation for the Better Life of Children who invited her to stay at the foundation and be educated. Overjoyed to get the chance to study, the girl proved a good student and earned all As. She said she wanted to be a painter and to get Thai nationality.

Kru Nam said what the homeless kids needed was love, sincerity and a safe place to find their feet and grow up to be good adults in society. She urged Thai authorities to provide them with Thai nationality and clarify their status as the country moves towards the Asean Economic Community this year.

Despite the Nationality Act stipulating people living in Thailand for 10 years could apply for Thai nationality, she said the law wasn't being implemented this way.

Her foundation was pushing for stateless kids with status cards, starting with the number 0, to be able to register under the foundation's household, so the children would be entitled to basic rights. Moreover, children obtaining Thai nationality would reassure NGO staff members that their work was effective and legal, she added.

National Human Rights Commissioner Mana Ngamnet said homeless children - migrant or Thai-origin - could be considered and must be registered to receive rights according to the Child Protection Act. This would entitle them to education, healthcare and decent job opportunities without being discriminated against.

These comments were presented at a seminar held as part of the 7th Thailand National Health Assembly from December 24-26 at Nonthaburi's Impact Arena Exhibition and Convention Centre.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Stateless-children-make-plea-for-Thai-nationality--30251640.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-01-10

My fellow Thais, in case there's any doubt I am PM my gift to you is a series of life size cardboard cut outs of me in various poses.

The cutout campaign is to allow me to remain in the background as i'm a normal retiring, humble man and do not want excessive personal exposure or publicity..

• Like 2

He must be very busy with his work trying to make this country a good place to live and happiness for everyone. Its understandable that he doesn't have time to stand there himself to pose in pictures for his people.

As a farang you could pose as well and get a pic with their leader. So stop ridiculing him for having the life size cutouts of himself. The majority of people and businesses love him and are grateful he is fixing the country.

I would bet if you went to Disney world you would be taking the same kind of pics with mickey mouse cutouts. Would you be calling mickey vain as well?

He must be very busy with his work trying to make this country a good place to live and happiness for everyone. Its understandable that he doesn't have time to stand there himself to pose in pictures for his people.

As a farang you could pose as well and get a pic with their leader. So stop ridiculing him for having the life size cutouts of himself. The majority of people and businesses love him and are grateful he is fixing the country.

I would bet if you went to Disney world you would be taking the same kind of pics with mickey mouse cutouts. Would you be calling mickey vain as well?

I would suggest the reporters posing with him, well his cut out, aren't being very respectful.

Attitude Adjustment anyone ?

In comparing him to MM you are not seriously suggesting he too is a cartoon character ? giggle.gif

Edited by NongKhaiKid

How dare you refer to Mickey Mouse in the same comment as PM Prayuth. Mickey is a universally popular icon who really has brought happiness to the people.
  • Like 2

People do make fun of Disneyland quite a bit, actually. And, to clarify something for you, you have no right to declare 'what Thai people think' in such broad, overly simplistic terms - especially about something as complicated as this situation. There's are millions upon millions of Thai people, and surprisingly, not all of them have the same point of view as you would like them to have. And you don't know that for yourself, already? You've been here how long? If you want to defend some cardboard cutouts, no problem. But, standing to represent the supposed feelings of millions of people? Get a clue; they aren't telling you what they think, is far more likely.

• Like 1

The moral test of a government is how it treats those who are at the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the aged; and those who are in the shadow of life, the sick and the needy, and the handicapped.
~Hubert Humphrey

• Like 2

Not sure if the Disney Corporation indulges in such cheesiness , as this trade mark is worth billions. Something to think about before making a cut out.

Mickey comparison sounds about right to me. Although the puppet Pinocchio would be closer.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I would value my pic with Mickey Mouse more.

My fellow Thais, in case there's any doubt I am PM my gift to you is a series of life size cardboard cut outs of me in various poses.

The cutout campaign is to allow me to remain in the background as i'm a normal retiring, humble man and do not want excessive personal exposure or publicity..

Sssshhh, it'll be bronze statues next ...

• Like 1

On No, hush my mouth and keyboard.

Um, first of all, Mickey Mouse isn't real. blink.pnglaugh.pngfacepalm.gif

But, it's the same as posing with this Mickey Mouse government, overthrowing by force, junta leading, suspiciously wealthy un-elected PM.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

post-206952-0-41137800-1420866531_thumb.

• Like 1

Nothing but pure gold for this guy, how dare you disrespect dear leader.
  • Like 1