Kawasaki Vulcan S

dave_boo

Good price for this bike with this engine size. If they were available a few years earlier, I would have bought one. But my interests since changed and I don't want another cruiser.

If it's the same torque as the Versys engine, 42 ft*lb, it compares favourably to the the CTX700 as they also weigh about the same. I've ridden an old Honda 400 Steed and didn't care much for the steering although the torque v-twin sure was better than the peaky Ninja 250 I was on at the time.

I've been told that a cruiser is needed in the household; perhaps I'll see if there is a test ride available and if it's wife-approved drop the cash on it. As she's 1.56 I think the 705mm seat height may be manageable for her.

I'll wait till I hit 70+ to get a cruiser again I like them a lot but as long as I can still wield up to a 1500 cc. sport bike-super bike I will stick with the sport bike look. They are fun but it would be unwieldy in Pattaya trying to split lanes in town especially on Pattaya Tai road or some other choice spots. In BKK forget about it a scooter is a tight fit. Not a bad price though I looked at the 900 for a bit more but the size was a deal breaker. a 15 year old could ride the power couch but the bars make it too tight to get around traffic. On the road.......Groovy! That would be my choice for a touring bike!

I'll wait till I hit 70+ to get a cruiser again I like them a lot but as long as I can still wield up to a 1500 cc. sport bike-super bike I will stick with the sport bike look. They are fun but it would be unwieldy in Pattaya trying to split lanes in town especially on Pattaya Tai road or some other choice spots. In BKK forget about it a scooter is a tight fit. Not a bad price though I looked at the 900 for a bit more but the size was a deal breaker. a 15 year old could ride the power couch but the bars make it too tight to get around traffic. On the road.......Groovy! That would be my choice for a touring bike!

Good thing not all of us live in an urban rat's nest.

• Like 1

Good thing not all of us live in an urban rat's nest.

Hell Dave I live out in the country 22 kilos from Pattaya & only go there once a week to shop.Bangkok would be the pits for me. I like open air & open roads. Chiang Mai might not be bad either. Or Koh Phanagan!

• Like 1

Saw one at Kawa Chiang Mai. Was impressed by the looks - it has some modern touches, somewhere in-between a classic cruiser and a Diavel.

Thai marketing is ridiculous (see website). They say it's for women and newbs. Hahaha. Why not market it as light, cheap, sensible cruiser? That's what it looks like to me anyways... it's not as cool as the Vulcan or the star bolt but it's also way cheaper. The cruiser for people who just want a motorcycle to tool around on, who do not need the loudest, heaviest chunk of metal to announce their manliness.

Edited by nikster

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like the perfect bike for your wife man.

It's very cool you can adjust seat/foot pegs and handle bar to fit many sizes of riders.

This must be the first time this is done like this, well done Kawasaki.

They have also changed the engine quite a lot to make it cruiser friendly so they don't do it half assed.

285K baht is a steal compared to other cruisers and as the tester mention, do you really need more than 650cc on a cruiser if you pot along at 100-120 km/h most of the time out on the highway?

As I mentioned in the Versys 650 2015 tread, they sold app 10 already from the Kawa Pattaya branch and the one I saw riding away was ridden by a young Thai man, an all black model, which looks very nice.

It's very cool you can adjust seat/foot pegs and handle bar to fit many sizes of riders.

They have also changed the engine quite a lot to make it cruiser friendly so they don't do it half assed.

285K baht is a steal compared to other cruisers and as the tester mention, do you really need more than 650cc on a cruiser if you pot along at 100-120 km/h most of the time out on the highway?

As I mentioned in the Versys 650 2015 tread, they sold app 10 already from the Kawa Pattaya branch and the one I saw riding away was ridden by a young Thai man, an all black model, which looks very nice.

She definitely perked up when I converted the measurements of the woman mentioned in the article to metric.

285k thb price confirmed in Thailand?

If yes, very good deal. Kawasaki's rival to Honda's ctx700. I like it when manufacturers do experimental cruisers out of harley fashion.

Bike looks dynamic and have a torquey engine from er series which is tested and proven.

still, bike looks a bit ugly especially that headlight!

285k thb price confirmed in Thailand?

If yes, very good deal. Kawasaki's rival to Honda's ctx700. I like it when manufacturers do experimental cruisers out of harley fashion.

Bike looks dynamic and have a torquey engine from er series which is tested and proven.

still, bike looks a bit ugly especially that headlight!

Yes 285k THB is the official price on their page: http://www.kawasaki.co.th/th/motorcycle_06_vulcan_S_abs.asp

I think when it comes down to Vulcan S vs CTX700, there is no competition. The Vulcan has more HP/torque, looks much much better and is 65k cheaper. The 700 series in general is overpriced in Thailand, probably imports?

I like the Vulcan S. Green is not available in Thailand it seems.

• Like 2

Yes 285k THB is the official price on their page: http://www.kawasaki.co.th/th/motorcycle_06_vulcan_S_abs.asp

I think when it comes down to Vulcan S vs CTX700, there is no competition. The Vulcan has more HP/torque, looks much much better and is 65k cheaper. The 700 series in general is overpriced in Thailand, probably imports?

Yeah, I'm one of the Honda fans on this board...and the CTX700 series makes no sense with the introduction of the Vulcan S. Perhaps the DCT model did when there was only the 900 Vulcan and Bolt, but now you are paying too much for too little.

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm one of the Honda fans on this board...and the CTX700 series makes no sense with the introduction of the Vulcan S. Perhaps the DCT model did when there was only the 900 Vulcan and Bolt, but now you are paying too much for too little.

ctx700 dct version makes sense to me and it looks better and better quality than vulcan plus you get a japanese made bike.

and ctx700 makes a lot of sense for kawa too so they released this bike to compete with it.

still 285 k thb for vulcan is a great value and i cant deny that. same price with an er6n nearly. well done kawa.

ctx700 dct version makes sense to me and it looks better and better quality than vulcan plus you get a japanese made bike.

and ctx700 makes a lot of sense for kawa too so they released this bike to compete with it.

still 285 k thb for vulcan is a great value and i cant deny that. same price with an er6n nearly. well done kawa.

We both agree that the CTX is overpriced for the competition with maybe the exception of the DCT model...so my previous post stands.

We both agree that the CTX is overpriced for the competition with maybe the exception of the DCT model...so my previous post stands.

yes expensive here but elsewhere same price.

I think the headlight is not bad, but the instrument cluster looks kinda toy-ish to me.

Hard to design something to bridge the classic cruiser and modern look. I think Ducati did a good job on the Diavel; it's all digital but in two separate parts, one on the tank and the main information on the bar. It's also more rectangular; I think that's the biggest issue with the Vulcan; if the tach wasn't so round it wouldn't be so out of place. They got it right on the pre-2012 ER6...then decided to go with the big ass tach. Oh well.

• Like 1

I think the headlight is not bad, but the instrument cluster looks kinda toy-ish to me.

Hard to design something to bridge the classic cruiser and modern look. I think Ducati did a good job on the Diavel; it's all digital but in two separate parts, one on the tank and the main information on the bar. It's also more rectangular; I think that's the biggest issue with the Vulcan; if the tach wasn't so round it wouldn't be so out of place. They got it right on the pre-2012 ER6...then decided to go with the big ass tach. Oh well.

Hah, exactly my thoughts! This design seems in a bad transition spot between classic analog and modern LCD. Some have worked it out like the R nineT with the two analogs and the LCD in the middle. I also don't mind split LCDs like the Honda 650s or Ducatis. Even with other models I find Kawasaki dashboards in general not so nice. Also not sure what the colored background of the LCD is supposed to add.

2015-Kawasaki-Vulcan-S-0071.jpgbmw-r-ninet-r90-review-road-test-3.jpgDucati_Diavel_dash.jpg

Hah, exactly my thoughts! This design seems in a bad transition spot between classic analog and modern LCD. Some have worked it out like the R nineT with the two analogs and the LCD in the middle. I also don't mind split LCDs like the Honda 650s or Ducatis. Even with other models I find Kawasaki dashboards in general not so nice. Also not sure what the colored background of the LCD is supposed to add.

2015-Kawasaki-Vulcan-S-0071.jpgbmw-r-ninet-r90-review-road-test-3.jpgDucati_Diavel_dash.jpg

I had never see the nineT dash...rather smart looking.

I got the same instrument cluster on my Versys 2015 expect mine redline at 10.000 rpm.

It's very functional, 2 trip counters/ average km/l/ current km/l - xx km left in the tank and clock and tank level.

But okay on the Vulkan you see it more since it's a naked bike.

Well it's not quite the same after all, on the Versys the tank level is shown on a graph on the left and not in the bottom and is slightly bigger, I think.