Former Thai PM Somchai 'confident' in govt's new charter

webfact

Former Red PM 'Confident' in Junta's New Charter
By Khaosod English

14210522051421052370l.jpg
Former Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawasdi and his wife Yaowapa Shinawatra receiving gifts at a New Year celebration on 12 Jan 2015.

BANGKOK — Former Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawasdi, who is widely supported by Thailand's Redshirt faction, has endorsed the military junta's effort to draft a new constitution.

Somchai delivered the comments to a group of Pheu Thai Party MPs and Redshirt leaders who were visiting him at his residence today.

"I don't want a new charter that will benefit me in the next election. I want it to benefit nation," said Somchai, who is a brother-in-law of former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

He continued, "In my opinion, the ongoing drafting of the new constitution has help from many respectable experts. Bowornsak Uwanno [chairman of the Constitution Drafting Committee] is respected and accepted by the people. So, I strongly believe that the new charter will be impartial, universal, and accepted by both Thais and foreigners."

The military junta, officially known as the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), dissolved Thailand’s 2007 charter when it staged a coup against the Redshirt-backed government on 22 May 2014. The country is currently being governed by an interim charter while the junta-appointed CDC drafts a "permanent" constitution.

The new charter - Thailand's 20th in the past 82 years - is expected to be completed in late 2015. The NCPO has promised to hold a national election after the draft is approved and a series of national "reforms" have been achieved.

Redshirts and other anti-coup voices have denounced the military takeover as undemocratic, raising concerns about the effort to draft a new charter under martial law, which prohibits public protests and criticism of the military regime.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1421052205&section=11&typecate=06

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-01-12

Even the brother in law recognizes and accepts that the General is the best thing that happened to Thailand for many years.

He doesn't believe a word he says......but that's another story to unfold in some years when the so called Democracy will come back.

Not a pretty sight is it, and they had to get in the arch criminal in the background.

Check again Robby, it's a portrait of the great Somchai, not the Sandman.

You are right but I really didn't want to look at the horror show again.

• Like 1

Even the brother in law recognizes and accepts that the General is the best thing that happened to Thailand for many years.

He doesn't believe a word he says......but that's another story to unfold in some years when the so called Democracy will come back.

It is really very simple, Somchai and family own a large logistics company (WIN) and with all the infrastructure projects coming up, he simply wants a share of the pie!!

After all they all pray to the same God:post-218648-0-89794000-1421055424.jpg

Edited by JOC
  • Like 2

I'm wondering if this is to appease the junta during the impeachment process or if it is a strategy to make the best of the situation until the next election, or if they're serious in what they say.

I suspect the first option. It seems unlikely that the PTP leadership would sincerely believe the motives of the 'NCPO' to be in the best interest of the country.

Red shirts and other Thais, who want real democracy in Thailand, need to look to leaders who put democracy and the good of the country before their own personal interests. I believe that is DL's morality value number 12.... whistling.gif

Red shirts and other Thais, who want real democracy in Thailand, need to look to leaders who put democracy and the good of the country before their own personal interests. I believe that is DL's morality value number 12.... whistling.gif

... leaders who put democracy and the good of the country before their own personal interests ... so that automatically excludes any past, present or future leaders of Pheu Thai (or whatever they are calling themselves now), and anyone on the opposition too ... pretty much all Thai's really.

• Like 1

... leaders who put democracy and the good of the country before their own personal interests ... so that automatically excludes any past, present or future leaders of Pheu Thai (or whatever they are calling themselves now), and anyone on the opposition too ... pretty much all Thai's really.

future? well no. But it does exclude Thaksin.

I'm wondering if this is to appease the junta during the impeachment process or if it is a strategy to make the best of the situation until the next election, or if they're serious in what they say.

I suspect the first option. It seems unlikely that the PTP leadership would sincerely believe the motives of the 'NCPO' to be in the best interest of the country.

Being cynical I also suspect it's an insincere first option. The third of being serious even you don't believe. The second option is in line with the non-obstruction by non-cooperating as Thaksin told his party and UDD to give the NLA a chance, but then all know it's not about Thaksin.

So, lying through their teeth as usual comes to mind.

Time for Thai to learn self-entitlement and self-reliance.

..............."I don't want a new charter that will benefit me in the next election. I want it to benefit nation," ...............

Oh fer <deleted> sake. Stop lying through your bloody teeth. Scumbag. Watery, pathetic, drippy little scumbag.

• Like 1

..............."I don't want a new charter that will benefit me in the next election. I want it to benefit nation," ...............

Oh fer <deleted> sake. Stop lying through your bloody teeth. Scumbag. Watery, pathetic, drippy little scumbag.

At least we are in agreement that the new charter will not be of benefit to the nation as a whole.

• Like 1

Not a pretty sight is it, and they had to get in the arch criminal in the background.

Check again Robby, it's a portrait of the great Somchai, not the Sandman.

I thought he was talking about red shirt Natthawut doing a photo bomb appearance on the right side of the photo.

Still, it's better than his usual bombings which involve real TNT.

you yellows see him everywhere - even when the pic is not of him

talk about paranoia

Isnt it silly how those who color code themselves and follow a doctrine have to assume that all others are the same ?

Still when you belong to a cult that prohibits independent thought and cant say anything till the one in charge gives the order I suppose you really find it difficult to believe anyone else could be different.

• Like 1

Being cynical I also suspect it's an insincere first option. The third of being serious even you don't believe. The second option is in line with the non-obstruction by non-cooperating as Thaksin told his party and UDD to give the NLA a chance, but then all know it's not about Thaksin.

I still vote for basic appeasement during the impeachment process.

It's completely self-serving and disingenuous on Thaksin's part and the same for his allies who trot out this line.

I still vote for basic appeasement during the impeachment process.

It's completely self-serving and disingenuous on Thaksin's part and the same for his allies who trot out this line.

'basic appeasement', in relation to the impeachment process? Now you lost me. You would like to allow Ms. Yingluck to wear a red-shirt Friday ? I would think that's no problem.

BTW the topic relates to CDC work and constitutions.

Edited by rubl