Ministry of Foreign Affairs proposes Multiple Visa, 1 Year 3000 thb - Sunbelt Asia

As long as the word "Multiple" appears, it means that we will be doing 90 day visa-runs or 90 day reports as before.

I am waiting for the word "Multiple" to disappear,

Would not be surprised if the word "Multiple" will be replaced by "Monthly". We will be doing monthly visa-runs and monthly reportings.

Cheers.

Whats their game?

For ages they hunt down people who have not concisely adhered to the rules.

Then they suggest a less stringent visa could be available (subject to legislation).

My opinion like many on here is it won't happen

For instance just think how many staff they could lose by making things easier like forgetting about the stupid 90 day address report. Hopefully they would be the real pricks.

Doubt that would be a good thing for the career Immo officer.

Some fool is talking out his hot air port.

Its all about the money, just to repeat myself.

As many of the posts on TV prove, it is practically impossible for the government to control immigration officers and get them to consistently apply a set of visa rules. Judging by the abundance of condo for rent signs that have appeared in the last few months on every power pole near where I live, I wonder if many traditional long stay visitors might already have departed the LOS?

Although I rather doubt it, this might possibly be an attempt by the government to welcome long stay visitors (and their money!) back by introducing a new (simpler?) visa that makes it harder for immigration to drive still more people away.

• Like 1

Can guarantee that the Thai government does not understand or care about any of your points. You cannot project your cultural norms onto theirs.

"You cannot project your cultural norms onto theirs."

Cultural norms?

My, my someone is certainly full of himself. Bloated egos apparently precipitate verbal flatulence.

• Like 1

It might bring more people to Thailand but for those who come anyway perhaps they will stay longer.

There's a couple from Denmark staying for part of the winter in the house next door to me. They came for 3 months to escape the cold back home. They've been coming here every year for about 10 years now.

Why three months ? Because that's the limit without needing to do unnecessary and perhaps costly travel on visa runs to other countries. So it's simple, they come for three months then go back home.

These people are here only to escape the winter so a 6 months visa would suit them perfectly and who knows, maybe next year they will stay for 4 months or even a little longer. Multiply that by 100's of thousands of people and it could be the difference between a tourist season boom or bust affecting the entire industry.

One thing's for sure - they will never be doing any visa runs so unless this is changed the limit to their stay will always be three months maximum and I know they don't like to go to immigration after 60 days looking for a 30 day extension. Nobody wants to plan to visit government offices looking for visa extensions during their long winter holidays in their retirement.

My mother who's here right now came for two months this winter. She won't ever do a visa run or go to immigration to do an extension, the tourist visa is valid for 2 months so she came for 2 months.

This proposed change is welcome and will affect a lot of people, especially older people of my mothers generation who in my experience tend to plan carefully, stick to the rules by the letter and take no risks at all.

My mum didn't like the sound of arriving on a visa without the visa validity covering the entire period of travel, I know she held off on getting it until just before she came for this very reason despite the fact that I told her it doesn't matter and you can enter on the last day of validity.

Different generations have very different outlooks and a lot of the winter tourists are retirees from my mothers generation.

Ooooh, sounds great.

Though I'm married to a Thai, I choose a retirement extension cos it's simpler but ties up 800Kb!

We are here for about 6 months, in the winter here - to escape the winter in South East Spain LOL.

How I would love a 6 month multiple entry visa for 2,000b.

However, if it sounds too good to be true - it probably is.....

What Thailand has to wrap its head around is there are people who are under 50 years old and want to LIVE in Thailand for extended periods of time and ARE NOT TOURISTS. These people already have their own money or a business in another country and will not be a threat to loss of jobs for Thai people.

If they do this then a lot of problems for LONG TIME visitors or short time EXPATS under 50 years old will be solved for everyone.

This is such a smart idea that I'm sure Thailand will never do it.

It might even suit part timers who are on retirement extensions.....

I'd be pissed if this came to pass and had bought a TE visa.

Sorry if I'm reading you the wrong way but it sounds a bit sad to me.... the fact that other people might benefit from a change in regulation that in NO WAY limits the status of those on TE Visa would be annoying to them? Smacks of envy to me... the source of many a problem in the world today and almost never helpful.

Can guarantee that the Thai government does not understand or care about any of your points. You cannot project your cultural norms onto theirs.

"You cannot project your cultural norms onto theirs."

Cultural norms?

My, my someone is certainly full of himself. Bloated egos apparently precipitate verbal flatulence.

It means they think differently...

It would be much better to have a reasonable solution to the 90-day-report nonsense, and a better way to do the retirement extension. Has anyone from Phuket been able to do the extension at an immigration office out of Phuket? It should be possible, and will give it a try in Phang Nga tomorrow. Will keep you posted.

• Like 1

i have many under 50 friends who are spending money in other asian countries this year who will be happy if this happens

assuming they don't fall in love in/with their current abodes wai2.gif

That is the motivation for the Thai government. Been told many are not buying up condos and lots of apartments go unoccupied. Cambodia is less than B10K a year for a multi entry and working permits are easy. These newly enforced visa stipulations are costing them money and good will.

Thailand has great resources for doing business in China but Thai immigration and customs just get in the way.

It might bring more people to Thailand but for those who come anyway perhaps they will stay longer.

There's a couple from Denmark staying for part of the winter in the house next door to me. They came for 3 months to escape the cold back home. They've been coming here every year for about 10 years now.

Why three months ? Because that's the limit without needing to do unnecessary and perhaps costly travel on visa runs to other countries. So it's simple, they come for three months then go back home.

These people are here only to escape the winter so a 6 months visa would suit them perfectly and who knows, maybe next year they will stay for 4 months or even a little longer. Multiply that by 100's of thousands of people and it could be the difference between a tourist season boom or bust affecting the entire industry.

One thing's for sure - they will never be doing any visa runs so unless this is changed the limit to their stay will always be three months maximum and I know they don't like to go to immigration after 60 days looking for a 30 day extension. Nobody wants to plan to visit government offices looking for visa extensions during their long winter holidays in their retirement.

My mother who's here right now came for two months this winter. She won't ever do a visa run or go to immigration to do an extension, the tourist visa is valid for 2 months so she came for 2 months.

This proposed change is welcome and will affect a lot of people, especially older people of my mothers generation who in my experience tend to plan carefully, stick to the rules by the letter and take no risks at all.

My mum didn't like the sound of arriving on a visa without the visa validity covering the entire period of travel, I know she held off on getting it until just before she came for this very reason despite the fact that I told her it doesn't matter and you can enter on the last day of validity.

Different generations have very different outlooks and a lot of the winter tourists are retirees from my mothers generation.

Can guarantee that the "seller" should understand the "buyer" particularly when there are many tourist destinations in the cold European winter.

Can guarantee that the "seller" should understand the "buyer" particularly when there are many tourist destinations in the cold European winter.

"Should" and "does" are not the same! I agree wholeheartedly that Thai's "should" make more attempt to understand the foreigners that contribute an estimated 6% to their GDP. But they don't with the result that the Thai government in common with most Thais "does" not really understand their needs. I can only assume this is because they don't care.

The details of the visa have yet to be revealed but the Ministry is hoping that the legislature will approve the proposal by Chinese New Year next month.

I really love the government here... There's this proposal that a Ministry has proposed and we're hoping the Legislature will approve it by next month. But we can't or won't tell you what the details of the proposal are. whistling.gif

These people are here only to escape the winter so a 6 months visa would suit them perfectly and who knows, maybe next year they will stay for 4 months or even a little longer.

The retirement extension is designed with them in mind. Easy and cheap to obtain; the total cost per year (excluding any fee their consulate may make for confirmation of income) should not exceed 3000B, including one re-entry permit.

Maybe you should suggest it to them?

While you make a good point KittenKong, immigration at many offices now are not accepting the embassies confirmation of income letter. Making it difficult for those folks who chose not to bring in 800k Baht. ukrules makes a very good point. It could bring in much more tourist revenue over the long run.

Do you have a reference for this? I have never heard of Thai Immigration anywhere not accepting a letter, only sometimes requesting verification of the income from the applicant.

This is a very good idea and hope will happens. not only convenient for westerners that come here in Winter. China, Korea and Japan have very cold winters too, and Thailand may be a good Winter vacation or retirement destination for those countries. I believe that ASEAN exchanges will make Thailand to review many immigration rules in the future.

It is. Most of the expats I know in the years here go to Thailand for a winter vacation at least once, and I know plenty of ethnic Japanese who do as well. Think about how often we see Japanese tourists show up in the news.

Probably, Thailand will become a periodic destination for me, although now back in Japan, I think my favorite spot was Chiang Mai. I could see living there in theory (although not for me in specific), and I can definitely see me spending a longer time there at some point. I'll be back during the Japanese summer, actually, when I have a very long holiday considering (six weeks or so).

• Like 1

The Philippines retirement visa permits multiple entry, for life. They understand the meaning of "retirement", and the initial payment, equal to 500,000 Baht against Thailand's 800,000 may be drawn upon after 6 months to purchase land for a house, invest in a business in the Phils, whatever. One can use it!

The visa is in the passport, so one is free to travel around and return to the Philippines. And by the way, you can work in your business, help the family, friends whoever, busk in the streets, play piano in a night club or go and help with the harvest on a farm. None of this sneaking around the loopholes in the Thai system, and hiding from regional authorities immigration police as in Thailand. Enjoy life and contribute to the community, without looking over shoulder all the time.

Who ever said you coud not use the 800k?

They must be on a savings account , at least, 3 months before your visa application, and remain on the account till after your (evti. renewed) 1 year visa starts, but, as far as I know you are authorised to use the money from that account after it, though I became the advice to take it out a bit at a time, like for paying for the cost of living here, not all in one time a week later, as it would appear in the bank statement the next year, and you might get into problems.

It is indeed known that 'some people', for a 'price', offer the 'service' to put the 800k on a savings account for you, in case you don't have such an amount, but, only some immigration offices seem to turn a blind eye on that, when it's organised ...by and with 'friends' (I've even seen quite some advertisings for this on 'the other paper''s site, and on TA I think), and entering this, illegal, practise is IMO like putting a finger into a meat grinder, better avoid it, as someone might come up with the idea to turn it on when you'd refuse to be 'generous' on some other occasion you never thought of...

Get rid of 90-day reporting. Complete waste of a day.

I'd for sure too want to get rid of it, but, the Thai Immigration Police wants to keep track of you, meaning have your present address in Thailand, and, alas, I doubt it very much all the Farangs staying here, especially the ones the Police would like to keep a discrete eye on, would systematically go to the Immigration Office to have any/every change of address being registered there. So, IMO, the 90-day reporting will remain, because of some of us, Farangs', wrong attitude, not because the Thais are great fans of paperwork (what they surely are though)...

Yes what a wonderful development this would be...I've just turned 73 and finally retired driving a school bus in West Australia...I'm still quite fit and in the past have obtained a.tourist visa and just stayed the 59 days and then gone home. Its quite cheap to travel from Perth (Aus) Like less then Aus $400 mostly ...I would be very happy to pay 3000 bht for a longer stay in Thailand. A tourist visa with the extension for a 90 day stay in Thailand cost about 3500 bht plus a lot of wasting time, you often have to alter your holiday plans so you can get to Thai immigration to do the business...the money side of things for me is not an issue, it is just a wonderful option but I don't really don't want to get a retirement visa because I like the Idea of flitting to and from Thailand from Australia and have the choice of living in Thailand for a longer time and my home Australia...GIVE IT A GO THAILAND I'M SURE It WILL WORK. I WOULD CERTAINLY USE IT.

Wed 14 Jan 2015, 6:18 pm

Several years ago, you could take care of visa business at any Immigration Office, just as you could mail a package at any Post Office. For various reasons and at different times, I have done visa extensions and 90 Day Reports in Bangkok, Korat and Nong Khai even though I live in Khon Kaen. Then they changed and began enforcing the policy that you had to take care of business at the Immigration Office which had jurisdiction over your place of residence. I don't know how intensively or evenly that policy is being enforced now, but they were serious when it was first implemented. I mailed my 90 Report to Bangkok which was handling the mail-in reports more efficiently than Nong Khai (who handled Khon Kaen at the time). Bangkok processed the report, but told me not to send it to them anymore. That was many years ago, now.

It would be much better to have a reasonable solution to the 90-day-report nonsense, and a better way to do the retirement extension. Has anyone from Phuket been able to do the extension at an immigration office out of Phuket? It should be possible, and will give it a try in Phang Nga tomorrow. Will keep you posted.

I tend to avoid issuing a guarantee for an entity I have no control over, nor is it my place to tell people what they can project or not.

I can only speak for myself and I am in agreement that I am but a small, alien voice in Thailand, but happy none-the-less.