Which country has the most public holidays?

webfact

holidays and holidays - within Thailand I've found the observance/recognition of these days varies.

Ms O'Steen is an accountant for a private/commercial co, think she would get about half those claimed 16 days as holidays, more likely to be working on days when schools/banks/gov't agencies have the day off; getting Songkran, the 2 Royal birthdays and a few of the major Buddhist festivals only. Unsure, maybe it's made up for in her annual leave entitlement.

This site lists the following - 14, what are the other two?

The 4 provinces Narathiwat, Pattani, Yala, Satun get the first Day of Chinese New Year also, as well as 2 Muslim hols in ? December

List of National and Public holidays in Thailand for the year 2015
  • New Year’s Day is on Thursday, January 01, 2015
  • Makha Bucha Day is on Monday, March 02, 2015
  • Chakri Day is on Monday, April 06, 2015
  • Songkran (Thai New Year) is on Monday, April 13, 2015
  • Labour Day is on Friday, May 01, 2015
  • Coronation Day is on Tuesday, May 05, 2015
  • Mid Year Bank Holiday is on Wednesday, July 01, 2015
  • Asarnha Bucha Day is on Thursday, July 30, 2015
  • Visakha Bucha Day is on Thursday, July 30, 2015
  • HM The Queen’s Birthday Thailand is on Wednesday, August 12, 2015
  • Chulalongkorn Day is on Friday, October 23, 2015
  • HM The King’s Birthday is on Saturday, December 05, 2015
  • Constitution Day Thailand is on Thursday, December 10, 2015
  • New Year’s Eve is on Thursday, December 31, 2015

Bank holiday on July, 1st is not a holiday. Only banks are closed.

These days many companies in the US shut down from around xmas eve until after the first of the year: in that case add an extra 7 days at least.

Also, there is a holiday that is always on a Thursday, and many employers and all schools close that Friday for a 4-day weekend.

Employees in Austria have a total of 38 holidays, including 25 statutory holidays and 13 public holidays.

I also remember when I was in Russia , it felt like there were 2 a month.

dont mix up public govermental holy days with vacation !!

vacation can get up from about 12 to 28 working days !

except gvt officials, they have nearly every day a day off work,

except when they take their obligatory sick-leaves;

Best conditions you have in Vienna comunal gvt;

as of stress syndroms, they get retirement usuually with an age of less than 50,

normal retirement is 65;

the best was a regular jailed guy,

when he went again out of jail with 45 years,

GVT sent him to early retirement of stress symptom ! with 45 !

as he was feeling the boring life, he did again some burgling,

as excuse he told the Judge he was boring the life !

Finaly he went again in Jail and his retirement were cancelled !!

Those Asian countries with a lot of public holidays have the least amount of annual leave. It all balances out.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

In Thailand "annual leave" is something staff reward themselves!!

At Songkran my staff go home for "a couple of days", if I am lucky, they return after a couple of weeks like nothing has happened!!

Worst thing is: You get used to it..................................coffee1.gif

yes we get used to this,

and no one worries

When I lived in Brazil it felt like there was a holiday every other week.

Someone from Argentina told me they were trying to come up with more holidays so that there will be at least one 3-day weekend per month. Great for productivity, "hey, don't work so hard, it's a short week."

The US has holidays that are always on Sunday (Father's Day, Mother's Day, Easter), so they would fall off this count.

this holidays in every country on sundays, where they are celebrated,

some countries like to celebrate every religious holiday,

never mind which confession they are;

Thais have 3 times new year !

I believe this list is not current and does not include the Thai extension of the last Christmas/New Year's holidays to get more tourist dollars in the till. It is rumored that Thailand will extend Songkran by 5 days and start 2015 Christmas

Now all they would need to do is make the Chinese New Year an official public holiday period and there Thailand would have by far the most public holidays of any country in the world. Not that that's a bad thing of course!

But even before I read this article, I already knew that Thailand had some of the most generous public holiday periods in the world, with more days than most countries. I'm actually surprised it's not number 1!

Also, sick leave in Thailand is extremely generous compared to anywhere else in the world. Most companies pay 30 days per calendar year for full-time employees, whereas even in supposedly "generous" Australia or European countries it's a mere 7-8 days or so, depending on the country and may even be less.

There are also a lot of other provisions for holidays for full-time employees in Thailand, including marriage leave (7-10 days), leave to become a monk (albeit this one is usually unpaid but is granted up to 90 days), personal leave to run errands (7 days), maternity leave (90 days) and others.

It's only when we get to additional holidays, i.e. recreational leave that European countries and to a lesser extent, Australia start to shine. They get at least 14 days, often up to a month of recreational leave per year, whereas Thais are only entitled to 6 days minimum, though most companies give 7-14. Some only grant 14 days after a year of service though.