New Sidi boots

dave_boo

i am using Sidi Vertigo boots now along others for my fast spirited rides and for track riding.

it is compromised nicely for track and road riding and very comfy for such a boot and my feet never get wet.

Bought them for 4900 thb from Paddock from discount which was a great price that time.

Looking for Vortices that time but they are not as comfy as Vertigos but much more better and safer for track of course, still not super compromised for daily/road use.

But, if you are looking for boots just to use them on the roads, i believe another set of perforated Sidi Cobra is the perfect choice, especially the Gore Tex ones:

http://www.sidisport.com/eng/scheda.php?macro=2&id=15&lng_riv=

Sidi Cobra Air is also good enough for the climate here with full perforation.

http://www.sidisport.com/eng/scheda.php?macro=2&id=12&lng_riv=

If you want full touring boots, there are other brands better than Sidi. Sidi is good at doing boots for fast rides IMO.

Check Panda Rides, lots of good prices Daytonas, TCX, Revit and Gaerne touring boots there at discount before new year.

I like this Vitesse model. But no size for me that time.

Boots_Vitesse_Glove2.jpg

and of course Daytona boots are great. Made in Germany, hand made and they go forever plus looks really good. One was at discount 6 months ago and going for 5900 THB! Now prices are up but worth it.

http://www.pandarider.com/Panda/Product_Boots_daytona.htm

Boots_Daytona_410111.jpg

Cobra Air are what I have now....don't really want to go with them again for my new get-up. I chose to keep looking at SIDI because that's what I have had a pleasant experience with. But I am not turned off looking at other brands either.

I've read about the Daytonas; they are considered the creme de la creme for ADV, but their line-up having all full grain leather with the exception of the short Journey turned me off.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Little bit paranoid there fella ?

I'm not LL2 smile.png

You wear what you want to wear, at least you are wearing protective gear. My comment was in no way having a dig at you, as I didn't even look at the specs on your pants. Purely reporting that my pants don't flow much air, although for some reason they aren't over warm !

"You only have to be right once for all those years of paranoia to pay off". Or is it "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't really out to get you"?

I just came out of a discussion in the new forum that brought to mind Affleck's "That's gross...that's racist" comments and it just seemed that you were trying to kid glove me...which I hate as it makes me feel as though I am being treated as an infant. If I misunderstand your post, and apparently I did, I apologise. My comments still stand as far as the level of kit I wear however.

I have some TCX touring boots I rarely wear. I got tired of changing the position of my gear lever when I wear MX boots. Now I just wear Forma TX Terrain boots with waterproof socks in the rainy season. The only thing waterproof about these boots is they don't let the water out.

BM rebadge these boots and sell them at 5x the Forma price!! post-141207-14214226199574_thumb.jpg

Never worry about even big dogs in these, although RSD has my thinking about knees...

but their line-up having all full grain leather with the exception of the short Journey turned me off.

Exact reason I bought the A-Stars. Some synthetic leather used in them so no issues with rot.

Not the climate for leather here - for footwear anyway.

Sure... Was just a thought.My Kevlar jeans are quite thick with not so much flow !

If that was an underhanded comment that I don't wear sufficient protective gear....just come out and say it!

I'll agree that I don't wear as much protection as I probably should or can even afford. In my (perhaps inexcusable?) defence, I ride nowhere near the bike's potential and definitely not as hard (crazy?) as some of the other posters here. Perhaps that's just an excuse, but I am comfortable when I arrive and put on away major trips all the time...so perhaps my comfort level contributes to the safety net? I'd like to believe so.

Having said that; I do have have the Klim Overland jacket/pants in bound as well as a pair of Rev'it Phantom gloves. I'm looking at boots now trying to complete the ADV outfit in preparation of the Tiger 800 and want to at lest look the part, have the protection, and be able not to worry about a little rain now and again.

Note that I will not get a modular helmet though! Too many compromises for my taste.

Little bit paranoid there fella ?

I'm not LL2 smile.png

You wear what you want to wear, at least you are wearing protective gear. My comment was in no way having a dig at you, as I didn't even look at the specs on your pants. Purely reporting that my pants don't flow much air, although for some reason they aren't over warm !

why you mention my name? what do you now about me?

if I tell, I am not a moron like cornishcarlos, do you like it?

you are definitely not ll2, you need to reach a certain level, a stable level:) not on a shaky level and not as a person your post states.

Because we love you LL2, it's more fun when you are involved smile.png

oh, you are pampering me cornishcarlos:)

if that is the case, it is OKlaugh.png

it is god to love someone, I love you toobiggrin.png

Edited by ll2

i am using Sidi Vertigo boots now along others for my fast spirited rides and for track riding.

it is compromised nicely for track and road riding and very comfy for such a boot and my feet never get wet.

Bought them for 4900 thb from Paddock from discount which was a great price that time.

Looking for Vortices that time but they are not as comfy as Vertigos but much more better and safer for track of course, still not super compromised for daily/road use.

But, if you are looking for boots just to use them on the roads, i believe another set of perforated Sidi Cobra is the perfect choice, especially the Gore Tex ones:

http://www.sidisport.com/eng/scheda.php?macro=2&id=15&lng_riv=

Sidi Cobra Air is also good enough for the climate here with full perforation.

http://www.sidisport.com/eng/scheda.php?macro=2&id=12&lng_riv=

If you want full touring boots, there are other brands better than Sidi. Sidi is good at doing boots for fast rides IMO.

Check Panda Rides, lots of good prices Daytonas, TCX, Revit and Gaerne touring boots there at discount before new year.

I like this Vitesse model. But no size for me that time.

Boots_Vitesse_Glove2.jpg

and of course Daytona boots are great. Made in Germany, hand made and they go forever plus looks really good. One was at discount 6 months ago and going for 5900 THB! Now prices are up but worth it.

http://www.pandarider.com/Panda/Product_Boots_daytona.htm

Boots_Daytona_410111.jpg

Cobra Air are what I have now....don't really want to go with them again for my new get-up. I chose to keep looking at SIDI because that's what I have had a pleasant experience with. But I am not turned off looking at other brands either.

I've read about the Daytonas; they are considered the creme de la creme for ADV, but their line-up having all full grain leather with the exception of the short Journey turned me off.

yes, but Daytona models have gore tex and it is real leather means it breathes naturally. and their leather is top notch. Daytona boots have the best workmanship I see imo and they last forever.

some Sidi boots are micro fiber, not leather, I mean cobra, vertigo and some of their sport riding boots. so check it out.

Edited by ll2

+1 for the ST Air. Flows air really well once you're moving (say > 50 kmh) and, for me, pretty comfortable to walk in. Also quick and easy to put on.

I also find that, 'cos the toe is relatively flat compared to some other boots, upshifting is very easy.

Note that I will not get a modular helmet though! Too many compromises for my taste.

I've always been a full face guy but then I bought a Shoei Neotec. As a general purpose helmet for Thailand I really can't fault it.

My first helmet with a proper seal around the edge and a chin curtain, my current Icon Ghost Airframe, is so nice and quiet that I don't think I could live with more noise. It is good enough to ride without my iems, but that's boring. Add in my (unfounded?) concerns about there being a structural weakness where the flip face attaches at the bottom as well as the added weight and I don't think that style is for me.

Of course I like being wrong and learning...so if anyone thinks they can convince me otherwise go ahead!

Yes with the yellow face shield. Really like it.

Looks good. And very quiet you say.

Do you wear glasses ? How is it to put on while wearing them - or shades ?

How is the peripheral vision ?

Extremely quiet especially compared to my old HJC helmets.

No glasses, but occasionally a pair of Oakleys (don't know the model number as I got them at the PX a while ago..but they're the 2 tone plastic arms that are slightly flat). With the stock pads it was a really tight fit, but the stock pads were too small. I ordered the XL pads and not only feel better but the shades slide in easily enough now.

Peripheral vision is ok, but I naturally have good, and the only thing that bothers me is the widest part at the lower edges. Means I have to turn my head a bit further when doing shoulder checks.

Hi Dave. I have been looking for a decent pair of boots for years. Contrary to what ll2 said I had bad experience with a pair of Sidi Vertigo Goretex boots. They weren't waterproof and the soles fell off. The soles fall off a lot of my boots for some reason, the zips go, the stitching breaks up, they start to leak etc. TCX Infinity boots are top quality, a lot of the bike plod in the UK use them. BMW rebrand them and whack a premier on them along with a BMW badge. I have been looking for a simple boot, stitched soles, high legs, easy on/off and waterproof. 2 years ago I bought a pair of Alpinestar Scouts from the US. Think they were US$200 plus shipping. They are by far the best boots I have owned. I ride in all weather, including prolonged wet weather. I rode up to Chiang Mai, 900km in the pissing rain and my feet stayed dry. They have seen a lot of wet weather and mud, they still look reasonable too. Would be ideal for your 800 Trumpet, they do take a while to break in though.

Hi Dave. I have been looking for a decent pair of boots for years. Contrary to what ll2 said I had bad experience with a pair of Sidi Vertigo Goretex boots. They weren't waterproof and the soles fell off. The soles fall off a lot of my boots for some reason, the zips go, the stitching breaks up, they start to leak etc. TCX Infinity boots are top quality, a lot of the bike plod in the UK use them. BMW rebrand them and whack a premier on them along with a BMW badge. I have been looking for a simple boot, stitched soles, high legs, easy on/off and waterproof. 2 years ago I bought a pair of Alpinestar Scouts from the US. Think they were US$200 plus shipping. They are by far the best boots I have owned. I ride in all weather, including prolonged wet weather. I rode up to Chiang Mai, 900km in the pissing rain and my feet stayed dry. They have seen a lot of wet weather and mud, they still look reasonable too. Would be ideal for your 800 Trumpet, they do take a while to break in though.

Good to hear about your experiences.

I can appreciate value (probably make a Scot blush at how cheap I am) so the information about the Alpinestar Scouts is very welcome).

Yep. I see many sidis breaking apart at track days. I wear minr only for track days and for some spirited rides but they are really in good condition right now.

But alpinestar is worst. Many riders complain about their dropping quality level.

Luckily during my last visit back home, my cousin gave me his pair of Oxtar 300 euro touring/adv boots - now Oxtar is known as TCX. It is like brand new as he used it a couple of times only. Very tough boot and looks like can go forever. For going around the world. But it is also comfy.And as it is a gore tex boot, can wear it at any climate.

I think will use this boot for a long time.

post-184955-14215652650764_thumb.jpg

post-184955-14215652840448_thumb.jpg

post-184955-14215652992402_thumb.jpg

I bought some Alpinestars gear in Singapore, jacket and gloves. It was all made in Vietnam and the quality was definitely worse than previous stuff I have had. Ironically the Alpinestars boots I have are made in Thailand and are exceptionally well made. Sure those TCX boots will be good for a few years, I might get a pair myself.

They weren't waterproof and the soles fell off. The soles fall off a lot of my boots for some reason

Funny you should say that.

EVERY pair of motorcycle boots I've owned in this country has had the soles come off. From Alpinestars to top of the range Sidi Vortice. Only my Formas have retained their soles and that's because they're fairly new.

I was told that during a heavy rainstorm, there's a lot of salt water on the ground from overflows from the many fish/shrimp farms and this helps dissolve the glue holding the soles on.

+1 for the ST Air. Flows air really well once you're moving (say > 50 kmh) and, for me, pretty comfortable to walk in. Also quick and easy to put on.

I also find that, 'cos the toe is relatively flat compared to some other boots, upshifting is very easy.

all true! Never had such a comfortable boot in over 30 years of riding.

They weren't waterproof and the soles fell off. The soles fall off a lot of my boots for some reason

Funny you should say that.

EVERY pair of motorcycle boots I've owned in this country has had the soles come off. From Alpinestars to top of the range Sidi Vortice. Only my Formas have retained their soles and that's because they're fairly new.

I was told that during a heavy rainstorm, there's a lot of salt water on the ground from overflows from the many fish/shrimp farms and this helps dissolve the glue holding the soles on.

When I bought my boots at paddock they told me to stay away from some alpinestars and sidi models because the soles might fall of. :)

They did on my Cobra Airs. Took them to a cobbler and had the suckers sewn on with what I swear is the same twine they use in saddle stitching.

Funny thing...was looking at boots and Ms. dave_boo almost knocked my laptop down to the floor stabbing at the Gaerne Balance oiled boots she saw. She has pretty good taste.wai2.gif

balance_oiled_brown-500x500.jpg

They did on my Cobra Airs. Took them to a cobbler and had the suckers sewn on with what I swear is the same twine they use in saddle stitching.

Funny thing...was looking at boots and Ms. dave_boo almost knocked my laptop down to the floor stabbing at the Gaerne Balance oiled boots she saw. She has pretty good taste.wai2.gif

balance_oiled_brown-500x500.jpg

cool man. but not brown. too casual and relaxed:)

panda rider has some nice Gaernes.

i like stylish leather boots for touring as well. the ones does not have many stickers or emblems. basically the ones does not look like a starship trooper boot.

so Gaerne, Daytona or Vitesse models makes a lot of sense. Both stylish and sturdy like hell. almost you can hand these to your son 50 years later!