Looking for a person to paint my condo

vision2014

I have a 55 SQM condo and I hope someone can recommend a painter. I am not price sensitive. My priority is to avoid headaches including inferior work quality and the Thai punctuality challenge. Ideally I would prefer a foreign owned Company who manages the Thai painter but this is not essential. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

You are correct to look for a shop/company that would have experienced help. I wonder if you asked a place such as HomePro they would have a list of fellows that are "their painters" they outsource...or ask one of the sales clerks in the paint section if they know someone with experience. Of course you would need be there to keep an eye on the quality of work. Give the painters a basic price you would offer, then say if they do a superior job, you will give them a bonus. "Superior" means working X number of hours straight before going on a break; not breaking light fixtures or wall items when removing them or placing them, no dried up drops of paint on the floor or elsewhere, no paint splattered on the floor or woodwork, (more to add to this) ...... and a good clean up.

A few years ago I thought I would give my Thai friend and his cousin the job of covering ONE wall that I had painted a different color while had rented the condo. I didn't have the time (working) and they could use the extra cash. I found out they never had experience of painting; for in Isaan, the people basically have plain concrete walls inside and outside (I have seen this in the villages, not cities) . So basic knowledge of placing protective masking tape over wood trim, window and door frames ; placing newspaper on the floor so the paint roller doesn't splatter tiny white spots on the floor or the paint brush doesn't leave a mess if it is dropped (have you ever noticed how Thais that paint a wall outside along a sidewalk do not use cloth or paper to cover the concrete or block walkway?); how to hold a paint brush at an angle...---- Thank goodness I was there to get them started or it would have been a mess.

Can't really help other than to confirm that you need to be present unless you have someone else to represent you.

Had my condo repainted (ceiling and walls) 18 months ago, I was in the UK but my significant other (Thai) told them that after two coats it still wasn't good enough.

She had had a big row with the the painter who asked "why she cared as I was a falang", anyway he apologised to her next day and did a third coat (c3000bt) on my small condo.

Looks fine.

Edited by lou62

I dread the thought of getting my condo painted by a thai. I can just imagine all my furniture/floors covered in paint drips. I will do it myself when the time comes.

Best decision.

Used a few companies over the years for my business, cheap and expansive , end result was the same. No matter how many times I told to use plastic and masking tape, it was never done and without a fail had to be rapainted for one reason or another.

55sqm is small, do it yourself , will be done in one day and easier than OP thinks

If you are only doing interior walls only , why don't you do it yourself. If you need woodwork painted then just as well to get someone in, but if its walls only its not difficult

Entirely agree. Interestingly, some years ago I painted the outside of my house, over a two week period. During the second week I had a visit from a Thai 'official' advising me that I could be committing an offence, as I was taking a job off a Thai and could be construed as working without a permit.!

As the OP is working inside there would not be the same problem.

Never found out if the strangers advice was correct.

Get a Thai to do painting. YOU MUST BE JOKING. We had a so called painting contractor to do outside our house.

Sacked them after the first day, Paint everywhere but on the walls, bathroom window broken (foot through it)

They did not clear broken glass ,just laughed thought it was funny.

They were not happy when they were told you will not get paid because of the mess /damage. Do not come back.

• 11 months later...

I am also looking for a painter now. 78 squares, looking to have walls and ceiling done.

One quote yesterday was 17000thb, which excluded paint....Labour and all the tools in that price.

Seems high to me for three rooms but ceilings are tough.

Any thoughts cheers

If you can do it yourself, do that.

Disappointment is the norm here , for work like this..

All will say will do good job, but wont do any such thing.

you will be annoyed and disappointed and ripped off.

Its a very sad day when i have to let them in my home. wai2.gif

I do understand the issues but hoping surely there are some firms doing reasonable work.

At reasonable price

House painting is my favourite chore and would love to do it but just done surgery that will not allow me to do that yet. I need it done now so on the hunt for a contact

Cheers

Lumbini thanks yes I took a number from a home pro paint clerk and I have that guy coming tomorrow, so prompt, 3 days for 3 men and do all prep n repairs, primer plus two coats and will do ceilings as well. Will report on quaiity/value post job.

The prep is everything and the damage done by most is astonishing . Even when you go look at new condo projects for sale the paint splattered everywhere it's not suppose to be and unprepared surfaces all add up to a real third world look . When I had home pro do they have big name to protect to its more than worth the extra . I learned the hard way destroying a beautiful opportunity on my last condo and the owner had to redu charging me .

One of the great advantages of living in a condo is that you can do all the decorating yourself with just a small folding step-ladder and a bare minimum of tools.

The only person in Thailand that I trust 100% to do a good and reasonably-priced job on time is me.

But if I had to get it done by someone else I think that I would check out Home Pro and the other similar shops also. As mentioned, at least they have some sort of reputation to protect.

Edited by KittenKong