UK anti-Semitic incidents hit record in 2014, says charity

webfact

I think people use the analogy simply because of the irony.

I am well aware of the suffering and persecution Jews experienced at the hands of Nazis in the Holocaust, and am amazed that Jewish survivors have gone and inflicted similar suffering (obviously not gas chambers) on Palestinians...dehumanizing them, ethnic cleansing to make room for their own people, theft of property and land, daily humiliations, beatings and murder, creation of ghettos for refugees..

I cannot understand how many Jews, in the light of their own history, do not feel sympathy and even empathy for Palestinians.

To state that there is a similarity does not actually make it so.

These comparisons are not made due to any ironic sense, but in order to delegitimize and dehumanize.

Well, we will just have to agree to disagree. I think it is Israel that is doing all the delegitimizing and dehumanizing towards the Palestinians. How about their right to self determination too?

Many others experience the same feeling of irony in relation to Nazism and Zionism.

In remarks on the eve of Holocaust Memorial Day two years ago, UK Lib Democratic MP David Ward wrote on his website: “Having visited Auschwitz twice I am saddened that the Jews, who suffered unbelievable levels of persecution during the Holocaust, could within a few years of liberation from the death camps be inflicting atrocities on Palestinians in the new State of Israel.”

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jan/21/uk-politicians-beware-familiar-antisemitic-attacks-labour

You can think what you wish, it still doesn't make the comparison valid. Just reaffirms your biased agenda.

That others share this view does not make it valid as well, people believe many things, not all of them are correct.

David Ward is hardly an unbiased, neutral voice when it comes to these issues, thanks for bringing him up - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Ward_%28politician%29#Controversy

This topic deals with instances of antisemitism in the UK, as usual, you are turning it into a topic dealing with the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

• Like 1

The UK government appears to think the increase in antisemitism is for real.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

When Obama says "random" (and actually means "random"), the antisemite-blamers cry foul and his staff comments against the criticism are taken with a grain of salt or outright disbelief.

But the UK government supporting antisemite-blamers are believed immediately.

What's the common denominator here?

I have repeatedly asked for those claiming the OP (and the report mentioned in it) to be incorrect, to present credible links to support this. I haven't even discredited the possibility that this is so - merely the facts that no support was offered to this view.

Governments and media do not always give us correct information, true enough, that's still not to say that I'll take the word of an anonymous poster as having more weight. Especially when it is not backed by anything much.

Making basic, objective, and easily verifiable statements about the Israeli/Palestinian conflict is all too often considered anti-Semitism.

Moderate Palestinians and the Israeli peace groups are the only hope for a resolution.

Continued atrocities committed by both sides won't solve anything.

.....whereas anti-Semites and the usual fascist crew riding the anti-Israel horse as cover laughably think that their rubbish should get a free pass. Unfortunately much of the left lines up to do exactly that.

• Like 1

Actually taking some time and reading some of the stuff Community Security Trust publishes, I can confidently say they have no credibility in my book.

You wrote a book thoroughly discrediting CST? Wow, that would take a lot of research. Congratulations. thumbsup.gif

I did not "admit" to anything.

When I make my mind up on someone's opinions it is usually after having prolonged exposure to what he expresses on relevant topics. Usually try not to jump to conclusions, unless its too obvious to interpret otherwise. What I meant was simply, that relying on such comparisons is often indicative of antisemitic bias. It may not always be the case, it may be less pronounced or less obvious, but its there. If someone wishes to simply criticize Israel, there is no specific need to allude to the Nazis - many more fitting examples for comparison. The extra bonus of resorting to the Nazi comparison is aimed at robbing Jews of their right to say anything when antisemitism raises its head.

http://www.truetorahjews.org/issues/haaretzopinion

'Israel and the Diaspora Jewish establishment automatically tag any criticism as anti-Semitic. It’s an old trick – the burden of guilt is shifted from those who perpetrated the Gaza horrors to those who are tainted with so-called anti-Semitism. It’s not us, it’s you, anti-Semitic world. No matter what Israel does, the whole world is against it.

This is nonsense, of course.'

Taking phony offence at even a teensy-weensy bit of 'antisemitism' is the height of hypocrisy, coming from those busily whitewashing the brutal murder, torture and land theft of innocent and helpless civilians. That the whole propaganda PR apparatus would elevate this 'crime' above the treatment of 'non-human' Palestinians speaks volumes about some Jewish values. Non-Jews showing just a 'hint' of anti-Jewish feeling, are the lowest of the low, yet the Israeli State quite happily elevates Jewish citizens above all others.

“Goyim were born only to serve us. Without that, they have no place in the world – only to serve the People of Israel. http://www.timesofisrael.com/5-of-ovadia-yosefs-most-controversial-quotations/

Other Rabbis and political leaders have made similar racist and supremacist statements.

Are Nazi comparisons unfair?

The Nazis called themselves 'The Master Race'. How is this different to Jews calling themselves 'The Chosen Ones'?

If you want to do something about how Jews in general are perceived, make a start by putting your own 'anti-Goy' house in order. wai2.gif

The first link is an opinion piece by Gideon Levy of Haaretz (not sure what was the point of linking it through the truetorahjews.org website, does not add much credibility), a well known holder of radical position on things Israeli. Not the most balanced perspective there.

I don't know that people are taking "phony offence" - that's your opinion, and some of the incidents detailed are hardly "teensy-weensy bits of antisemitism" (obviously, still didn't bother having a look at the report itself). It is not clear if you mean that the people the report mentioned as being targeted by antisemitic incidents or posters on this forum - but either way, the criticism is a deflection. There is no indication of the political activity and position of the people mentioned in the report as for posters in this forum, their positions are hardly uniform. The notion that denouncing one wrong comes at the expense of another is an imaginary construct, and this fake balance, or comparison does not really exist.

The second link is aptly titled "5 of Ovadia Yosef's most controversial quotations" - by itself a little hint that this is not necessarily a general position, unless one truly believes that all Israelis and Jews follow these views (which even then, does not make this a reality). Do many UK Jews adhere to these notions?

The difference between "master race" and "chosen people" is that for starters, one would have to be a religious Jew of a certain creed in order to take "chosen people" seriously. Another difference would be that it does not necessarily denote control over the rest of humanity, in many interpretations it is depicted as more of a burden - albeit one to be appreciated.

Are there many "anti-Goy" (if such a concept even exists) related incidents in the UK?

• Like 2

The UK government appears to think the increase in antisemitism is for real.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

When Obama says "random" (and actually means "random"), the antisemite-blamers cry foul and his staff comments against the criticism are taken with a grain of salt or outright disbelief.

But the UK government supporting antisemite-blamers are believed immediately.

What's the common denominator here?

I have repeatedly asked for those claiming the OP (and the report mentioned in it) to be incorrect, to present credible links to support this. I haven't even discredited the possibility that this is so - merely the facts that no support was offered to this view.

Governments and media do not always give us correct information, true enough, that's still not to say that I'll take the word of an anonymous poster as having more weight. Especially when it is not backed by anything much.

I know what you are asking, morch. However there is no credible evidence that the op is credible in the first place. From what I have read, they have a vested interest in screaming anti-semitism at every turn. And information given in this and previous threads has been ignored and dissembled.

Because you say so?

The OP is backed by a report (link provided on previous posts), the report is being supported by documented cases, and is accepted by the UK police and government. If things are clearly off, it ought to be pretty straightforward to demonstrate the claim. There was no information presented to the effect that the data was incorrect - there were allegations raised against the organization which compiled the report (while glossing over that both the police and the government did not find issue with that). and there were claims that figures were refuted on the BBC (no links provided, so cannot be verified).

• Like 1

Part of paying attention to security reports about rising anti-semitism in the UK is to heed the WARNING SIGNS and take more concrete action before it is too late. Look at a map. See how close the U.K. is to France and Denmark. All dealing with similar things.

There seems to be positive signs that the U.K,. government is taking these threats more seriously than Denmark was. Good!

Denmark synagogue attack seen as ‘wakeup call’ While Jewish community has for years been lobbying for greater security, Danish government hasn’t been forthcoming

http://www.timesofisrael.com/denmark-synagogue-attack-seen-as-wakeup-call/

It's not really "in droves" but certainly there is an increase in Jews leaving Europe for negative reasons. There is nothing wrong with deciding to leave Europe if you're attracted someplace else but if the main reason you're leaving is that you don't feel safe living in your home country, that's a problem.

You don't need to wear a strange cap to know the UK is violent and thugs roam the streets. If you don't want to be a target, then don't draw attention to yourself. This is basic street smarts. Like not wearing gold chains in Thailand. Your average UK thug has probably never met a Jew but if he does, his first thought is 'who is this weird-looking [expletive] with the daft hat?' Get him!' Is this 'racism' or is it tribal + envy + unreasoned violence?

I agree there is growing anti-Jewish feeling, which is unrelated (or only partly related) to Israel, or some intrinsic ancient hatred. More to do with a political and criminal Jewish element, doing immense damage to Jewish reputations, as a whole. These people confirm, in the minds of others, that Jews are predatory and corrupt.

Edited by Maestro
Removed nonsensical part of post.
  • Like 2

Except for the figures quoted there is nothing new in this news.

<quote> "The most common single type of incident in 2014 involved verbal abuse directed at random Jewish people in public," the group said in a report. In many cases, "the victims were ordinary Jewish people, male or female, attacked or abused while going about their daily business in public places,"...

Well, 1,168 incidents reported allows to assume some unreported ones, doesn't it?

What I would like to see in these reports is a fair information on not only victims but perpetrators as well.

The victims are clearly "random ordinary Jewish people".

I would like to see similar general description of perpetrators... but it's nowhere to be seen.

IMHO it would be "specific violent Muslim people". Naturally, it is an assumption only. But I trust my own gut feeling.

The report in its present form looks like it has been edited in Sweden.

Don't you know by now that mentioning perpetrators by ethnic or religion afflation is a taboo

and politically incorrect? god forbid that Muslim be mentioned of fear or reprisal and intimidations

from all Muslim's quarters...

Beside, Jews were used as a whipping post for centuries now, when a group of people want to blame

and hate someone, they usually start with the Jews...nothing new here...

Well we in the Christian West did set some good examples over the centuries using the Jews as a whipping post and that is even before we get to the 20th century.

Such is the joy of religion.

Little to do with religion. Always politics and money.

When I make my mind up on someone's opinions it is usually after having prolonged exposure to what he expresses on relevant topics. Usually try not to jump to conclusions, unless its too obvious to interpret otherwise. What I meant was simply, that relying on such comparisons is often indicative of antisemitic bias. It may not always be the case, it may be less pronounced or less obvious, but its there. If someone wishes to simply criticize Israel, there is no specific need to allude to the Nazis - many more fitting examples for comparison. The extra bonus of resorting to the Nazi comparison is aimed at robbing Jews of their right to say anything when antisemitism raises its head.

'Israel and the Diaspora Jewish establishment automatically tag any criticism as anti-Semitic. It’s an old trick – the burden of guilt is shifted from those who perpetrated the Gaza horrors to those who are tainted with so-called anti-Semitism. It’s not us, it’s you, anti-Semitic world. No matter what Israel does, the whole world is against it.

Taking phony offence at even a teensy-weensy bit of 'antisemitism' is the height of hypocrisy, coming from those busily whitewashing the brutal murder, torture and land theft of innocent and helpless civilians. That the whole propaganda PR apparatus would elevate this 'crime' above the treatment of 'non-human' Palestinians speaks volumes about some Jewish values. Non-Jews showing just a 'hint' of anti-Jewish feeling, are the lowest of the low, yet the Israeli State quite happily elevates Jewish citizens above all others.

“Goyim were born only to serve us. Without that, they have no place in the world – only to serve the People of Israel. http://www.timesofisrael.com/5-of-ovadia-yosefs-most-controversial-quotations/

Other Rabbis and political leaders have made similar racist and supremacist statements.

The Nazis called themselves 'The Master Race'. How is this different to Jews calling themselves 'The Chosen Ones'?

If you want to do something about how Jews in general are perceived, make a start by putting your own 'anti-Goy' house in order. wai2.gif

The first link is an opinion piece by Gideon Levy of Haaretz (not sure what was the point of linking it through the truetorahjews.org website, does not add much credibility), a well known holder of radical position on things Israeli. Not the most balanced perspective there.

I don't know that people are taking "phony offence" - that's your opinion, and some of the incidents detailed are hardly "teensy-weensy bits of antisemitism" (obviously, still didn't bother having a look at the report itself). It is not clear if you mean that the people the report mentioned as being targeted by antisemitic incidents or posters on this forum - but either way, the criticism is a deflection. There is no indication of the political activity and position of the people mentioned in the report as for posters in this forum, their positions are hardly uniform. The notion that denouncing one wrong comes at the expense of another is an imaginary construct, and this fake balance, or comparison does not really exist.

The second link is aptly titled "5 of Ovadia Yosef's most controversial quotations" - by itself a little hint that this is not necessarily a general position, unless one truly believes that all Israelis and Jews follow these views (which even then, does not make this a reality). Do many UK Jews adhere to these notions?

The difference between "master race" and "chosen people" is that for starters, one would have to be a religious Jew of a certain creed in order to take "chosen people" seriously. Another difference would be that it does not necessarily denote control over the rest of humanity, in many interpretations it is depicted as more of a burden - albeit one to be appreciated.

Are there many "anti-Goy" (if such a concept even exists) related incidents in the UK?

It's anti-Goy every time the label of "antisemite" or the allegation of "antisemitic" is abused and falsely applied. This happens on this forum a lot, so I have no doubt it happens everywhere else.

As we have established, there are odds (on) that some, if not many, of the incidents referred to in the OP's report are simply using anti-Zionist or anti-Israel comments to appear to be antisemitic.

It's not really "in droves" but certainly there is an increase in Jews leaving Europe for negative reasons. There is nothing wrong with deciding to leave Europe if you're attracted someplace else but if the main reason you're leaving is that you don't feel safe living in your home country, that's a problem.

You don't need to wear a strange cap to know the UK is violent and thugs roam the streets. If you don't want to be a target, then don't draw attention to yourself. This is basic street smarts. Like not wearing gold chains in Thailand. Your average UK thug has probably never met a Jew but if he does, his first thought is 'who is this weird-looking [expletive] with the daft hat?' Get him!' Is this 'racism' or is it tribal + envy + unreasoned violence?

I agree there is growing anti-Jewish feeling, which is unrelated (or only partly related) to Israel, or some intrinsic ancient hatred. More to do with a political and criminal Jewish element, doing immense damage to Jewish reputations, as a whole. These people confirm, in the minds of others, that Jews are predatory and corrupt.

The second paragraph of your post and the list of 16 reasons which you said count because people allegedly believe them (and which I edited out), are diametrically opposite to what you said in the first paragraph and therefore make no sense in the context of your post. Please feel free to bring them up for discussion one by one, in separate posts, in relation to the subject of this topic, ie an increase of antisemitic incidents in the UK, with citation of references to aggressors who said they believed the particular reason to be true. This would then be an on-topic discussion.

His 'balanced perspective' has already been confirmed by an Israeli ex-minister (...as if the 'trick' isn't already well understood).

Calling someone 'anti-semitic' who isn't, IS phony.

The 'teensy-weensy' comment was in response to your post... '...relying on such comparisons is often indicative of antisemitic bias. It may not always be the case, it may be less pronounced or less obvious, but its there.'

How far do you take this? Is calling a Jew, a 'Jew' indicative of 'anti-semitism'? Apparently so. I've met those who have to use 'Israeli' because they fear saying 'Jew'. Or a British MP stating a 'Jewish Lobby' exists. Everyone knows it exists. Yet saying so is 'anti-semitic'... http://www.breitbart.com/london/2014/10/13/tory-mps-anti-semitic-slur/ The smear of the MP, at the start of the article, is shabby character assassination.

Suppressing dissent and smearing critics is anti-free speech as well as a cause of resentment.

The Rabbi made no religious distinction and his party has influence in government. It isn't whether Jews adhere to these views or not. It is the effect of such views on non-Jews, who don't have the benefit of a forum lawyer, explaining away the Rabbi's views. I am glad you are principled enough to assert that Jews in general should not be blamed for the extremist views of a few and look forward to you offering similar challenge to those who smear all Muslims.

• Like 1

The second paragraph of your post and the list of of 16 reasons which you said count because people allegedly believe them (and which I edited out), are diametrically opposite to what you said in the first paragraph and therefore make no sense in the context of your post. Please feel free to bring them up for discussion one by one, in separate posts, in relation to the subject of this topic, ie an increase of antisemitic incidents in the UK, with citation of references to aggressors who said they believed the particular reason to be true. This would then be an on-topic discussion.

Apologies. I wasn't aware of any rule requiring lists to have separate posts.

The report only deals with allegations in general terms, probably because any abuser is hardly going to itemize multiple beliefs they may hold, to the individual being abused.

I hope one day to see the establishment of FAAST (Foundation Against the Abuse of Skinny &lt;deleted&gt;). Being beaten as a youth for being a lanky streak of p**s has scarred me for life. 'anti-skinnyism' has no place in polite society.

• Like 1

The second paragraph of your post and the list of of 16 reasons which you said count because people allegedly believe them (and which I edited out), are diametrically opposite to what you said in the first paragraph and therefore make no sense in the context of your post. Please feel free to bring them up for discussion one by one, in separate posts, in relation to the subject of this topic, ie an increase of antisemitic incidents in the UK, with citation of references to aggressors who said they believed the particular reason to be true. This would then be an on-topic discussion.

Apologies. I wasn't aware of any rule requiring lists to have separate posts.

The report only deals with allegations in general terms, probably because any abuser is hardly going to itemize multiple beliefs they may hold, to the individual being abused.

I hope one day to see the establishment of FAAST (Foundation Against the Abuse of Skinny <deleted>). Being beaten as a youth for being a lanky streak of p**s has scarred me for life. 'anti-skinnyism' has no place in polite society.

I saw your "list" as a sneaky provocation, a crafty way to publish here (for the 100th time) "reasons" that "other people / not me!" hate Jews. There are no "reasons" for irrational racism. Period ... end of story.

Of course there are no reasons for irrational racism. But when there are rationales, it becomes rational.

What's that word you always use? That's it...."Duh".