Shape up or ship out, Thai officials warned

webfact

Shape up or ship out, officials warned
KRIS BHROMSUTHI
THE NATION

Civil servants must work harder and improve service under new act: Wissanu

BANGKOK: -- DEPUTY Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam yesterday urged civil servants to work harder and improve services to the public, as required under the new State Service Facilitating Act.

Failure to raise the standard and speed of their service could result in disciplinary charges such as transfer or dismissal, he warned. Wissanu made the remarks during the opening of a seminar on the new Act organised by the Office of Public Sector Development Commission.

He told civil servants they needed to prepare themselves within a 180-day framework, adding that a lot of adjustment was required. It was also time for public offices to communicate and explain to the public about the new Act. "There's no excuse for you after the given timeframe [has expired and the Act becomes effective]," said the deputy premier.

Wissanu admitted there had been many complaints of below-standard service.

The purpose of the seminar was for public officials from all government agencies in the central region of the country to be informed about the new Act, which was passed on January 16.

The bill was initiated by Justice Minister and National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) member General Paiboon Koomchaya, who saw it as part of the effort to "return happiness to the people", said Wissanu.

The deputy PM said the ultimate goal for public service improvement was to turn time-consuming, complex and confusing processes with ill-mannered service from officials into "convenient" service centres.

He compared these centres to "7-11" convenience stores, saying the reason people go to "7-11" stores instead of the local market was because they perceived them as being more convenient, faster, cleaner and providing better service. Turning current government agencies into convenience centres was the key, he said.

In order to create this convenience for the people, government agencies must look to create a "one-stop-service" where customers could make their requests and receive their service all under one roof, without having to wander to various desks, offices or buildings.

The one-stop-service centres would also operate inside shopping malls such as CentralWorld and 10 other major shopping locations. However, further details are yet to be confirmed.

The 180-day period before the introduction of the more convenient services will be challenging. State agencies have to prepare a "People's handbook" containing detailed and specific information about the new process and what documents are required, as well as the specific time-frame for completing the services.

Wissanu said the requirements could be hard for some government agencies who had never compiled a handbook before, so the process must begin now.

Article 7 of the Act stated that "in the case where citizens need to request the state's permission, the official authoriser must compile the "people's handbook" that consists of principles, rules, methodology, and conditions of the application.

"It must also describe the process and time frame of the task together with a list of documents and evidence required for the application. The office may allow applicants to submit their applications electronically."

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Shape-up-or-ship-out-officials-warned-30253904.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-12

• Like 2

Please start with Customs and FDA, today I try to clear incoming freight with renewed FDA licence, now they state that is not what is on the licence, but the consideration of the FDA officer.

Please ship this guys out asap......

Actually, improved/speedier service has already started in a number of government agencies. I speak from personal experience. So to all those naysayers, you know not what you are talking about. There really is a big push to improve services for the public and it started before this act was passed. A lot of civil servants are not happy about it due to increased workload, but it is their job to serve the public. Also, a lot of tea money supply links have been, and are being, broken, so this is another reason for them to be unhappy.

• Like 2

Actually, improved/speedier service has already started in a number of government agencies. I speak from personal experience. So to all those naysayers, you know not what you are talking about. There really is a big push to improve services for the public and it started before this act was passed. A lot of civil servants are not happy about it due to increased workload, but it is their job to serve the public. Also, a lot of tea money supply links have been, and are being, broken, so this is another reason for them to be unhappy.

I agree somewhat. The third sentence was really unnecessary and adds little to the remainder of the post.

I agree somewhat. The third sentence was really unnecessary and adds little to the remainder of the post.

I just added the third sentence because many posters go out of their way to put down one thing or another about the country, when they actually have no experience of the subject matter. All rather tedious. Nevertheless, I will take your comment to heart and post only positive things going forward. thumbsup.gif

I see the Thai haterz are out in full force today! I do not deal with the gov workers too often but had really good and efficient service at immigration a few weeks back.

And to those that say that Thais have no work ethic you are mistaken, but not surprising comments here on bitterexpat dot com.

I see normal Thais all day long around Bangkok that bust their ass, preparing food, cleaning hotel rooms, moto taxis (a tuff hard job in the heat and traffic), the noodle guy in my soi who comes every night and works non stop until there are no more customers.

It is really sad to see so much hate directed at the Thais by the posters here, it is getting really old.

Well said. I think your URL description is exactly right - bitterexpat dot com. and fits so many members, especially those that don't seem to have a life, and continually add nasty little posts - (within minutes of any article being posted)

This is a Thai news laugher. Thais essentially have no work ethic. They have no management leadership and developmental skills, so no Thais are actually trained in to a productive environment. The are merely given tasks to perform with no understanding of their need and value to the organization. Thai managers don't really exist. They perceive their role as "supervisors" pacing up and down waiting fr work to be handed in. They have no leadership skills or ability to create a vision and sense of purpose for workers. So shape up or ship out means what by Thai standards? Since they don't have standards or an understanding of true quality, who would be eligible to be shipped out? A fish stinks from the head.

So take your head and go. Stop all the projecting of your short comings and get help. WE can smell what you're cooking.

We need this type of legislation in my country! As govt employees they often have the attitude they are in a position of authority and are doing you a favour by attending to you instead of realizing that they are employed by your tax dollars and required to provide you with the prompt and polite service you are paying for.

To be honest, I've had no problem when dealing with the cops, immigration, customs, DLT, PEA etc. here in Thailand.

Had to renew my DL back home a few years back. What a fiasco as I was "nonresident" and therefore treated like boat person. I didn't mind the procedures so much as the rudeness and arrogance displayed by the DMV staff (not just to me, but others as well).

Then there would just be 50% Thai unemployment while all beauacrats will be imported from India or the PI. But at least all the government agency will then be speaking fluent English. Sounds good to me.