"Healthy" mileage

wowjudo

It's really all about the maintenance- regular oil/filter changes, observing the recommended schedules for checks, changes, and upgrades, replacing things that are worn out, etc can easily see a bike running strong well over 50K miles- there are more than a few that are well above that and run great. You'll hear about touring bikes with over 100K miles running like new, but they tend not to be run as hard as sportbikes, and often have a lot of lower-stress highway miles.

• Like 1

My 1000 Kawi I rode in Lake Tahoe California I would often ride at 120 mph for short bursts Only cause I could get away with it without getting busted. Now a total different story. I got it up to 128 MPH before my knees started shaking. The bike had more to give because I had a 1076 kit in it. But I didn't feel comfy on some of the twisties on that speed. To slow that would be most of the time 75-80 MPH on a liter bike is like turtle speed for me. But everyone is different. If I am taking in scenery obviously 70-80 MPH may be to fast.

OR maybe I misinterpreted what you are asking If it is the gas mileage that would very on many different factors . Carburetor -fuel injected power commander exhaust mods & then wind factor & so on!

Here often 120 kilos is boring as hell on my 650 ER6n 140 KPH bout normal for me. Still only about 70-80 MPH.

Edited by Beardog

Have a agree with rubbersidedown.

Every thing on a mechanical object can be replaced and therefore run for a very long time .

i would buy a bike with 100k on the clock if it was looked after like I look after mine .

Does that help ?

personally dont consider any bike more than 25 k km as second hand.

and it really depends too. a sport bike stressed in track for 25 k km is different than one ridden on the roads for 25k km.

so hard to know.

If you're track riding a litre bike and doing it properly but not doing it professionally, an engine might last you a couple of seasons before it gets a little tired or actually demolishes itself. That could translate into as few as a thousand clicks. Of course, it might decide to go tits up after 20 minutes - that's life.

On the Thailand roads, the engine is the least of your worries. You won't be able to ride it hard enough or long enough to make it break. Routine maintenance will see you do well in excess of 100,000klm before it even thinks about getting tired. 200,000 should be achievable quite easily, but you'll probably want to replace her well before that anyway. I knew a bloke decades ago with a 750cc waterbus (2-stroke, so not a fair comparison) and he proudly clocked up 180,000 klms over the course of 5 years. Only cost him one set of pistons/rings.

Your biggest problem in Thailand will be suspension, steering, and brakes. The suspension will get a real hammering and if you want to maintain safe/comfortable handling then I'd suggest the roads will make you consider a suspension change before 50,000. You may not notice the difference in handling until after you've replaced them, but your bike will deteriorate minutely in handling with every klm, and the Thai roads do suspension no favours whatsoever.

Same for the steering - check most bikes (and scooters) in Thailand that are more than a few years old and the bearings will be shot and there will be head play. Very dangerous in cornering and braking situations. Change as needed. On the track I'd replace the bearings two times a season - I'd suggest the Thai roads won't be that demanding, but if I was doing 20,000klm a year, I'd probably change every year.

The brake pads will just need replacement as required, but my experience is that pads here wear out quicker than back home. Maybe the quality of the materials, may be the driving through floods, may be the dust, dunno. The callipers will also take a hammering from dust and flood waters etc - an annual strip down will preserve their life expectancy and efficiency.

Finally, if you want to maintain the life of your rotors, take the time to keep the rivets free from dust to allow sufficient play to let them to float properly and avoid warping.

Thanks for this rich information. Good to know about the suspension. never thought of that

My friend wants to get himself a used monster 796 (2013) and has 39'000 km

I guess the old owner used it as daily ride (lives in chiang mai)

Recommend him the brand new ducati scrambler but he only has eyes for the used monster he test drove

And thanks to everybody else for their infos. learned more today :)

Mate of mine back in the UK has a Suzuki RF900 that clocked up 100k miles/160k kms last year. Still runs sweet as a nut. I think he has only ever replaced plugs and a coil. Always uses synthetic oil.

Edited by apetley

Some bikes are used now and again as track bike and as daily ride too, they are wearing out faster when on track as already mentioned.

So when buying a used bike, not easy to check, one famous poster here had his bike trucked home after such a track day, no way will I buy his bike, I am not mentioning any nameswhistling.gifwink.png

I prefer buying a new bike, which I did in Jan this year and will likely keep it for min 5 years or thereabouts.

Overhauling a complicated sports bike engine is tricky, I don't think many in Thailand can do it to be frank, perhaps it's better to just buy a new engine when its worn out but don't know how much % wise of the bikes value it is?

Edited by guzzi850m2

Some bikes are used now and again as track bike and as daily ride too, they are wearing out faster when on track as already mentioned.

So when buying a used bike, not easy to check, one famous poster here had his bike trucked home after such a track day, no way will I buy his bike, I am not mentioning any nameswhistling.gifwink.png

I prefer buying a new bike, which I did in Jan this year and will likely keep it for min 5 years or thereabouts.

Overhauling a complicated sports bike engine is tricky, I don't think many in Thailand can do it to be frank, perhaps it's better to just buy a new engine when its worn out but don't know how much % wise of the bikes value it is?

Could you give us a hint as to the bike in question? rolleyes.gif

Did you know that the CG125 Honda was specially developed for "third world markets" . They did not expect the engines to be as well looked after.

Therefore rather than fit a oil filter that needed regular changing. They instead used a centrifugal oil filter so it did not require the same level of servicing. They used overhead valves with push rod rather than a camshaft. A foam washable air filter and an enclosed chain case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CG125

So this push rod engine has no camshaft?

Clever engineering.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom.

Same as Harley's and old Triumphs. But I don't think for the same reasons, biggrin.png although the original Harley engine design did start out as a water pump.

Not my thinking, just found out about CG's when we bought one for training on. Wikipedia is a wonderful place.

I think it was a Honda 650 with shiny red aftermarket bits on it.

Hahahahahaha. I remember now. The trucking episode was only the one incident though.

So this push rod engine has no camshaft?

Clever engineering.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom.

Same as Harley's and old Triumphs. But I don't think for the same reasons, biggrin.png although the original Harley engine design did start out as a water pump.

Not my thinking, just found out about CG's when we bought one for training on. Wikipedia is a wonderful place.

Wow.

Old Harleys and Triumphs didn't use camshafts either.

I did not know that.

I stand agog.

Hahahahahaha. I remember now. The trucking episode was only the one incident though.

what was the second one? man people remember my life better than me sometime! hahahsss. maybe my brain is getting old.

and guzzi, anyway i trade in my bike and if i sell individually, i be honest still no problems with my bike. it was just some concrete stuck to my radiator while passing from a metro construction site. it is cleaned and it runs like a champ still.

1/4 of the bikes at track days get problems.

Edited by ll2

what was the second one? man people remember my life better than me sometime! hahahsss. maybe my brain is getting old.

and guzzi, anyway i trade in my bike and if i sell individually, i be honest still no problems with my bike. it was just some concrete stuck to my radiator while passing from a metro construction site. it is cleaned and it runs like a champ still.

1/4 of the bikes at track days get problems.

There was no second incident. What I meant was that the truck ride back from Buriram was the one and only smile.png

Did you know that the CG125 Honda was specially developed for "third world markets" . They did not expect the engines to be as well looked after.

Therefore rather than fit a oil filter that needed regular changing. They instead used a centrifugal oil filter so it did not require the same level of servicing. They used overhead valves with push rod rather than a camshaft. A foam washable air filter and an enclosed chain case.

The engine had a camshaft, what do you think was pushing the pushrods? Edited by apetley
  • Like 2

The engine had a camshaft, what do you think was pushing the pushrods?

This individual is a hugely experienced expert.

How dare you contradict her with logic or facts.

Keyboard warrior!

• Like 2

Wiki:

"2004 saw a number of further changes in the European market:

The chain casing was dropped in favour of a simpler chain guard."

CJ: Thank you for your accurate synopsis.

Spot on, as always! clap2.gif

Addressing the OP my guess is a big liquid cooled Japanese in line four would give you the best engine lifespan assuming it is properly maintained.

They are very well designed and engineered and so powerful that you would find it difficult to subject it to much consistent stress given the constraints of Thai road conditions.

Someone mentioned a Ducati Monster. I would put money on that engine not making 100,000 km here. Complex maintenance on an air cooled engine with fundamental design flaws that can trace its lineage back to the 1970s? No chance that will go the distance. The modern four valves are worse and much more expensive from a maintenance stand point. Better engineered perhaps but I have grave doubts about the ability of people here to maintain them.

Harleys? Whenever you see Harley guys round here there is always a chase pickup following them with some spanner monkeys and bits in the back. There is a reason for that. They look really baaad in their leathers and patches but they can't actually go very far or very fast between stops at the coffee shop. One guy with a broken stock clutch showed me the parts and the engineering was pure comedy.

So get a Jap 4. You can argue they lack character but I would rather have that than sit at the side of the road broken down.

And given this is Thailand I guess that boils down to a CBR or a big K.

• Like 1

People talk of 50k miles and 100k miles, really nowadays with a decently maintained bike you should be looking at multiples of that.

I have 50k miles (80k km) on a little 24hp cbr250 that I thrash daily, will be under far more engine stress than some 150hp 1000cc, and is running perfectly. A few seal changes, cam chain tensioners, and that's it besides regular services every 6k km. I expect to run her into the ground to about 250k km if I'm still doing the same commute for the next 10 yrs.