Australia expected to announce more troops bound for Iraq

webfact

Australia expected to announce more troops bound for Iraq
By ROD McGUIRK

CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — Australia was expected to confirm Tuesday an increase in troops to be sent to Iraq to help train Iraqi security forces to fight the Islamic State group.

The Cabinet had on Monday night approved the deployment as part of a joint Australia-New Zealand training mission foreshadowed by the New Zealand government last week, media reported on Tuesday.

The joint mission will number around 400 troops, including 143 New Zealand personnel already announced by New Zealand Prime Minister John Key, Fairfax Media and Australian Broadcasting Corp. reported.

Foreign Minister Julie Bishop refused to confirm the Cabinet's decision, but said Prime Minister Tony Abbott would be making an announcement on the deployment later Tuesday.

"I'm not going to pre-empt any announcement about that," she told reporters.

"But I'm sure you'll be hearing more from the prime minister on that issue today," she added.

Australia already has 200 special forces troops in Baghdad advising and assisting Iraqi security forces. No Australian troops are to operate in independent combat roles.

Another 400 Australian air force personnel are supporting Australian air strikes against Islamic State targets in northern Iraq from the al-Minhad Air Base outside Dubai.

Key said last week up to 106 New Zealand troops would be deployed to the Taji base about 22 kilometers (14 miles) north of Baghdad, while others would be sent to the coalition headquarters or other facilities in the region.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-03-03

I'm sure it is at the orders of the US that Australia is continuing to meddle in the affairs (or should i say, kill the people) of foreign countries. Most Australians wouldn't even know where Iraq is.

I guess it makes Australia feel tough as a volunteer "world police". Kind of like an aggressive chihuahua.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

When are Turkey or Saudi gonna send some of their huge armies? The best young Aussies sent to spill blood for nothing.

considering the funding and sympathy IS get from Saudi and Turkey, I wouldn't hold my breath....I'm sure they'd be happy to see IS wreak havoc in Syria and Shiite Iraq and Iran....and they sure don't want the Kurds to get their independence... Erdogen doesn't have a problem with IS as far as I can see....

• Like 1

I'm sure it is at the orders of the US that Australia is continuing to meddle in the affairs (or should i say, kill the people) of foreign countries. Most Australians wouldn't even know where Iraq is.

I guess it makes Australia feel tough as a volunteer "world police". Kind of like an aggressive chihuahua.

I accept the first part of your post. I respectfully suggest that a PM, with problems, loves to go khaki or camo or whatever.

I don't accept that most Ozzies don't know where Iraq is. It is really close to Dubai & Doha, where many of them swap from Qantas to Emirates or the other mid east airlines.

Chihuahuas can be hard to handle.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

When are Turkey or Saudi gonna send some of their huge armies? The best young Aussies sent to spill blood for nothing.

considering the funding and sympathy IS get from Saudi and Turkey, I wouldn't hold my breath....I'm sure they'd be happy to see IS wreak havoc in Syria and Shiite Iraq and Iran....and they sure don't want the Kurds to get their independence... Erdogen doesn't have a problem with IS as far as I can see....

Exactly, so why have we? let the people of the ME sort it out. We have created the problem. We need to stay out of it.

• Like 1

Hi Guys

didn't Vietnam start like this?

It started with the commies, playing dominos.

Taking a lesson from John Kennedy, Australia / New Zealand have decided their number one priority is to contain Communism, and be prepared for wherever it might spread.

The saga continues. May the force be with you.

Hi Guys

didn't Vietnam start like this?

It started with the commies, playing dominos.

Taking a lesson from John Kennedy, Australia / New Zealand have decided their number one priority is to contain Communism, and be prepared for wherever it might spread.

The saga continues. May the force be with you.

There are certainly some similarities between the Allied [mostly American] involvement in Southeast Asia in the 1960s and '70s and the current conflicts in the Middle East.

The Vietnam War ended with the collapse of the South Vietnamese regime and the hasty evacuation of the remaining American forces.

The primary lesson from that ignominious defeat - the first in American history - was that it is impossible to occupy a country and conduct military operations successfully if the indigenous population despises you and supports the enemy.

That is a lesson that is being relearned now in the Middle East.

• Like 1

A common misconception by people too lazy to do their own research. The Vietnam War wasn't lost in Vietnam. It was lost at home, by lack of support.

The lesson learned (and repeatedly forgotten) is a nation should only go into battle when there is a clear objective and enough support to complete the mission.

Edited by rijb