PM Prayut warns media to toe the line or face 'consequences'

webfact

BBC World News is reporting that the PM has said he would probably execute reporters who don't toe the line and they are highlighting his regular outbursts.

It had to happen and can only get worse, wait until he stars at the UN and has to face the international media scrum.

Is he gonna feed them to a pack of hungry dogs, burn them alive, chop off their heads. What?

No, he just needs to be himself and give them some wonderful copy and the cameras some great footage if he displays his usual contempt for the media.

• Like 1

I'm all for freedom of speech but I wouldn't let my 5 year old say whatever she wants without consequences!

Just because you're 55 and a reporter for the press doesn't mean you have learned to weigh your words any better than my 5 year old and equally importantly..... that there should not be (negative) consequences for any inappropriate use of your "freedom of speech"!!

Too many in the press don't want to report just the truth... they want to create scandal and sensation and they couch their reportage in whatever manner they please to do so! Good on the PM for warning them! It's better than shutting them down with no warning at all!

So will you shoot your daughter if she speaks "nonesense"

The simple fact that you can continue to say things like this her is because freedom of press.

Comparing reporters to your 5years old daughter seems a bit harsh, not saying that your daughter is retarded, tho.....

Following your thought you certainly : was happy that satirical cartoonists get shot in France, Snowden should go to jail, CIA and NSA are citizen best pals,....?

In my opinion, this is utterly cr*p!

A post in violation of fair use policy has been removed:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

Rather telling comment from him when he stated "I gave you freedom..." Disconnect from reality there, he thinks he is the government, "to the good of all Thais". He and his bunch a greater threat to national interests than any group of reporters could be. They would like to report on true reform, if there was any. We're waiting....

Does this guy understand, he is not the manager of a badly led football- club?

His attempts on being "sarcy" (if that is what it is...) are all falling flat, especially because he wants to be seen as this amazing country's leader...

He warned that he might be forced to invoke his special powers to deal with media which bent on biased reporting in a way which may cause political conflict.

That is what some of the media people seek to achieve Prime Minister.

Do not give in to them and their low practices.

Carry on with the good job you have been doing up to now and the Thai people will recognise your efforts and ignore the media.

And don't forget.......think before you open your mouth..................

I think I am going to throw up.

• Like 1

The UK newspaper the Guardian has done a couple of pieces on him in the last 6 days. With a helluva lot of comments. Very amusing. Very informative. And not painting him in a fluorescent bright light.

Seems to be a world wide opinion. If this guy truly loves Thailand as he says and not in it for personal gain then he will step down now. He is a soldier and use to marching up and down and not the self proclaimed prophet and the world re known statesman he thinks he is. He is closer to a toilet cleaner than a politician or an influential world leader he thinks he is.

I just hope that when and if the Channel; 3 reporter comes out from her "attitude adjustment" sessions she has the courage, unlike all her predecessors who have had the tratment, to gives us a first-hand account of exactly what happened during the session. I'll be watching TV to check her fingernails - and not for the colour of her nail varnish, either.

facing the firing squad, I doubt it. Preach Junta propaganda or be shot, a hard decision.

BBC World News is reporting that the PM has said he would probably execute reporters who don't toe the line and they are highlighting his regular outbursts.

It had to happen and can only get worse, wait until he stars at the UN and has to face the international media scrum.

Is he gonna feed them to a pack of hungry dogs, burn them alive, chop off their heads. What?

Although he often says the wrong thing, it is quite obvious that he did not mean that he would literally 'execute' people.

" Prayut said: "Perhaps execution. What kind of careless question is that? " .................................................................... dry.png

Unfortunately it is his natural manner of talking, and not being pc.

Although he often says the wrong thing, it is quite obvious that he did not mean that he would literally 'execute' people.

" Prayut said: "Perhaps execution. What kind of careless question is that? " .................................................................... dry.png

He claims to be a statesman and wants to speak on the world stage. He is a leader of a country and the very best that Thailand could come up with, he stumbles and constantly makes Thailand a laughing stock. The world is laughing and wetting thier pants at the most qualified and honoured leader that Thailand can produce. Personally I think they should look to an educated man and not a soldier.
  • Like 2

He claims to be a statesman and wants to speak on the world stage. He is a leader of a country and the very best that Thailand could come up with, he stumbles and constantly makes Thailand a laughing stock. The world is laughing and wetting thier pants at the most qualified and honoured leader that Thailand can produce. Personally I think they should look to an educated man and not a soldier.

Did PM Prayut claim to be a statesman? Did Thailand come up with him? Is Thailand a laughing stock?

The world is wetting their pants and they should look to an educated man? Probably first buy a big pamper and before seeking medical attention ?

Although he often says the wrong thing, it is quite obvious that he did not mean that he would literally 'execute' people. " Prayut said: "Perhaps execution. What kind of careless question is that? " .................................................................... dry.png

Did PM Prayut claim to be a statesman? Did Thailand come up with him? Is Thailand a laughing stock?

The world is wetting their pants and they should look to an educated man? Probably first buy a big pamper and before seeking medical attention ?

If Thailand didn't come up with him then where is he from?

Yes Thailand is a laughing stock because of him.

How has the Thais lives changed for the better since he came to power by machine gun?

Although he often says the wrong thing, it is quite obvious that he did not mean that he would literally 'execute' people. " Prayut said: "Perhaps execution. What kind of careless question is that? " .................................................................... dry.png

yea ok you got me, he didn't compare himself to the late former Singapore statesman and only 93.7% of thais according to his personal polls support him. But, yes Thailand is being laughed at under his rule.

A Statesman can be described as a politician, diplomat or other notable figure having a long and respected career at a national or international level.

The fact that he describes himself as a politician and wants to represent Thailand on a world stage does qualify him as a self-proclaimed statesman. As a Prime Minister I think that would qualify the term, "Statesman". An army general may also qualify as a notable figure.

The General is not well received by the world press, with many countries reporting the need for Thailand to hold elections.

" Prayut said: "Perhaps execution. What kind of careless question is that? " ....................................................................

"He is ... the very best that Thailand could come up with"

NO He is the best that the military could come up with!

The Thai people have nothing to do with him being PM. He represents the Thai people through suppression of their soverneignty backed by military force and his OWN rule of laws. If there is anything that is a laughingstock among democratic nations, it is when Prayut still claims he is a democratic soldier and that his regime is 99.99% democratic.

Edited by Srikcir
  • Like 1

The country needs a CEO.

Remember 10 years ago? Thaksinomics. Thailand was booming, had a budget surplus even.

Heaven forbid James I hope you are not offering support to that rogue Mr T? LKY in his book described the effect Mr T polices had on the people of Thailand.

But I believe you are right.

The stumbling block is the constant coups and the tinkering with Senate numbers and constitutions, the power the army has and the way the judiciary works. Apart from all of that it should be a smooth ride for a yellow elite type of CEO.

Imagine the country you are from, impeaching all of the Government members in order that they have no opportunity to form a voice against a despotic opposition that believes it has the sovereign right to govern even though they do not have the numbers at the poll. In most other countries where a political party loses ground, they then form alliances with other political parties; go to an election to compete for the favour of voters. If they win they would have a opportunity to lead a democratic elected government.

Any one remember this one?

Old Nikita, threatening to bury the west as I recall over the U2 incident (?). Mind you, he wasn't really such a bad bloke, but a simple peasant who rose through the ranks.

I even remember when it was B and K. Never found out what happened to Bulganin though.

I'm all for freedom of speech but I wouldn't let my 5 year old say whatever she wants without consequences!

Just because you're 55 and a reporter for the press doesn't mean you have learned to weigh your words any better than my 5 year old and equally importantly..... that there should not be (negative) consequences for any inappropriate use of your "freedom of speech"!!

Too many in the press don't want to report just the truth... they want to create scandal and sensation and they couch their reportage in whatever manner they please to do so! Good on the PM for warning them! It's better than shutting them down with no warning at all!

You don't understand that freedom of the press is part of the checks and balances which keep our freedom? What kind of freedom are you seeing when there's an unelected person who has total control of everyone?

Not sure how you know what I do and do not understand neither am I sure why you can't see my point unless your mind is made up so that the facts don't interest you.

To be clear, my point was that "freedom of speech" does not give license to threaten and damage the general well-being of the community. Like 'hate speech' and discriminatory or degrading talk for example. Such speech deserves a fearful consequence.

When the press report the facts without sensationalising it or colouring with opinion then yes, it serves us, when they serve poitical and commercial interests first, they cease to be an independant press and provide the "checks and balances" of which you speak.

I don't think for a minute that too many people believe that the unelected leadership currently has "total control of everyone" maybe you do?

What he also said was:

"We'll probably just execute them," said Prayuth, without a trace of a smile, when asked by reporters how the government would deal with those that do not adhere to the official line

Are those the type of remarks that should be coming from the head of the country?

He's worried about the EU no longer buying Thailand fish due to one Thai reporter's commentary? Hey, General Numbnuts, here's a news flash for you. There have been NUMEROUS reports by media associations outside of Thailand, who have conducted their own exhaustive investigations, and then written their reports, and I can pretty much guarantee that those damming reports carry a lot more weight with the EU than one report from a Thai journo. You better wake up to the real world, and stop living in your fantasy land.

Below is an article from the Associated Press in USA so what Thai media reports has little affect on what happens but other sources reporting may cause not only the EU but the USA as well to stop buying Thai seafood products untill they clean up the human trafficking problem they try to ignor.

http://www.wboc.com/story/28606447/ap-investigation-are-slaves-catching-the-fish-you-buy

AP investigation: Are slaves catching the fish you buy?

By ROBIN MCDOWELL, MARGIE MASON and MARTHA MENDOZA

Associated Press Writers

BENJINA, Indonesia (AP) - The Burmese slaves sat on the floor and stared through the rusty bars of their locked cage, hidden on a tiny tropical island thousands of miles from home.

Just a few yards away, other workers loaded cargo ships with slave-caught seafood that clouds the supply networks of major supermarkets, restaurants and even pet stores in the United States.

Here, in the Indonesian island village of Benjina and the surrounding waters, hundreds of trapped men represent one of the most desperate links criss-crossing between companies and countries in the seafood industry. This intricate web of connections separates the fish we eat from the men who catch it, and obscures a brutal truth: Your seafood may come from slaves.

---

EDITOR'S NOTE: The Associated Press notified the International Organization for Migration about men in this story, who were then moved out of Benjina by police for their safety. Hundreds of slaves remain on the island, and five other men were in the cage this week.

---

----

Esther Htusan contributed to this report from Benjina, Indonesia. Mason reported from Samut Sakhon, Thailand; Mendoza reported from Boston, Mass.

Edited by metisdead
Edited as per fair use policy.

A Statesman can be described as a politician, diplomat or other notable figure having a long and respected career at a national or international level.

The fact that he describes himself as a politician and wants to represent Thailand on a world stage does qualify him as a self-proclaimed statesman. As a Prime Minister I think that would qualify the term, "Statesman". An army general may also qualify as a notable figure.

The General is not well received by the world press, with many countries reporting the need for Thailand to hold elections.

Well, thanks for that explanation. It would seem that worldwide we have had a devaluation of the value of being a statesman (or woman). Anyone can be even without claiming it would seem.

BTW 'the need for Thailand to hold elections'?

Any one remember this one?

Old Nikita, threatening to bury the west as I recall over the U2 incident (?). Mind you, he wasn't really such a bad bloke, but a simple peasant who rose through the ranks.

I even remember when it was B and K. Never found out what happened to Bulganin though.

He was forced to resign from the Soviet government for opposing Khrushchev and ended up in a crappy non-job in Stavropol, I believe.

"We will bury you" was taken out of context. Khrushchev was trying to say the superiority of the Soviet system would overtake the west economically and technologically.

The country needs a CEO.

Remember 10 years ago? Thaksinomics. Thailand was booming, had a budget surplus even.

Heaven forbid James I hope you are not offering support to that rogue Mr T? LKY in his book described the effect Mr T polices had on the people of Thailand.

But I believe you are right.

The stumbling block is the constant coups and the tinkering with Senate numbers and constitutions, the power the army has and the way the judiciary works. Apart from all of that it should be a smooth ride for a yellow elite type of CEO.

Imagine the country you are from, impeaching all of the Government members in order that they have no opportunity to form a voice against a despotic opposition that believes it has the sovereign right to govern even though they do not have the numbers at the poll. In most other countries where a political party loses ground, they then form alliances with other political parties; go to an election to compete for the favour of voters. If they win they would have a opportunity to lead a democratic elected government.

Oh by Jove, I think he's wrong.

After three years of austerity policy by the Chuan government Thai wanted breathing space, a bit of fun and money. Thaksin having bought lots of smaller parties offered a vision of spending and won the 2001 elections. Luckily for him the previous government had done some good work and with Worldwide Economy booming, he could spent, spent, spent. The machine was running out of steam though and by 2006 Thaksinomics started to lose a lot of lustre, just like the Word Economic Boom.

Same problem now. The previous government has spent, spent, spent and mostly ignored economic foundations being busy with a blanket amnesty covering their own activities as well. Current government has to clean up with World Economy again in stormy waters.