Mekong river boat operators warn of increased boat fares

Lite Beer

Mekong river boat operators warn of increased boat fares

4-5-2015-2-56-00-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Boat service operators in the Mekong river in Bung Karn province have warned that they may have to increase boat fares if river conditions worsen.

The operators complained that water level in the Mekong has lowered sharply to the extent that sand dunes have surfaced – one of them as long as one kilometer – forcing them to make longer trip in order to reach the destinations.

They blamed China for holding up most of the water at its dams upstream and, hence, release small amount of water downstream causing the river downstream to turn shallow and narrow.

One operator said the normal boat fare from Pak Kard district to Laos’ Ban Tuay in Pak San which costs 40 baht one trip and 60 baht for return trip may have to be adjusted up if the water level further recedes making them to take longer time to avoid the sand dunes.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/mekong-river-boat-operators-warn-of-increased-boat-fares

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-04-05

I didn't know there were boats on the Mekong river, never seen one except from Luangprabang.

Yes, there are hundreds of thousands of those woodeny floating things, on this vast river. Thanks for making me feel better about my less than perfect eyesight.