Don't see too many of these in Thailand.

giddyup

Funny story, my dad being an avid reader of Popular Mechanics from the early 40's till he died saw the plans for a design similar to an Airstream caravan and did the numbers and decided to build it. Along the way he changed his mind and made it into a double axle version it was finished in 1959 and we went for a tour in it at christmas time. Well the Customline he had at the time just didn't seem to have quite enough mustangs under the bonnet to pull this caravan!

We got home and grandpa starts raving on how his Hudson had the power and could handle it. So dad hitches up the caravan to the Hudson grandpa and we kids jump in and off we go......very slowly! Oh they tried! The Hudson was giving 100% which was well short of what was needed.

I don't know if dad miscalculated......or didn't bother with the weight calculations and substituting stainless steel sheet (it was in the warehouse doing nothing!) for a plywood floor didn't help. But when they took it to a weight bridge it came in at 4.5 ton! This is a 24ft van with dual axles with brakes on one!

In the end it served my Uncle John as a home for a few years after he split with his dearly beloved, then my older brother lived in it when he wanted 'More space'. I left home and it was still there for a few more years with crapped out tyres from the sun and weeds growing all around. Then one trip home and it was gone! I asked dad what happened and all I got was "Sold it"!

As for Airstream or any caravan or motorhome in Thailand.......WHY? You can stay in perfectly good hotels and resorts here, why would you want a caravan?

Interesting story, but you can stay in hotels/motels and resorts in Australia and the US but caravans are still popular. The difference is that the two countries I mentioned both cater very well to caravanners, whereas Thailand does not.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was the weight difference you mention manageable, or did it effect the handling too much?

If a proper weight distributing trailer hitch is used, no adverse effect on handling.

That is potentially true. My hitch was only a standard ball for a small boat trailer. However, the potential for poor handling is greatest when the trailer weighs so much more than the truck and is only attached by a rear-end ball.

• 1 year later...