Date set for clearance of Tiger Temple

Jacob Maslow

Here's an idea, now that you have no animals to care for, how about stray dogs that were rescued

from the cooking pots? there are many thousands of them looking for a good home,

and what home can be better than the pious people of a temple? no? not a good idea?

right... no money to be made there with dogs...

• Like 2

I have no doubt the monks and their followers will put up a fight to stop the officials from taking the tigers the end result would be to put the tigers in a centralised zoo so people could perhaps participate in the welfare of the tigers .

Here's an idea, now that you have no animals to care for, how about stray dogs that were rescued

from the cooking pots? there are many thousands of them looking for a good home,

and what home can be better than the pious people of a temple? no? not a good idea?

right... no money to be made there with dogs...

Better idea. Put the stray dogs in with the tigers! two birds with one stone. Fed tigers and less stray dogs. I am now hunkering down waiting for the outburst from indignant members who do not understand black humour.coffee1.gif

I'd gladly contribute to sponsoring one of these cats as long as it doesn't become someone's money making scheme. You know, it could be a great school project to teach kids about wildlife conversation. A school raises funds and sponsors a tiger, a bear or some other animal. Funds raised could be used to not only support the cat but to create a live feed network where the students could view their sponsored cat online or any other animal. This would do three things... help pay for the cost of supporting the cats, encourage the students to appreciate wildlife, and a live feed would deter any ill treatment of the animals. Student's could vote on what to name their tiger... They could campaign and vote for their favorite name. A lesson on democracy as well. If this was handled correctly, it could be a fantastic opportunity.

All very sweet indeed!!

But the tigers should not be in captivity in the first place!!

Following your idea, the children will be taught, that wild animals are for our entertainment and/or teaching material.

Student's could vote on what to name their tiger... They could campaign and vote for their favorite name. A lesson on democracy as well. If this was handled correctly, it could be a fantastic opportunity.

Please tell us, you are joking.................

Could be much better for the tigers in the long run although the comment "The state is looking for ways to lower these expenditures" before the tigers have even been moved could be cause for concern. If they are going to seize them I would like to hope that they would be cared for in a manner befitting this majestic species. Then again could just be wishful thinking... .

I notice that have no plan other than to remove them. I guess that's Thais for ya. Not so good with projecting events into the future. That's good in a way. Lessens worry. Mai bpen rai.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

I'd gladly contribute to sponsoring one of these cats as long as it doesn't become someone's money making scheme. You know, it could be a great school project to teach kids about wildlife conversation. A school raises funds and sponsors a tiger, a bear or some other animal. Funds raised could be used to not only support the cat but to create a live feed network where the students could view their sponsored cat online or any other animal. This would do three things... help pay for the cost of supporting the cats, encourage the students to appreciate wildlife, and a live feed would deter any ill treatment of the animals. Student's could vote on what to name their tiger... They could campaign and vote for their favorite name. A lesson on democracy as well. If this was handled correctly, it could be a fantastic opportunity.

All very sweet indeed!!

But the tigers should not be in captivity in the first place!!

Following your idea, the children will be taught, that wild animals are for our entertainment and/or teaching material.

Student's could vote on what to name their tiger... They could campaign and vote for their favorite name. A lesson on democracy as well. If this was handled correctly, it could be a fantastic opportunity.

Please tell us, you are joking.................

Not joking at all JOC... These cat's and many other animals in Thailand can never released into the wild. There is an almost absolute lack of awareness of animal's right in Thailand. So teach them what is right and wrong about tigers in cages. It's called make the best of a bad situation.

Edited by Local Drunk
  • Like 2

^^^

But it is still only moving the poor animals from one cage to another!!

No Thailand for once do the right thing............

Build a state of the art sanctuary on a piece of land big enough for all the tigers. Fence it (electric?) and have rangers protect the animals from poachers and other thieves. Employ people with a genuine interest in animal welfare and vets to ensure the animals health.

Start a breeding program, and exchange cubs with other similar programs to keep the gene pole healthy.

And keep the place closed to the public, vet students excepted .

Yes it is going to cost money, but will win Thailand many (much needed) friends within the international community.

The cost of one the not needed submarines will probably pay for such a sanctuary for a decade or two!!

• Like 1

^^^

But it is still only moving the poor animals from one cage to another!!

No Thailand for once do the right thing............

Build a state of the art sanctuary on a piece of land big enough for all the tigers. Fence it (electric?) and have rangers protect the animals from poachers and other thieves. Employ people with a genuine interest in animal welfare and vets to ensure the animals health.

Start a breeding program, and exchange cubs with other similar programs to keep the gene pole healthy.

And keep the place closed to the public, vet students excepted .

Yes it is going to cost money, but will win Thailand many (much needed) friends within the international community.

The cost of one the not needed submarines will probably pay for such a sanctuary for a decade or two!!

It has to be funded is the bottom line. Thai awareness needs to be raised and the best place to start is with schools. It shouldn't be done to boost international relations, but if it helps the animals I'm all for it. The problem with the breeding is that the cubs will have parents that can't teach them to survive. Tigers need a lot of territory to survive and prosper in the wild, and that territory is and has been dwindling for many a year due to encroachments on their natural habitat. There are probably only a few hundred tigers left that live in the wild in Thailand. It's sad... But I'm open to any ideas that will promote those beautiful beasts. Cheers, LD

• Like 1

Hmm, how about fine/confiscate Tiger Temple's ill-gotten wealth, enough to sponsor these animals for their duration.

It seems to me, the Tigers have earned their money.

That works for me... But what you are saying could have been the leverage under article 44 that brought this about... Just speculating a bit.

Edited by Local Drunk

How about introducing some of these tigers into encroached forest reserves, and fencing off the area, with proper care for them ... would that kill 2 birds with one stone ?? It would deter intruders ...

On reflection though, probably not, they'd end up being shot and vanishing off to China into the 'pharmaceutical' industry

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Excellent idea... sponsoring the Tigers in situ, assuming the facilities now being prepared are indeed "up to standards" is better than farming them out to some of the dodgy Zoos I have seen here.

A well run sponsorship program would be a great opportunity for individuals, schools, animal welfare organizations and big brand companies with CSR budgets. With good PR, the sky could be the limit and and the incoming funds could be the foundation to build a really first-rate sanctuary. A win-win for the sponsors and the government!

Thank you so much for your response... Maybe someone with a bit of juice is reading this and can have an have an influence on someone with a lot of juice that can make it happen.

• Like 2