Shortage of labour in Thailand likely to reach 300,000-600,000 in next 3-5 years

webfact

Shortage of labour in Thailand likely to reach 300,000-600,000 in next 3-5 years

BANGKOK, 29 April 2015 (NNT) - Labour shortage in the Thai industrial sector looms large in the next 3-5 years with as many as 300,000-600,000 workers in need, Labour Minister Gen Surasak Karnjanarat revealed on Tuesday.

Speaking after a meeting of the government Committee on Labour Solutions, Gen Surasak said the meeting saw it necessary for the government to update the database of the National Labour Information Center (NLIC) for use in the planning of labour production among ministries involved such as Industry, Education and Industry.

The meeting also emphasized the importance to improve labor skills and the production of workers. It suggested the use of technology in workplace and tax privileges to be offered to industrial entrepreneurs who provide internship for vocational students.

The meeting acknowledged that it was necessary to recruit more foreign workers if domestic workforce was insufficient. The Board of Investment reported to the meeting Thailand would need more than 165,000 workers to fill in jobs in new factories in the next 3-5 years.

At the meeting, the committee also discussed the necessity of improving the qualityof migrant workers in special economic zones in Thailand and those working in Thai factories in neighboring countries.

The Labour Ministry would use results of the meeting in drafting an action plan involving both short- and long-term approaches during the next 3-5 years. The final draft of the plan will be considered again in the next meeting of the committee.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-04-29 footer_n.gif

You can easily add a Zero to the numbers; we're closing down our operations and shall never ever do any business here in Thailand again which requires labour. Possibly the most overpriced arrogant ignorant labour force I ever came across. Hardly anybody resigns normally but just walks off the job and if they don't steal something worth six digits it is obsolete to file anything with the authorities.

The chicken come home to roost; lets see how the Thais are in, say 10 or 15 years. Yet, as mentioned, not they are to blame but the system is a total failure. Some 30 years ago, when I came first, I was talking to the parents of today's employees. They knew likewise little to nothing but were willing to listen and to learn. Over a generation that went down the toilet again. Pathetic!

But the hammock sellers are happy.

• Like 1

You can easily add a Zero to the numbers; we're closing down our operations and shall never ever do any business here in Thailand again which requires labour. Possibly the most overpriced arrogant ignorant labour force I ever came across. Hardly anybody resigns normally but just walks off the job and if they don't steal something worth six digits it is obsolete to file anything with the authorities.

The chicken come home to roost; lets see how the Thais are in, say 10 or 15 years. Yet, as mentioned, not they are to blame but the system is a total failure. Some 30 years ago, when I came first, I was talking to the parents of today's employees. They knew likewise little to nothing but were willing to listen and to learn. Over a generation that went down the toilet again. Pathetic!

I fear you are right, although not an employer trying to find labourers and craftsmen has proved difficult for us. This is leading to some huge rises in employment costs and these 2 factors look like they will make other ASEAN countries more attractive. Certain industries that have Thailand as their main base like the manufacture of hard disks are in decline and the move to reduce the openness of alcohol and sex based businesses may all delay the employment crisis as the workers take new positions but in time, not that long a time, there will be a shortfall.

I do not see this having any positive effect on obtaining a farang work permit as the facts will be masked by fear and propaganda.

• Like 1

Or Plan B increase productivity,I see a lot of shops with 3 assistants filing their nails,yet a simple purchase can take forever while they check price and change 3 times I realize they may be on commission only and have to make up any losses but there and in many government offices I see plenty of folks who could exert themselves a tad more without exhaustion.

Oddly in a nation that needs to improve language skills it is illegal for many native speakers to give even voluntary lessons and they cannot be employed at age 60 when at the peak of experience

Sorry,

Not so.

I am 62 and still doing it.

My age is not an issue.

Retirement age is 60 for Thai teachers,

But not for foreigners.

Or Plan B increase productivity,I see a lot of shops with 3 assistants filing their nails,yet a simple purchase can take forever while they check price and change 3 times I realize they may be on commission only and have to make up any losses but there and in many government offices I see plenty of folks who could exert themselves a tad more without exhaustion.

Oddly in a nation that needs to improve language skills it is illegal for many native speakers to give even voluntary lessons and they cannot be employed at age 60 when at the peak of experience

Totally agree.

Thailand wants to be a developed economy and a member of the global developed community .... but Thai attitudes and behaviour ... is it Thainess? ... are at odds with modern economic and business practice.

Message to Thailand ... get with the times ... move into at least late 20th Century business and economic practices ... or ... perish on the global scale.

• Like 2

Filing nails? More like monging on their phones!

This might now be the case if ....

A) The EU imposes a ban on the fishing industry ... that would release up a few workers. Ops, sorry just realised they are not Thai workers but rather people who have been trafficked and enslaved.

B) The baht continues to rise which pushes out foreign investment. You'll see the likes of Toyota, Honda etc along with electronics manufacturers heading across the border ... that will certainly put a lot of people in the market for a job.

The meeting acknowledged that it was necessary to recruit more foreign workers if domestic workforce was insufficient.

Foreigners meaning Burmese, Loas and Cambodians. Eventually these people will also come to a point where their treatment here is no longer accepted or needed if major manufacturers open up in their home countries. The Thai superiority stance is going to come back and bite them in the backside and it's coming real soon.

This country reminds me of a fabled ship where the owners claimed it was unsinkable .... funny name ... Titanic .... THAITANIC

• Like 1

i totally concur about all this degree bullshit, its hands on knowledge, years ago in the uk i was made redundant, for a guy who had a degree in rubber technology (did'nt need it)). could he trouble shoot/put machines right NO. i was brought up from the shop floor.(injection/extrusion moulding) they shot themselves in the foot big time. wanted me to go back.. no bloody chance. i digress. yes a good thing but they just can't or will not see it, there are loads of untapped expert resources, to be given free by ex pats, but they will never do this as it is the old lose face thing again, "we know it all, we don't want any help thankyou." a great shame.

• Like 1

Thailand has plenty of workers, they are just employed in the wrong labour-intensive industry producing a low value crop.

"Mammas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Rice Farmers" with apologies to Willy

Here is the latest - children of rice farmers are no longer helping to farm rice, nor are they keen learners in schools either.

They spend most of their time online, gaming or boozing, and teens are becoming parents...

True words, the only ones I can find to work in my factory are all 30-45 year old and most of them are females, the young generation just want to play with their smartphones and are useless for an employer.

There's a terrible shortage of skilled craftsmen in Bangkok now at any price. A good friend is having a hard time converting his guest house into efficiency apartments because he can't find carpenters, plumbers, tile layers, etc. and he's offering double the old wages but he won't let the workers live on-site and he has had some who lied about their skill level so now he has to personally supervise all work. He's not a happy camper as he is losing money because of the down time from closing the guest house until he can begin leasing apartments; which he can't do until all work is completed. I wish the vocational schools could focus their student's attention on learning a trade instead of joining a school mob to attack other school mobs. I would like to see some retired Farangs allowed to informally teach some of the building trades. It would certainly benefit the country and the Farang would benefit from having skilled workers available. I want to build a house and am willing to train my workforce but it is not allowed. Education, of all types, is the major impediment to improving lives in this country. You can only blame the 'Elite' so much for willful ignorance.

You are so right! What are they afraid of ? they have a potentially willing and able source of absolutely invaluable knowledge available to tap into, and probably very cheaply where they could do some massive upskilling.

The answer to many of the low incomes has to come from technology and some automation.

Thailand has plenty of workers, they are just employed in the wrong labour-intensive industry producing a low value crop.

"Mammas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Rice Farmers" with apologies to Willy

Apologies to Willy + Waylon and Ed Bruce for penning the song. Brings back some good memories with good friends

He is a good tradesman and a nice guy but the money he gets is sufficient for his needs and he does not have to think about working.

Good point. There are simply different values in Thai culture. Even long term expats seem not to understand this. Farang value people only for being efficient and creating as much value as possible. A Thai's goal is to be happy. Now. No worries about the future, no long term planning. And that's probably what makes Thailand the "land of smiles". So don't complain! Relax and try to catch a bit of this happiness!

• Like 1

No work ethic.....They know that if they quit they can replace there job in a matter of days if not hours. I dont know how many late twenties I have interviewed for posistions and there resumes are pages and pages thick....three months here, twp months here perhaps a week or two at orher places. They see that they have experience rather as I see it.....ten jobs in four years. I always ask. How many months would you like to work here?....blank stares.