helmet laws

phycokiller

is it legal to wear an unstrapped helmet on a motorbike? the reason I ask is that at least half the people I see on motorbikes dont seem to do the strap up but i never see police stopping them. In my view this is crazy because most days I see helmets getting blown off which could easily cause the bike behind to crash if they run over them or are hit by them. since many of these people are farang it would be a great money earner for the police but they seem to be unconcerned, hence Im wondering if the law covers doing up the strap or is it legal just to have it on your head with the strap undone?

I think it depends on the cop and how hungry he is. Some years back I know a guy who was fined for wearing a proper, expensive, wrap around crash helmet with a visor. The cop decided that the visor was too dark so he issued him with a ticket. I heard about another guy who got fined for driving his bike with the passenger footrests down but no passenger on board. Given the dangerous lunacy on the roads here every day that the cops couldn't care less about this sort of nonsense would be tragic if it wasn't actually quite funny.

another thing they could do is police pedestrian crossings, that would bring in tens of thousands of baht per crossing a day and save lives

Pray tell why? You think the law is the same here as in the west.........cheesy.gif

Crossing at Ambassador Hotel, police often in attendance, waits until enough people are there before trying to stop traffic....eventually.

PS - got any stats for how many pedestrians get killed on pedestrian crossings here?

I think it depends on the cop and how hungry he is. Some years back I know a guy who was fined for wearing a proper, expensive, wrap around crash helmet with a visor. The cop decided that the visor was too dark so he issued him with a ticket. I heard about another guy who got fined for driving his bike with the passenger footrests down but no passenger on board. Given the dangerous lunacy on the roads here every day that the cops couldn't care less about this sort of nonsense would be tragic if it wasn't actually quite funny.

So true. I got done for having one bulb defective on my front twin lights which come on automatically at all times.. This was at 11am in the morning on a gloriously sunny day.!!!

On the OP point. I see lots of girls with the helmet on the back of their heads and the strap undone. The condition of their hair is clearly more important than safety.

On the OP point. I see lots of girls with the helmet on the back of their heads and the strap undone. The condition of their hair is clearly more important than safety.

If my gf has just done her hair then I have to hold the helmet for her - until she sees any BIB.......

Safety does not seem to enter the equation unfortunately no matter how much I talk about it.

another thing they could do is police pedestrian crossings, that would bring in tens of thousands of baht per crossing a day and save lives

Pray tell why? You think the law is the same here as in the west.........cheesy.gif

Crossing at Ambassador Hotel, police often in attendance, waits until enough people are there before trying to stop traffic....eventually.

PS - got any stats for how many pedestrians get killed on pedestrian crossings here?

dont have statistics but I have seen tourists seriously injured twice on the pedestrian crossing outside Mikes by vehicles that just drove thru at full speed, and I arent there a lot so I guess it happens quite a lot, but you arent going to read about it here

Law Enforcement & Judicial System here are a sad joke. Who has been involved with either or certainly knows this. It is hilarious even trying to compare with 1st. world police or court systems. The same goes for any other emergency services, except maybe hospital ambulances who have definitely improved their standards the last few years. One can only hope there will never be a real catastrophic event. Just watch how services handle a small kitchen fire, a serious accident or a couple of guys roughing each-other up.

At the end it all comes down to education and respect for other human beings, for nature and for yourself. It would take generations to change this. A pity for the good people here. The daily headlines in major newspapers show that it is only getting worse. Pointing to aviation debacle, human trafficking, piracy, street-crime etc. etc. Definitely not what it used to be. MS>

The cop decided that the visor was too dark so he issued him with a ticket.

He was probably right. I don't know exactly what the rule is but I know they tried to ban the sell of such visors less than 1 year again, and a Thai friend explained me the rule as "a policeman must be able to see your eyes/face".

The law clearly states that the helmet must be securely fixed to the head. The helmet must also be certified by Thai Industry Standards and have a TIS 369-2539 sticker on it.

do you think that safety standard is good for a crash helmet ?

The actual law:

Ordinance No. 14/1992 of the Ministry of Interior

Section 1

Definition of a helmet.

Descriptions of 3 types of helmet: full-face, open-face and half-face.

When the helmet is accompanied with a visor, the visor must be transparent and untinted.

Section 2

A motorcycle helmet must be one of the 3 types mentioned in Section 1. When the industrial standards have been set, a motorcycle helmet must come up to the standards.

Section 3

When riding a motorcycle, both the driver and the passenger must wear a motorcycle helmet and fasten the chin strap securely so that the helmet doesn't come off in case of a collision.

The law clearly states that the helmet must be securely fixed to the head. The helmet must also be certified by Thai Industry Standards and have a TIS 369-2539 sticker on it.

Strange question but the answer is yes, what do you think?

Strange question but the answer is yes, what do you think?

The question is not strange as you are the one quoting regulations !!!!!!

No, I don’t.

I think most of the crash helmets in use are just slightly better than a chocolate tea pot in a serious crash.

If your happy with a thin bit of cheap plastic and a bit of polystyrene , go for it.

Saying that something is better than nothing in a crash.

What's the point in wearing an unstrapped helmet? The full face type would protect somewhat in an accident but the type that just sit on the head will just fly off.

I suppose it could stop a small missile being thrown at you, but like a coconut shire at the fair!!

As to the legalities it's probably down to the BIB and the time of month I.e mid month probably ok, end month they're skint so need the 'fines'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This won't ever be inforced in Thai. A copy of a copy is what they buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've just spent an enjoyable week in Ho Chi Minh City (though everyone there still calls it Saigon). I'd say that 95% of the motor cyclists I saw (and I saw thousands) wore crash helmets. Don't the Thais realise that a helmet might save their life?