Thai govt chides astrologers for earthquake predictions

webfact

Thai Govt Chides Astrologers for Earthquake Predictions
By Khaosod English

14313244991431324547l.jpg
An employee at a hotel in Phang Nga province pointed to cracks in the building that she said was caused by 4.5 magnitude earthquake in southern Thailand, 7 May 2015

BANGKOK — A spokesperson for Thailand’s military government has asked astrologers predicting imminent earthquakes to consider how their prophesies may affect the public.

"I understand that the predictors have good intentions," said the spokesperson, Yongyuth Mayalarp, "But I want to ask the predictors to use their judgement carefully when they spread such information. I want them to consider the consequences, because in the past, there have been [astrological] predictions that have caused panic and affected tourism."

He also quoted the director of the Department of Mental Health as urging people to rely on scientific principles when considering the validity of the predictions.

Many Thais are deeply superstitious and draw upon astrological prophecies, feng shui principles, and other spiritual beliefs to guide their daily lives. It also common practice for government officials and leading politicians to consult personal astrologers.

In the past week, several astrologers have predicted that a natural disaster will strike sometime in the next month.

"Major earthquakes usually occur in foreign countries, and then cause impact on our and other countries, but this upcoming earthquake will take place in our own country,” Sorajja Nual-yu, a famous astrologer, said on Saturday. “I have been predicting this since early this year. It may happen at any moment between now and 12 July."

Source: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1431324499

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-05-11

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well apparently this belief goes up to the highest reaches of society. So why should the rest of these mortals not be entitled to their own superstitions? That saying "Practice what you Preach" and "Walk the Talk" comes to mind.

Thing is that it is difficult even for Earth Scientists to predict when the big one will occur. At best they can only give guesstimates.

Edited by toybits

'Nostradamus' warns of earthquake doom for Thailand
By Coconuts Bangkok

sorajja.jpg
Photo: Thairath TV

BANGKOK: -- Another self-proclaimed Thai Nostradamus warns the nation will be split into pieces by the most devastating earthquake ever despite science and officials urging him to just please shut up.

The earth experts of the Department of Mineral Resources asked the public to ignore a wave of fear-mongering that recent quakes in the south of Thailand are only the beginning of a cataclysm for Thailand.

While moderate temblors in the 2-to-4.6 magnitude range were felt last week in Krabi, Phang Nga and Phuket provinces, the department’s Director-General Supot Jermsawatdipong encouraged everyone to chill out – and tune out – on the proclamations of doom from all two-bit oracles.

Meanwhile, Sorajja Nualyoo, or “Nostradamus” as he prefers to be called, said the three “stars” of Saturn, Rahu and Uranus have aligned in a really shitty way for the country. He said the whole country is going to shake, starting in the north, some time between Saturday and July 12, when the biggest earthquake in history will hit the kingdom.

“The previous big earthquake was centered outside the country, but this time the epicenter will be inside our home,” Sorajja said. “I have seen this coming since the beginning of this year. The government must educate citizens because we have never handled this kind of catastrophe before.”

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/05/11/nostradamus-warns-earthquake-doom-thailand

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-05-11

I know a voodoo practitioner who can give them better predictions than the astrologers

and probably cheaper too, all he uses is a chicken and some bones...

Edited by ezzra

Steven Hawkins must go nuts over these guys, while Albert Einstein, and Charles Darwin spin in their graves to give enough electric power to Tokio for a year.

Btw. isn't it against the law now to spread such rumors?

Edited by Lupatria

Don't knock astrologers. When Nancy Reagan was president ( she could even drink a glass of water while Ronald Reagan appeared to be speaking) she directed the last Superpower with the aid of the stars.

Joan Ceciel Quigley (April 10, 1927 – October 21, 2014), of San Francisco, California, was an astrologer best known for her astrological advice to the Reagan White House in the 1980s. Quigley was born in Kansas City, Missouri.
She was called on by First Lady Nancy Reagan in 1981 after John Hinckley's attempted assassination of the president, and stayed on as the White House astrologer in secret until being outed in 1988 by ousted former chief of staff Donald Regan.

Don't knock astrologers. When Nancy Reagan was president ( she could even drink a glass of water while Ronald Reagan appeared to be speaking) she directed the last Superpower with the aid of the stars.

Joan Ceciel Quigley (April 10, 1927 – October 21, 2014), of San Francisco, California, was an astrologer best known for her astrological advice to the Reagan White House in the 1980s. Quigley was born in Kansas City, Missouri.
She was called on by First Lady Nancy Reagan in 1981 after John Hinckley's attempted assassination of the president, and stayed on as the White House astrologer in secret until being outed in 1988 by ousted former chief of staff Donald Regan.

I knew the guy in Hollywood who made the animatronics....

Wait Wait I have predicted earth moving events before.

When my wife and I first met the earth moved. So I will try my magic here First the Spell

Oooba Booga Domonica Platttsclub These are the magic words for predicting earthquakes. There I see it now Yes Yes Thailand will have an earthquake in its future.

Wow guys how was that . Pretty good . That should lay many fears to rest.

Ladies and gentlemen what a load of (&$%$#@ Predicting earthquakes What is even sadder is that the Thai people believe this load. Why not sell it to the west giggle.gif

'Nostradamus' warns of earthquake doom for Thailand

By Coconuts Bangkok

sorajja.jpg

Photo: Thairath TV

BANGKOK: -- Another self-proclaimed Thai Nostradamus warns the nation will be split into pieces by the most devastating earthquake ever despite science and officials urging him to just please shut up.

The earth experts of the Department of Mineral Resources asked the public to ignore a wave of fear-mongering that recent quakes in the south of Thailand are only the beginning of a cataclysm for Thailand.

While moderate temblors in the 2-to-4.6 magnitude range were felt last week in Krabi, Phang Nga and Phuket provinces, the department’s Director-General Supot Jermsawatdipong encouraged everyone to chill out – and tune out – on the proclamations of doom from all two-bit oracles.

Meanwhile, Sorajja Nualyoo, or “Nostradamus” as he prefers to be called, said the three “stars” of Saturn, Rahu and Uranus have aligned in a really shitty way for the country. He said the whole country is going to shake, starting in the north, some time between Saturday and July 12, when the biggest earthquake in history will hit the kingdom.

“The previous big earthquake was centered outside the country, but this time the epicenter will be inside our home,” Sorajja said. “I have seen this coming since the beginning of this year. The government must educate citizens because we have never handled this kind of catastrophe before.”

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/05/11/nostradamus-warns-earthquake-doom-thailand

cocon.jpg

-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-05-11

The real Nostradamus predicted Thailand will experience a catastrophic earthquake after he was thrown out of the country having been 13 days on overstay.

The difference between astronomy and astrology:

Astronomy is a study of the heavens, astrology: in Latin means; there is one born every minute.

Edited by Beetlejuice

If they actually had a decent education system the Thai public would not believe this crap...............having said that to be honest the Wests pathetic religions with their superior education spout equally appalling rubbish and it's "accepted"...........what a sad sad world.

"belief" pathetic

Well done ... you got us all to click the headline "Thai Government asks astrologers for earthquake predictions"

And then the OPPOSITE story.

Complete waste of time .. but hey .. you got your troll bait in the water .. yes?

post-145190-0-10292900-1431334070_thumb.

Edited by Guest