Best meal deals in town where they feed you well with quality under 300 baht?

Jingthing

Sunday roast at Oscars on Ban Amphur beach (northern end). Home made soup (try the pumpkin) included and always a well prepared, filling lunch/dinner. Choices of pork, lamb, chicken or mixed all under B300 with the full monty of what you'd expect with a roast.

They also do draft Leo.

...no wonder you are all....er....hefty

what a really stupid, assumptive post

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is all over the place. We even have a guy prompting free cold gravy?

Yes, it was delicious.

Irish Wolfhound on Soi 4 Pratumnak used to have a 60b breakfast with free tea/coffee - I had it once and it was fine... however, it is now 80b with free tea / coffee - I have just driven up there, and happy to see this deal as I heard that they scrapped it totally and changed it to 100b with more menu items (they do have a 100b - full monty on the menu)

bgr780.jpg

Well, I didn't go for this 80b breakfast - I went to frasers for a turkey sandwich on brown bread, water and latte which was more like 250b inc tip - I just wanted to check for this DEAL thread.

Really hope this fits into the 'best meal deals in town under 300b' as I am pretty sure this is a meal, and a deal... even if it is a breakfast... sorry... yes, we have all seen breakfast threads before - but it is a price update on one of the best 'meal deals under 300b' in my opinion which I thought had gone for good to the 99b breakfasts in the sky - hope it helps some poor pensioner on a budget.

I never know the names of the places here in Chonburi city but : Papaya salad , Corn salad, 4 chicken wings, Spicey minced pork, 4 sticky rice, bucket of ice and 1 bottle of water, cup of ice cream and some cocoanut milt with little green things in it for 220 Baht for 2 people.

Now that is a WOW !!!!! price.

We have a place we go for Black Soup for 40 baht for 2 bowls.

About the cheapo English breakfast.

Read the OP.

Not only looking for not expensive but looking for WOW.

Do you REALLY feel WOW when you see that spread of what to me looks like a BASIC English fry up?

OK, if you do, but I'm skeptical.

Edited by Jingthing

I can mention a handfull of French, Italian or Scandinavian restaurants that will give you a main meal under 300 baht, but I can't remember it as a WOW experience in Pattaya.

Yeah, looking for at least a very faint WOW at the minimum here.

Dishes under 300 are not at all exceptional.

Wow is more exceptional.

Being amazed they can deliver something for the price is even more exceptional.

The combination of those two ... I think very rare and also, of course, subjective.

The Wow part probably more subjective.

I know a great Khao Soi Gai place for 40B, but not in Pattaya.

Also know a great Nam Ngiaw place with congealed pig's blood for 30B, but it's not in Pattaya, either.

Also know a incredible fish noodle soup for 30B, but alas, not in Pattaya.

Also know a fantastic Pad Thai Haw Khai place for 35B, but unfortunately, not in Pattaya.

Why is it you live in Pattaya again, 555?

As JingThing has already stated ''This isn't so much about Thai food.' - so thats one of the reason we all live in Pattaya

TAEK LAEW DEE ( i think thats what you call it ) foodland , pattaya klang. best value for food i have had in pattaya ( ever ) very good hygiene and service.

IRISH ROVERS only good for breakfast , i can never finish it ( ever ) 99 baht. 2 eggs,bacon,2 sausage,2 toast,beans,potatoe,tomatoe,tea,orange.

KISS FOOD . only good now for salads, deep fried pork salad and tuna salads for 85 baht.

i used to go to robins nest soi dianna , jollies ,soi buakao and the seaside soi chaiyapoon but all their prices have really increased maybe by a third so i never go there now. i can eat better food for less back home in my country than pay their prices.

when long term and not in holiday mode i eat only at roadside noodle stands , my favourite is bottom of soi buahkao outside 7-11 kao mann gai . 30 baht.

Irish Rover now 129b for breakfast - new change of ownership

Set meals (as opposed to buffets) might fit the criteria here. For example, Indian thalis. Sadly have not had an Indian thali in town where I think Wow plus how do they do it (neither actually). Also platter meals. Such as at the Lebanese restaurant on 3rd road (and also in the beach mall) they have a large vegetarian salad platter for 350 baht. I like it but I don't feel very satisfied with it. Feels like it needs some falafel balls at least to make it more complete.

2 series replies, although you wont think one of them is.

Indian Thali which always makes my taste buds go wow - be careful of this green sauce... I like it so much I drank some from the serving bowl when nobody was looking and paid for it later - its soooo strong - but lovely

I went out for dinner and had this veg thali which was 150b - water 20b

Punjabi Tadka - 2nd Road close to Sun City Hotel - Central Pattaya

thali.jpg

Rioja Gentleman's club - hard to find, see below.

Located just off Soi Watboonkanchana (or known locally as Soi Watboon cos of the wat at the end of the road) - turning near a big 20 baht shop, heading down WatBoon towards Sukumvit, the turning is on the left at the big 20 baht shop - before this, keep on going past the Tesco lotus on the right, and the market on the left - about 300 meters is the 20b shop - go left here. Rioja is about the 2nd or 3rd turning on the right down this road.

Free Sunday lunch if your bill is 300b - I got there on the only Sunday I had been and the lunch was cold, but still actually tasty - very good gravy (cold! I know) - I'd like to know what time it starts. I am off the beer right now, but maybe back on it by this coming Sunday :(

I hear the alcoholic drinks are not too expensive - I got 2 soft drinks (coke and a water), 1 lady drink, 1 free Sunday lunch, 1 bar fine and a tip... total bill = 1560b including TIP

So with no lady stuff - you could possibly be drunk and get a free Sunday lunch - parrrp.

JT, you might not end up spending as much as me I think if you were to go!

That option #2 is a definite WOW!!!

Warning or feature depending on what you're into.

The Korean beef "hangover" soup which BTW I haven't tried yet mentioned in the OP is traditionally made with congealed beef blood (according to the google-verse).

That doesn't appeal to me.

I have seen other tables with it and it appears to include a massive beef thingy in it. I was curious before to try it but now I think not.

Edited by Jingthing

Read the OP.

Do you REALLY feel WOW when you see that spread of what to me looks like a BASIC English fry up?

You're forgetting the Brits can get pretty emotional over their grilled tomatoes and baked beans:-). I can't think of anything place that meets the WOW factor and the 300 baht threshold so this thread could easily degenerate into a a Cheap Charlie list. I had some excellent raviolis(280) at Labocca but when you add the starter I was well over 300.

viener schnitzel, fried potatoes, salat at The Domicil on second road between soi 7 and soi 8. Very good portions. 1/2 chicken specials some nights seemed to sell out quickly because of the price.

KISS restaurants. 300 baht goes a long way and the places tend to be busy and food is decent quality.

Haven't been for quite a while but the Friday Rib Special at Cherrys Restaurant on 3rd Rd used to impress me. Believe it is 325 baht now though.

Love Cherrys, value Yes, but certainly no WOW factor.

I do love that WOW feeling, even if it's just a faint one. There is yet another factor. WOW stickiness. It's one thing to feel some WOW the first time you get presented a dish at a restaurant ... but does that still happen later? It seems to me that would tend to diminish, and often go away entirely. Also there is lifetime experience with a food. As I mentioned before I had never had raclette before so I felt a WOW when breaking my raclette virginity. I could tell it wasn't the best raclette on the planet but raclette is a dramatic looking dish if you haven't been served it before. I reckon I would have felt the WOW at any restaurant serving a serviceable Swiss raclette the first time.

Another human nature type thing, possibly related, is discovering a new restaurant probably a specifically wonderful dish. Loving it. Craving it. Going back ... and it's not the SAME at all. The thrill is gone. Objectively perhaps the same dish, but you're not the same.

I have to mention PM cafe , among Norwegians regarded as a hidden gem in Jomtien. Located in the soi 200 meters from Kiss , turn left at 7 eleven. If you're looking for home cooked food like Norwegian cod , salmon, roasted beef, meat balls, then this is probably the closest you'll get in Thailand. Most dishes under 300 baht. Maybe not WOW food , but it gives me a feeling of being home. And the staff are friendly.

http://www.pmcafepattaya.com

Quality?

If you don't have anything seriously meeting the criteria ... you really don't have to bother to post.

There is no fast food / junk food place that could possibly fit in this thread.

If nothing else, it would be cool if more westerners check out the Korean place I have detailed here. They don't really expect business from westerners but believe me they are very welcoming.

You could start out with being a bit more specific about the location of this "Korean Place".

"KOREAN RESTAURANT

in the same mall in North Pattaya off 2nd road that contains the Bibimbap chain.

There are actually four Korean restaurants in this mall."

Those directions are a bit vague, particularly if you don't know where the Bibimbap chain is. WHERE IS IT?

You can get a very nice meal at the Hachiban Ramen restaurants for under 300 baht (I eat there for about 300 baht for 2). I always find it "Wow", but that depends on what people like to eat, doesn't it? What is "Wow" and what isn't is quite personal and a lot of people wouldn't be interested in Korean food.

Edited by tropo

Read the OP.

You're forgetting the Brits can get pretty emotional over their grilled tomatoes and baked beans:-). I can't think of anything place that meets the WOW factor and the 300 baht threshold so this thread could easily degenerate into a a Cheap Charlie list. I had some excellent raviolis(280) at Labocca but when you add the starter I was well over 300.

I agree it is exceptional to find the WOW for under 300 baht but I think I have been very clear here, multiple times, that the INTENTION of this thread is not on Cheap Charlie-ism as that has already been well covered on this forum over the years.

As I said in the OP, I found this for me, WOW (sticky wow actually) plus "how do they do it" at at least one place in Pattaya not only for 300 baht but actually as low as 220 baht, So for me, it is definitely possible.

As noted, don't feel restricted by the 300 number, go somewhat higher if you want. This is for fun and pleasure after all!

Life. liberty and at least the pursuit of WOW on a plate at a price that won't break the bank. Why the hell not?

Edited by Jingthing

I have to mention PM cafe , among Norwegians regarded as a hidden gem in Jomtien. Located in the soi 200 meters from Kiss , turn left at 7 eleven. If you're looking for home cooked food like Norwegian cod , salmon, roasted beef, meat balls, then this is probably the closest you'll get in Thailand. Most dishes under 300 baht. Maybe not WOW food , but it gives me a feeling of being home. And the staff are friendly.

http://www.pmcafepattaya.com

I very much appreciate your post about this as I have past this place many times and never tried it, and now I will. So thanks.

But just to add, a mention like this, a general restaurant recommendation would probably fit better in the long standing quick review "Hit and Run" thread.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/608166-the-hit-and-run-restaurant-review-thread/

No biggie of course ... just hoping this thread focuses more on the WOW.

In other words, there is a THEME here. The more posts that at least roughly fit into the THEME, the more value this thread might have. Not all threads need to be about EVERYTHING. At least that's what I think.

Edited by Jingthing

I've had a fair few decent meals at the Devonshire (Soi Lengkee) for around 200-250, typically British food (so doesn't really give a WOW factor, more comfort food) but very nice & within the budget mentioned

I love Korean food (in particular Beef Bibimbab), AKA (5th Floor, Central Festival Mall) do a decent one (IIRC, it's around 230Baht) & have extra chillies/sauce on the table to add more flavour (I love it really spicy, when I lived in sg, I used to buy the Korean Pepper Sauce & put it on everything I made :)).

Edited by JB300

I've had a fair few decent meals at the Devonshire (Soi Lengkee) for around 200-250, typically British food (so doesn't really give a WOW factor, more comfort food) but very nice & within the budget mentioned

I love Korean food (in particular Beef Bibimbab), AKA (5th Floor, Central Mall) do a decent one & have extra chillies/sauce on the table (I love it really spicy, when I lived in sg, I used to buy the Korean Pepper Sauce& put it on everything I made smile.png).

To me, that mall Korean place is mass market, dumbed down, banchan limited if I recall correctly, more for Thai tastes more than Korean. Do you really see many Koreans there? I haven't. Bibimbap is always served with the side chili paste to add.

Edited by Jingthing

I love Korean food (in particular Beef Bibimbab), AKA (5th Floor, Central Mall) do a decent one & have extra chillies/sauce on the table (I love it really spicy, when I lived in sg, I used to buy the Korean Pepper Sauce& put it on everything I made smile.png).

To me, that mall Korean place is mass market, dumbed down, banchan limited if I recall correctly, more for Thai tastes more than Korean. Do you really see many Koreans there? I haven't. Bibimbap is always served with the side chili paste to add.
Yes it is served with the chili paste on the side & the place is more of a Korean/Japanese BBQ place but as I say, I quite like the Bibimbab there once I've added some chopped chilies & extra Korean chili paste :P

I do wish I'd have know about the one you've mentioned though, will definitely give it a try the next time I'm in Pattaya [emoji106]

Edited by JB300

There are a number of Korean places in town targeting Koreans ... some are better than others. There are some good ones on 3rd road. I haven't even tried them all. The one from the OP is very baht bus / tourist zone friendly and to me with that there no great reason anymore to make the schlep to 3rd road. I would call the mall with this place kind of of a Korean mall as there are four Korean restaurants there. I do not like the Bibambap chain at the entrance and not really interested in the Korean sushi place, but the BBQ place across from the the Bibambap chain offers some great set price BBQ deals and is very popular with Koreans as well. But to me, at least the time I tried it, their banchan (side dishes) didn't make the grade. I'm really into banchan.

post-37101-0-18758900-1431777998_thumb.j

For those interested in Korean flavors at home, Korean fermented chili paste is sold at a number of mainstream expat markets here. Here is a great tip -- you can buy excellent cabbage KIMCHI by the kilo (200 baht) to go from the Korean restaurant a bit north of Big C, same side, a bit south of the food street market thing they've got there. It's much better than the Thailand made kimchi you can buy in supermarkets here. Kimchi goes with almost everything (if you like it)! I have seen imported from Korea kimchi at Villa ... but way more expensive, why spend that when there is good local stuff for sale?

Edited by Jingthing

I've had a fair few decent meals at the Devonshire (Soi Lengkee) for around 200-250, typically British food (so doesn't really give a WOW factor, more comfort food) but very nice & within the budget mentioned.......

And there are a lot of places in the Jomtien area that cater to British comfort tastes (Maggs, O'garas, Yupins, Ritz, etc.) and all have daily specials that put them in the 300 baht range, but they all offer the same style potatoes and veggies and the difference in food is barely distinguishable..... definitely a big zero on the WOW factor.

Someone mentioned Havana at the Holiday Inn and they have special pizza pricing one day a week and their pasta dishes look interesting with daily specials. Their burger, a big Australian beef patty, with onion rings, fries and Cole slaw is the best in Pattaya and definitely has the WOW factor.

I've had a fair few decent meals at the Devonshire (Soi Lengkee) for around 200-250, typically British food (so doesn't really give a WOW factor, more comfort food) but very nice & within the budget mentioned.......

And there are a lot of places in the Jomtien area that cater to British comfort tastes (Maggs, O'garas, Yupins, Ritz, etc.) and all have daily specials that put them in the 300 baht range, but they all offer the same style potatoes and veggies and the difference in food is barely distinguishable..... definitely a big zero on the WOW factor.

Someone mentioned Havana at the Holiday Inn and they have special pizza pricing one day a week and their pasta dishes look interesting with daily specials. Their burger, a big Australian beef patty, with onion rings, fries and Cole slaw is the best in Pattaya and definitely has the WOW factor.

In YOUR opinion remember peoples tastes differ so don't make statements for others.

In YOUR opinion remember peoples tastes differ so don't make statements for others.

Since it was my post it was obviously my opinion but to make you happy I wish I could now modify my post and add "in my view" All my friends have nothing but positive comments about their burgers. We are always in search of the best gourmet burger and often go to bangkok just to enjoy gourmet burgers. The El Gaucho in Bangkok charges 890++ for their 4 meat blend burger and my personal preference is the Havana at much less cost if important to some. For example, The Elements (Sheraton) and Beefeater pale by comparison (IMHO)