Police announce arrests in Kalim land dispute murder

Lite Beer

Police announce arrests in Kalim land dispute murder
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1432378193_1.jpg

PHUKET: Police announced that they have arrested the assassin, driver and man who ordered the hit of an elderly Muslim businessman who was killed over a land dispute in Kalim, near Patong in April.

Eed Chaisit, 72, was reportedly followed by two suspects on motorbike before he was shot four times with a .38 calibre gun on April 24.

Last week, police announced they were close to making arrests in connection to the murder following a series of raids across Phuket. Story here

Reporters summoned to a press conference at Phuket Provincial Police Station at noon yesterday (May 22) waited for hours for police to finally come out and reveal details about the latest arrests.

All three suspects were not presented to the press, as police said they “refused to meet the press”.

The suspects were named as follows:

Sutin “A-seesan” Minpan, who was arrested on Koh Chang island in Trat province on May 18, was named as a driver in the murder. According to police, he provided details about the other two suspects.

Police said that the shooter, Athit “Yees” Sanlee, was arrested in Thalang on May 21, and initially charged with possessing a gun in public without a permit.

Police revealed that Athit, who had a “tough” reputation as a bodyguard of a politician for 7-8 years, was also previously arrested for the murder of Jakkrit Nuthat in Kathu in 2012.

However, the Phuket prosecutor did pursue charges against Athit in that case due to insufficient evidence.

The third suspect, named as Tieb Nunueng, was arrested in Trang on May 21.

Police have charged him as the main conspirator in the murder, which was allegedly ordered after a dispute between the suspect and the victim over a land lease contract dispute.

According to police, Mr Tieb became enraged when the victim refused to renew the B2,000 / month contract, which had been rolling for 15 years.

Police added that they believe that the money used to pay for the hit was raised by selling Kratom grown on the disputed land, near Kalim beach.

Though police had presented to the press numerous weapons seized in previous weeks, they didn't present the actual murder weapon and other critical evidence, much of which they said had been destroyed by Mr Tieb.

Police Major General Phatchara Bunyasit, commander of Phuket Provincial Police told the press, "All thee suspects denied to appeared in public. … Many guns are connected to the suspect [Mr Athit]. Some guns can be tracked by registration, but others can't be...

“Thanks to Kathu police who did agreat job. I am sure the suspects will be prosecuted in this case, I will see to it."

Following the announement, teary-eyed relatives of the victim presented flowers to Pol Maj Geb Phatchara and said "Thank You. Similar murder cases have happened many times in Patong. But, this is first case solved it out in my life."

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/police-announce-arrests-in-kalim-land-dispute-murder-52450.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-05-23

"All three suspects were not presented to the press, as police said they "refused to meet the press"."

Must remember that in the future, if I ever get arrested.

"However, the Phuket prosecutor did pursue charges against Athit in that case due to insufficient evidence."

I think there's a "not" missing in there.

"Police revealed that Athit, who had a “tough” reputation as a bodyguard of a politician for 7-8 years, was also previously arrested for the murder of Jakkrit Nuthat in Kathu in 2012." - so, it appears he's a professional hitman.

It was only a 2000 baht per month dispute? The "hit" contract couldn't have been that lucrative.

Anyone can get killed over 1 baht here.

"teary-eyed relatives of the victim presented flowers to Pol Maj Geb Phatchara and said "Thank You." - a little premature.

I have a feeling there will be "insufficient evidence" in this case, yet again.

The relatives should save their tears for the injustice I think will happen in this case.

In fact they do. And have.

Just search for the 'One Baht Murderer'.

Worked at a gas station. Put in 1 baht more than requested. Asked the customer to pay the 1 baht. The customer refused. So he pulled out a gun and murdered him. Last year I think.

See my sig.

coffee1.gif

In fact they do. And have.

Just search for the 'One Baht Murderer'.

Worked at a gas station. Put in 1 baht more than requested. Asked the customer to pay the 1 baht. The customer refused. So he pulled out a gun and murdered him. Last year I think.

See my sig.

coffee1.gif

We have heard of "The Zero Baht Tourists" - well, there are many "Zero Baht Murders" in Thailand, usually over a loss of face, for some ridiculous reason.

So, on further reflection, you can get murdered here for no baht at all.