British tourist reportedly raped in Kanchanaburi

Thaivisa News

I understand men coming to Thailand , but wonder why a young girl on her own would want to do so ?

She wasn't on her own, she was in a large group and decided to walk to the shop 300m away along a busy well-lit street. Read the OP

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

British,teenager,drunk, early morning walk alone = stupid

Some years back, I ran into a 34 year old American musician friend who'd been playing at The Chedi on Phuket where Tiger Woods was having a party. My friend was very distressed at having to go for an HIV test as HE had been raped by a gang of ladyboys the previous week on Patong beach. And I don't believe my friend was sluttily dressed, either.

The only people unwise enough to bother reporting sexual assault to the police are teenaged foreigners who naively believe they're going to have their complaint taken seriously/have something done about as would happen in their home countries. Older people know better.

Why do you hope they catch the rapist and throw away the key? You know that is not going to happen here as you stated. Is that not your Judaeo-Christian upbringing speaking? Are you not looking down on Thailand's judicial and value systems?

CB

Yes, likely it is.

For you rape is acceptable?

How do you abduct someone on a motorcycle? Who holds her down if she is being held against her will?

Do you see this as some sort of evidence that she wasn't held against her will ?

I'm guessing a tap on the head would subdue a drunken teenager enough for her to be propped up on a bike between two guys.

Of course I do not blame the victim, but seriously, why do teenage tourists think getting drunk in a 3rd world country and wandering around like it's Disney World. Most Thai people have little and nothing to lose, they are not governed by the same controls found in the Nanny states. Tourist need to relaize that coming here and getting drunk and stoned and taking chances is not a good idea. I hope the catch the rapist and throw away the key, but of course, they will likely get 3 yrs, and then only if they are over 18.

You just did blame the victim.

Why do holiday makers think they can wear a bikini in when on holiday.

Why did the man have his money in his pocket when he was drinking.

Why did the girl smile and chat with the taxi driver.

It is your attitude that continues to give excuses to violent behaviour.

She is on holiday. She went out for drinks. She walked back to her hotel. She chatted to some friendly motorcycle guys. As you chat with friendly girls.

Maybe they offered her a ride back to the hotel.

She did nothing wrong.

This government needs to step up punishment of offences against foreigners.especially crimes of rape and violence. Nobody cares about a bag snatch or a scam here and there for a few hundred baht. The violence against foreigners in this country is the worst in the entire world.

You say she did nothing wrong... quite the contrary & lets be honest... she did everything wrong!!!

Drunk

Early hours of the morning

Alone

Female

Big mistake in a foreign lawless country & she unfortunately paid the ultimate price...

PS Yes this could and probably would happen in many countries across the world.

"She is said to have walked alone to a shop at around 1.30am on Tuesday, when a motorcyle gang abducted her and rode off."

Sorry but this is not advisable to do in Thailand when you're alone and a girl, especially after midnight . But the tourists coming here do not realize how dangerous it can be.

Anyone should be able to walk anywhere at any time without being sexually assaulted!!

Yep, and we should all have magical fairy godmothers who grant us our wishes as well.

Correct, you see, the problem was, she took a bike instead of just riding a Unicorn.

We all wish it was different .. in the meantime .. like many here, I have traveled a fair bit .. and know .. if you want trouble, mix in equal measure

(booze) + (testosterone) + (estrogen) = Trouble

It is amazing to try and say .. this sucks..it happens everywhere and too often .. and hundreds of posts later .. people debate that!

Oh, I remember .. the name of the game is to pretend it ONLY happens in Thailand.

Sorry, time to read some more silly Thai Bashing.

You're being way too modest. Take a bow. When it comes to silly, ladies & gents, we have a new winner! Oh, wait a minute, I dont believe the rape victim is clapping ... Edited by hawker9000

A good guide to one's behaviour while out of your own country is: Would I do this at home?.

The answer will be - maybe - depends on the location, circumstances, all manner of things.

You are smart to do this test when you are away from home, while bearing in mind the following:

At home you know the rules, the risks, the likely behaviour of other people.

While you are away in a foreign country you have to realise that you don't know any if these things, so you must be doubly careful compared to how you judge a potential situation.

In Australia, which is my home, I know for sure there are plenty of places that I would not dream of going around in, drunk at 1.30am, and I'm just a crusty old male, not a 19 year old girl.

Lets hope that the BIB doesn't tell the 19 year old victim that " You can't Rape the Willing," or words to that effect, because it's par for the course in the LOS.

That's why so many young farang female rape victims don't even bother reporting the sexual assault..

Why be raped, then abused-re-humiliated all over again?

She would have had to die, and the case go viral for the BIB to get real serious and find the Perp.

Remember the young lady from Scotland?

And the Beat Goes On..

sad.png

So foreign tourist who come on holiday in Thailand once in a lifetime know how rape is treated by the Thai government?

There will always be rape and muggings and even random acts of murder, everywhere. It's absurd to say the solution is to eradicate these things or that this girl was perfectly at liberty to wander the streets alone drunk in the small hours in a third world country because in a perfect world she would be able to. That's head-in-sand naivety.

Tourists should exercise reasonable prudence, wherever they are.

You say she did nothing wrong... quite the contrary & lets be honest... she did everything wrong!!!

Drunk

Early hours of the morning

Alone

Female

Big mistake in a foreign lawless country & she unfortunately paid the ultimate price...

PS Yes this could and probably would happen in many countries across the world.

I'm guessing you haven't bothered to read this thread or you wouldn't be stupid enough to repeat the same tedious boorish 'blame the victim' comments some other posters have been roundly taken to task for. Would you coffee1.gif

There will always be rape and muggings and even random acts of murder, everywhere. It's absurd to say the solution is to eradicate these things or that this girl was perfectly at liberty to wander the streets alone drunk in the small hours in a third world country because in a perfect world she would be able to. That's head-in-sand naivety.

Not just tourists, everybody.

Tit for tat. You just invented an equally implausible scenario. Two issues conflated here: one, tourists failing to respect local cultural constraints; two, the ongoing victimisation of female rape victims. Keep them separate, and you won't end up polarising the argument. Thanks.

Of course I do not blame the victim, but seriously, why do teenage tourists think getting drunk in a 3rd world country and wandering around like it's Disney World. Most Thai people have little and nothing to lose, they are not governed by the same controls found in the Nanny states. Tourist need to relaize that coming here and getting drunk and stoned and taking chances is not a good idea. I hope the catch the rapist and throw away the key, but of course, they will likely get 3 yrs, and then only if they are over 18.

You just did blame the victim.
Why do holiday makers think they can wear a bikini in when on holiday.
Why did the man have his money in his pocket when he was drinking.
Why did the girl smile and chat with the taxi driver.
It is your attitude that continues to give excuses to violent behaviour.
She is on holiday. She went out for drinks. She walked back to her hotel. She chatted to some friendly motorcycle guys. As you chat with friendly girls.
Maybe they offered her a ride back to the hotel.
She did nothing wrong.
This government needs to step up punishment of offences against foreigners.especially crimes of rape and violence. Nobody cares about a bag snatch or a scam here and there for a few hundred baht. The violence against foreigners in this country is the worst in the entire world.

I'm sure but you never been there, another <deleted>.

I am sure there are parts in London or other big cities in UK where you shouldn't wander around complete drunk in the middle of the night....

I am sure there are parts in London or other big cities in UK where you shouldn't wander around complete drunk in the middle of the night....

Parts of is exactly right

I wish people would stop making stupid statements like "every city in the world is dangerous" because it is simply not the case, it would be true however to say that some large cities in various countries have areas were it is advisable for tourists (or even locals) not to go, most people would generally do a little research before arriving or ask locals where is safe and not safe.

Kanchanabury is not a City for a start - it is a small tourist town with attractions that strangely enough - attract tourists to visit there, the fact is that over the years Thailands record for tourist safety is extremely poor and they have done little to improve it, it is understandable that this young girl felt safe to walk to a shop in a busy street in a tourist area, most of us here would probably have advised against it since because we are more aware of what goes on here as we see it and read about it on a daily basis.

Ultimately it is up to the Thai authorities to create a safe environment for tourists which unfortunately they seem unable to do even though they have relied on tourism income for some 30 years, these young thugs are allowed to roam the "un-policed" streets at night in gangs with little effort to stop them - for me that is a huge fail, I believe the typical Thai attitude to this would be - she should not have been out alone drunk and it is her own fault, when in fact the blame is 100% with the authorities for not making sure the streets are policed properly 24hrs a day and tourists are safe no matter what.

Not hard for the local police to find these thugs as I am sure they are well known, unfortunately the police are as usual acting after the event instead of proactive policing to prevent it happening

This girl is probably very lucky she is still alive

Edited by smedly

Lets turn it around..

5 farangs on motorbikes have raped a 19 year old thai girl..

How long would it take the police force to hunt them down and for the court to hand out life sentence ?

But in Thailand its usually the other way around..

Thai farang crime have low policie priority and get low sentence in court

Thainess at it best....

Feel sorry for the victim here, but we all know nothing will happen...

You should all post this shit on your social media profiles to warn all others from visiting this place...

us who live here, we are already doomed..... wai2.gif

Not just tourists, everybody.

What total BS this whole "it happens everywhere" claptrap is. What a great tagline that is for a tourist destination: "Attention World!! Come spend your vacation here!! Our crime problem is just the same as yours back home!!"

See, the thing is, tourists aren't exactly flocking to downtown Detroit ... If you want to be a tourist draw, you kind of have to up your game a little.

Every day Thailand is losing more and more tourist by these low life no respect for life barbarians. It is the governments fault for letting so many Thai men Beat and disrespect there wives and girl friends. I believe it is two late for the government to correct these people because it is normal in Thai and not enough punishment if they are caught. 500 baht fine bu-l shit!

One more data point. A sad, tragic data point.

The wee hours are for sleeping.

Sleeping? Yes if you are between 60 and death maybe. Perfectly fine for 19 year old to be out and partying.

Good thing is they only need to catch one of the animals.

The politically correct crowd are out again condemning a poster for suggesting she contributed to the situation in which she found herself.

What she received can never be condoned in any country/society, but wandering around pickled in a different country and city, can at best, be described as imprudent at best, and downright foolish at best. Even doing it in her home country would be ill advised.

I wouldn't do that in my home country, and I'm a male, with a few skills in self defence, and offence if necessary. I certainly wouldn't do it in Kanchanaburi, or Bangkok or Nong Khai, etc.

So whilst I'm not saying she should be blamed, I think she should have been a little/lot more aware of her actions and surroundings.

Every day Thailand is losing more and more tourist by these low life no respect for life barbarians. It is the governments fault for letting so many Thai men Beat and disrespect there wives and girl friends. I believe it is two late for the government to correct these people because it is normal in Thai and not enough punishment if they are caught. 500 baht fine bu-l shit!

Beating up on women is promoted in Thai soaps every night.

I think there is a lot of truth in this, I once attempted to intervene when I saw a Thai man punching his girlfriend but the Thais I was with thought I was insane.

IT IS NOT OK FOR A MAN TO VIOLENTLY HIT A WOMAN IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

The politically correct crowd are out again condemning a poster for suggesting she contributed to the situation in which she found herself.

What she received can never be condoned in any country/society, but wandering around pickled in a different country and city, can at best, be described as imprudent at best, and downright foolish at best. Even doing it in her home country would be ill advised.

I wouldn't do that in my home country, and I'm a male, with a few skills in self defence, and offence if necessary. I certainly wouldn't do it in Kanchanaburi, or Bangkok or Nong Khai, etc.

So whilst I'm not saying she should be blamed, I think she should have been a little/lot more aware of her actions and surroundings.

Was she was "wandering around pickled" then? I thought it said she went to the shop.

Two Thai Men Arrested for Allegedly Raping British Tourist
By Khaosod English

KANCHANABURI — Police say two men are under arrest for raping a 19-year-old female British tourist in western Thailand earlier this week.

The sexual assault took place in Kanchanburi province on 26 May, said Pol.Maj.Gen. Kamolsanti Klanbut, commander of the provincial police force. The victim has already returned to her home country, he said.

Rumor about the alleged rape spread across the province, a popular tourist destination, and was reported by a number of media agencies yesterday.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1432886892

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-05-29

Why do you hope they catch the rapist and throw away the key? You know that is not going to happen here as you stated. Is that not your Judaeo-Christian upbringing speaking? Are you not looking down on Thailand's judicial and value systems?

CB

Now there's a conflict of terms. What's to look down on?

Simple enough detective work. 90% victim blame for being there, another 5 for reporting and acting like an innocent party, regardless of the facts in issue.

Cut and dry,beatdeadhorse.gifsorry.gif Case closed regardless of different facts in issue....... next.

Where does it say the biker gang was Thai...?

Also, this even happens in the nanny states, bikers all over the world make a point of raping, its a male chauvinistic culture that endorses abuse and objectification of women... this happens often even in the most highly "nannied" states... bikers are just scum with a delusional sense of entitlement and a perverted perspective on life, values, fellow human beings and society !

Having reported the crime proves well for the young lass... don't let these pathetic thugs have the better of her... !

I am sorry for deviating from the main topic of this thread. Rape in any form can never be condoned. But I must take issue with the above post, and from the vitriolic comments with regard to motorcyclists, which sadly does not appear to have been picked up on, that it is dopenhagen himself or herself that has the perverted perspective on life.

Yes there are motorcycle gangs (mainly reported in the USA) that perpetrate many crimes, including rape. But the other 99.99% of motorcyclists are responsible members of society, and include members of the British and other Royal families. My own local motorcycle club in the UK has raised many thousands of pounds for worthwhile charities, including hospices, air ambulances, and to help many individuals and sick children in the area. My local club is only one of such clubs that throughout the UK and no doubt the world that does this. To suggest as motorcyclists we are all rapists or potential rapists is an insult to all motorcyclists, and as said previously indicates what a narrow and perverted perspective the poster has on life himself (or herself)

Been riding bikes since I was 16 - 54 years ago, Still riding and enjoying the freedom and exhilaration and now after just being informed I've beaten bladder cancer, looking forward to more extensive touring in Thailand, with a long tour of Cambodia planned.

It is such a shame that Thai Visa has such bigots as members

So you are blaming the victim then.

Not blaming, but people needs to think how they act.

For example, if you are an 18 year old female, who gets drunk and wasted and then strips down bare naked in the middle of know where in a 3rd world country, is it her fault that she got raped? No. Can we blame her for it, No. But can we say that it was pretty stupid of her to act like that? YES!

" But can we say that it was pretty stupid of her to act like that? YES!" - act like WHAT precisely???????

Edited by cumgranosalum

I swear that this country is going to hell in a handbasket. The level of crime, and especially violent and sexual attack type crime has risen dramatically in the last few years.

So more bad PR for Thailand abroad, what with this being reported in the UK and the bungee jumper the other day. How much more is it going to take for Thailand to start getting serious about this mess. And by that I mean doing some serious police work and actually locking up these sick perps. No more 500 baht fines and suspended sentences. That's no deterrent al all. Start handing out heavy fines and real jail time and let's see what happens.

Cue the minister of tourism to declare all is well and everone is safe here.