Fined because of wrong colour car roof !

This is why I carefully look over every document I receive at a government office before I leave and ask them to correct mistakes or explain items I don't understand on the spot before I leave. You won't believe how many times they make mistakes. Of course, I ask in a pleasant way and there is always much embarrassed smiling. No one has ever been offended or refused to correct a mistake. This is one major reason I'm glad I learned to read Thai and take my big English-Thai and Thai-English dictionaries (yes, two big books) with me when I go to a government office to engage in an activity I've not done before.

I've found my own anal-retentive characteristics to be more reliable than depending on a native Thai speaker to "help me out".

I`m not yet able to read and write Thai, but my wife both reads and writes. Its her car, but she expected the authorities could make the paperwork proper, its their trade not her. another thing is that nor she or me can see that the colour of the car roof have any importance. In my home country I can paint my car as I wish, exept for imitation of the emergency wehicles uniform paint.

The color of the roof is very important for all those police traffic helicopters patrolling all the highways in Thailand keeping people safe. So they can identify you when on a high speed chase or relaying information about your speeding to a check point down the road. cheesy.gif

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, everything must be absolutely correct in your blue book. If it is two tone it must been shown as that, Carryboy must also be noted in the blue book.

Strange how half the populous can drive totally illegal every day with noooooooooooooooo problems eh.....whistling.gif

So even a wrapped hood would need to be recorded in the blue book, despite 90% of the colour is correct?

And how would the BiB fine the OP, especially if the blurbook was not available to show them? I guess the OP was not able to prove the paperwork was in order.

Guess 10 years ago.

Master of Stupidy.

it was shortly before or after nakon sawan on the highway to Bkk. The traffic coming from bangkok warned everbody with ther flashlights about a coming police controll. So really everbody was slowing down and sure within the speedlimit.

There was the coming big checkpoint. They waved all cars from the right lane to stop on the left side. It was chaos there, coz everbody must cross the slower left line traffic. The officer said we were to fast. Sure not. He said to day they fine all fast cars. The speedlimit is today not important aka overridden not valid. We were on the right lane, so we must pay. My wife get out to the installed cash in desk. There were around 20-30 drivers at the desk. Everyone complained. All drivers were to be agreed not driving to fast.

Revolution. Therewhile i stayed in our car and was afraind about the passing traffic. A police man waved out a car from the head of the queue. Then a truck crashed in. Big Accident.

20 sec. Later my wife sit beside me. She said: we go, they are stupid.

No fine for us. Tit

Edited by tomacht8

This is why I carefully look over every document I receive at a government office before I leave and ask them to correct mistakes or explain items I don't understand on the spot before I leave. You won't believe how many times they make mistakes. Of course, I ask in a pleasant way and there is always much embarrassed smiling. No one has ever been offended or refused to correct a mistake. This is one major reason I'm glad I learned to read Thai and take my big English-Thai and Thai-English dictionaries (yes, two big books) with me when I go to a government office to engage in an activity I've not done before.

I've found my own anal-retentive characteristics to be more reliable than depending on a native Thai speaker to "help me out".

I`m not yet able to read and write Thai, but my wife both reads and writes. Its her car, but she expected the authorities could make the paperwork proper, its their trade not her. another thing is that nor she or me can see that the colour of the car roof have any importance. In my home country I can paint my car as I wish, exept for imitation of the emergency wehicles uniform paint.

I am not surprised.

In my EU home country, you have to change color also in your car -homologation certificate-.

if you change it.

Your wife shall read next time all exactly and not believe on the infallibility of a Government office. wink.png

Guess 10 years ago.

Master of Stupidy.

it was shortly before or after nakon sawan on the highway to Bkk. The traffic coming from bangkok warned everbody with ther flashlights about a coming police controll. So really everbody was slowing down and sure within the speedlimit.

There was the coming big checkpoint. They waved all cars from the right lane to stop on the left side. It was chaos there, coz everbody must cross the slower left line traffic. The officer said we were to fast. Sure not. He said to day they fine all fast cars. The speedlimit is today not important aka overridden not valid. We were on the right lane, so we must pay. My wife get out to the installed cash in desk. There were around 20-30 drivers at the desk. Everyone complained. All drivers were to be agreed not driving to fast.

Revolution. Therewhile i stayed in our car and was afraind about the passing traffic. A police man waved out a car from the head of the queue. Then a truck crashed in. Big Accident.

20 sec. Later my wife sit beside me. She said: we go, they are stupid.

No fine for us. Tit

The police in Bangkok were banned from setting up check-points by the Top cop, about 3 years ago.

Just too bleedin' dangerous.

Lasted about 1 yr in fairness.

Why can't I believe what the OP is saying?

May be it's just me.

Dislike, -1.

What do you know?

Color is part of the entries in the blue book.

Annoying to be caught if the entry is not accurate.

But sorry no escape here.

RTP is creative if they need money whistling.gif

About the lights on: another unbelievable rule that opens a path to abuse.

You must not turn on the lights as long as you can see a car to the distance of 150m.

As said: arbitrary abuse possible.

The modern "daylights" (usually LED) are tolerated.

and anyone with half a brain knows you dont have to pay a fine on the spot and can pay at local police station..you just simply drive away and forget it..nothing is on a computer here for this type of thing or they wouldnt put it in there pocket..in theory..a little tip for the uninformed..

Not always. in Hua Hin and Phuket, copper will sometimes take license if you don't pay on the spot.

Perhaps we can have a competition as to which poster had to pay a driving fine for the most stupid reason given by the cop.

I'll start off with a good one.

In 2002, when I first cam to Thailand, I was fined 1,000 baht by a traffic cop close to Dorn Meung airport in BKK, because he said the tollway there was only for Thai drivers, not foreigners cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Now who can do better than that?

Wasn't fined but when pulled over at a traffic stop years ago on me 750 Suzuki the officer, after checking my licence was in order, asked my wife who was on the back a question, she responded and we were waved on, asking her what he asked she said he asked if you could balance!!!!! Edited by Lt Frank Bullitt

Perhaps we can have a competition as to which poster had to pay a driving fine for the most stupid reason given by the cop.

I'll start off with a good one.

In 2002, when I first cam to Thailand, I was fined 1,000 baht by a traffic cop close to Dorn Meung airport in BKK, because he said the tollway there was only for Thai drivers, not foreigners cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Now who can do better than that?

I would truly believe this....... so I guess you were not in a taxi? Talk about special treatment..... gigglem.gifgigglem.gifgigglem.gif

They will find any way to fine you, I got fined for having my fog lights on at night driving along a dark stretch of road.

Was there any fog on the night in question? If not then you deserved to be fined. If there was then they were wrong to fine you. They are called fog lights for a reason.

Agreed, fog lights can be blinding to other drivers and considering a police officer caught him, clearly there were other vehicles on the road.

and anyone with half a brain knows you dont have to pay a fine on the spot and can pay at local police station..you just simply drive away and forget it..nothing is on a computer here for this type of thing or they wouldnt put it in there pocket..in theory..a little tip for the uninformed..

Anyone that had some basic experience of Thailand would know the police sometimes set-up on the side of the road and you pay your fine there and then on the spot.

Did you get a receipt?

I was fined 200 Baht (receipted) for not having the "Carry Boy" registered. It had been on the back of my DMax 10 years at the time. They have a mastermind somewhere who just devises ways to raise revenue. Too bad he/she could spend more time getting un roadworthy buses and trucks off the roads.

If you install a CarryBoy type cover or bed rack on your pick-up, you must go at the land transport office and this will be recorded in your blue book .

Normally the shop will tell you about it. You have 30 days to present yourself at the Land Transport Office.

I bought a 10 year old NIssan and the fiberglass back cover was already registered in the book by the previous owner.

So someone forgot to tell you about it.

Did you get a receipt?

I was fined 200 Baht (receipted) for not having the "Carry Boy" registered. It had been on the back of my DMax 10 years at the time. They have a mastermind somewhere who just devises ways to raise revenue. Too bad he/she could spend more time getting un roadworthy buses and trucks off the roads.

If you install a CarryBoy type cover or bed rack on your pick-up, you must go at the land transport office and this will be recorded in your blue book .

Normally the shop will tell you about it. You have 30 days to present yourself at the Land Transport Office.

I bought a 10 year old NIssan and the fiberglass back cover was already registered in the book by the previous owner.

So someone forgot to tell you about it.

Um ... I had my fiberglass back cover fitted 3 years ago by Carryboy, they never said anything ... better get to the Land Transport Office quick then.

They will find any way to fine you, I got fined for having my fog lights on at night driving along a dark stretch of road.

Was there any fog on the night in question? If not then you deserved to be fined. If there was then they were wrong to fine you. They are called fog lights for a reason.

I call them "Can see dogs sleeping on the near side lights"..........coffee1.gif

I call them... hey ! look at me lights.

Did you get a receipt?

Nothing wrong with this. You did not register the Canopy mounted on your Pickup as the Law requires. You are lucky that they didn't catch you earlier. smile.png

Following to the Land Transport regulations a second vehicle color has to be registered it it uses up 50% of the cars outside. This is not happen if the roof is in other color. No way to have to pay a fine for this. I have seen so many policemen in my time in Thailand and most of them do not know the traffic laws at all. I would have refused to pay.

Did you get a receipt?

Yes we got the receipt. Crazy country this.

Post it on Facebook and send me the link. I will make sure that some TV Channel people see it.

A Thai traffic cop told me about this rule so I never use them in built up areas where the "highway men" might be lurking, but out on the open road they are useful for spotting dogs and wild animals as they have a wider beam spread low down. Of course that logic and reason would fall on deaf ears. Horses for courses I suppose. Now, must get my Carryboy officially registered grrrr ?. Edited by watso63

You'll also get fined anywhere in Europe, when driving with fog lights and there's no fog. Guess that's why they called them so?

Did you get a receipt?

Yes we got the receipt. Crazy country this.

Post it on Facebook and send me the link. I will make sure that some TV Channel people see it.

It's $6. Let it go. Laugh it off. Life's too short...

Why can't I believe what the OP is saying?

May be it's just me.

Dislike, -1.

What do you know?

Color is part of the entries in the blue book.

Annoying to be caught if the entry is not accurate.

But sorry no escape here.

RTP is creative if they need money whistling.gif

About the lights on: another unbelievable rule that opens a path to abuse.

You must not turn on the lights as long as you can see a car to the distance of 150m.

As said: arbitrary abuse possible.

The modern "daylights" (usually LED) are tolerated.

Huh! My m'bike light are always on when I start the bike- doesn't even have a light switch. Are you saying that all Honda Click drivers are breaking the law every time they drive?

Of course you can paint your care any colour,but it must be documented.

Yep, everything must be absolutely correct in your blue book. If it is two tone it must been shown as that, Carryboy must also be noted in the blue book.

Strange how half the populous can drive totally illegal every day with noooooooooooooooo problems eh.....whistling.gif

Agree transam,coming back from Koh chang,i saw a old pickup that looked like it had been in a demolition derby,it was a mass of dents and jagged metal,not one light was unbroken,and it was stacked to overflowing with sawn logs,in fact it was overflowing,as i had noted several lying in the road before i came up on it,how the hell could this be on the road,later i saw what appeared to be it's sister vehicle, broken down with a snapped rear axle,no wonder with the huge logs they had on it,the back wheels where like two donuts,on either side,almost horizontal on the road,my theory is the cops realise these people have no money,so just ignore them,after all it is not about enforcing the law,but lining there pockets,i was told recently that to get into the police you have too know someone,and pay around 200,000 baht to get accepted then,they have to buy the gun,motorbike,and not sure about the uniform,so this could take a few years to recoup,not sure if this is true,but if it is well of course they will be corrupt[receipt or not,i spose they have to give some out],the whole structure needs overhauling,from what i can see the general doing is no more than the usual hot air,and band aid solutions,sack the whole force,make them reapply for their jobs,give them a new Blue instead of that awful brown uniform,a decent salary and benefits,supply all Police equipment,like most of the rest of the world,at the moment they are like a Yoeman Police force,but of course this would cost billions so will never be done,but it would benefit the country much more than a high speed train link to China.

I think that is the longest sentence I have ever seen....clap2.gif

About a year ago, I was on my way to Pattaya with 2 bicycles, safely ensconced in a new bike rack on the back of my pickup, securely tied down with redundant straps. As secure and safe as could be.

I got pulled over on the Bang Na Trad toll gate by a cop who kept pointing at the bikes, and showing me a laminated sheet with pictures of trucks with stuff tied on top as an example of what’s not allowed, while shaking his finger at me like my 1st grade teacher used to do. With him speaking virtually no English and me no Thai, he took my license, gave me a ticket and sent me on my way.

I was bummed. I had a thousand dollars worth of bicycles, a pretty expensive bike rack, and the whole reason I bought the pickup was to get out of Bangkok with my toys to go out and play on weekends. For days, I wondered what I would do with the pickup, the bikes, my kayak and surfboard, and all the stuff I had no use for if I can’t haul it with the truck. What a waste of money, and how can they sell bike racks if they’re not legal???

And what about all the Thai trucks on the expressway with crap stacked 15’ high and not tied down at all. Why was I being singled out?

Later that week at work, I asked one of the ladies to read for me exactly what was the ticket for.

My registration had expired and I needed to get a new sticker. Oops.

I later sent one of the local scooter guys to the cop shop pay the fine. Had I not asked the lady at work, I’d still be thinking I paid a fine for the bicycles on the truck…