National Park fees to increase

Beng

According to an article in the Bangkok Post, the entrance fee to national parks went up on 1st of May 2015.

Foreigners presenting a thai driver's licence or other documents showing that they live here, are not any longer given thai fee and now have to pay 500 Baht per Adult.

Can anyone share his or her experiences while visiting a national park recently ?

Does Work Permit work the same as DL?

Yes, in fact logic dictates it should only be WP holders who get Thai rates as these are the only foreigner's paying income tax in Thailand, and thus contributing to the upkeep of the parks via their tax, a DL means nothing, as a tourist can get one, so this shouldn't be used as a measure of getting the Thai rate or not and its most certainly not a measure of " residency " Edited by Soutpeel

Yes, in fact logic dictates it should only be WP holders who get Thai rates as these are the only foreigner's paying income tax in Thailand, and thus contributing to the upkeep of the parks via their tax, a DL means nothing, as a tourist can get one, so this shouldn't be used as a measure of getting the Thai rate or not and its most certainly not a measure of " residency "

Your logic is not verry logical.

I have no work permit, but I pay tax on everything I buy plus tax on the intrest of my bankaccount (that's income tax).

Yermanee wai.gif

Edited by yermanee

Yes, in fact logic dictates it should only be WP holders who get Thai rates as these are the only foreigner's paying income tax in Thailand, and thus contributing to the upkeep of the parks via their tax, a DL means nothing, as a tourist can get one, so this shouldn't be used as a measure of getting the Thai rate or not and its most certainly not a measure of " residency "

I have no work permit, but I pay tax on everything I buy plus tax on the intrest of my bankaccount (that's income tax).

Yermanee wai.gif

Its very logical, one assumes your talking about VAT everyone even tourist pay on goods and services received,which sometimes they can claim back , so that can't be a measure of really "paying tax" in Thailand thus giving someone the right to local prices

No the true measure of paying Thai prices should be being able to produce a WP thereby proving legitimised residency in Thailand and in most cases paying proper income tax further

we must as also accept not all WP holders actually pay tax or even have an income as they are volunteers, but in the case of volunteers they are contributing to the country so guess they should get Thai prices as well

Of course the really fair way is not to give Thai prices to anyone who is not a Thai citizen or PR

After all its only THB 500 and all resident farangs are rich, so it only means drinking a few less Leo that day

Yermanee wai.gif

Its very logical, one assumes your talking about VAT everyone even tourist pay on goods and services received,which sometimes they can claim back , so that can't be a measure of really "paying tax" in Thailand thus giving someone the right to local prices

No the true measure of paying Thai prices should be being able to produce a WP thereby proving legitimised residency in Thailand and in most cases paying proper income tax further

we must as also accept not all WP holders actually pay tax or even have an income as they are volunteers, but in the case of volunteers they are contributing to the country so guess they should get Thai prices as well

Of course the really fair way is not to give Thai prices to anyone who is not a Thai citizen or PR

After all its only THB 500 and all resident farangs are rich, so it only means drinking a few less Leo that day

It makes complete sense, but that would require the Thai officials thinking a bit. They don't like. And also would cut their income. They don't like. So I don't see it happening.

Either way, most parks here are rubbish and barely worth the Thai entrance fee, let alone 500 baht.

I've worked and paid taxes here for almost 20 years. Now I'm retired, but spend money everyday and therefore pay VAT.

The driver's licence rule makes perfect sense.

Edited by Beng

Yermanee wai.gif

"income tax "

I've worked and paid taxes here for almost 20 years. Now I'm retired, but spend money everyday and therefore pay VAT.

Not to mention the tax drivers pay on fuel etc!

Do the parks receive tax payers money for upkeep ? Or are they supposed to use entrance fee to maintain the facilities ?

Either way, most don't bother...

I think most long term "residents" put more money into the local economies than the majority of the non tax paying Thais.

Do the parks receive tax payers money for upkeep ? Or are they supposed to use entrance fee to maintain the facilities ?

Either way, most don't bother...

I think most long term "residents" put more money into the local economies than the majority of the non tax paying Thais.

More urban myths me thinks so the the resident farangs can beat their chests and demand rights

per the premise of some posters 65 million Thai pay tax every single day, via VAT if the vast majority of non tax paying Thai are not contributing then neither are the farangs who don't work here or pay any income tax either

Cant have it both ways dear boy

Not to mention the tax drivers pay on fuel etc!

Excise tax is paid by even people who ride in taxis, it is not income tax.

per the premise of some posters 65 million Thai pay tax every single day, via VAT if the vast majority of non tax paying Thai are not contributing then neither are the farangs who don't work here or pay any income tax either

By the same token, if those Thais not paying income tax are given concessions on entrance fees by virtue of their payment of other taxes, then so should foreigners making their permanent home in Thailand, whether with official PR or not. After all, such a non-working foreigner pays exactly the same taxes as a non-working Thai.

Or perhaps it's assumed that non-income tax paying Thais have a close relative (e.g. spouse) who does pay income tax so they ride on the back of that. Guess what - many non-income tax paying foreigners are in exactly the same boat.

I know the government make an issue of having paid income tax for PR/Citizenship issues, but I'm sure NPs are supported from all sources of tax, not just tax on income.

But ultimately discussion of this subject is doomed - I won't change your opinion and you won't change mine, no matter how sensible we each think our arguments are.

I don't think what one pays in taxes should have anything to do with it.

If the entrance fee were based on the amount of tax paid, a rich business man would get in free, while a poor, 70 year-old woman would pay full price.

It should based on legal residency.

But you're right, no one will change their position, the cheezers always want someone else to pay their way.

I don't think what one pays in taxes should have anything to do with it.

If the entrance fee were based on the amount of tax paid, a rich business man would get in free, while a poor, 70 year-old woman would pay full price.

It should based on legal residency.

But you're right, no one will change their position, the cheezers always want someone else to pay their way.

That's fair enough PR or citizens only get the "local" price, everyone else, tourist/WP/ annual extension of stay & long term visa's excluded, after all its only THB 500 we are talking about anyway

This topic is not about the 500 Baht fee or wether WP or DL holders are entitled to pay the local price.

Its about national parks are not accepting DL of farang living here anymore.

This topic is not about the 500 Baht fee or wether WP or DL holders are entitled to pay the local price.

Its about national parks are not accepting DL of farang living here anymore.

Er yes it is go and read your own OP :blink:

Even the title of your thread says so

Edited by Soutpeel