Fasting mimicking diet ... how do you actually do it?

Jingthing

I have an alternative idea.

Do a three day juice fast every month.

I really believe this would sort out lots of issues regardless of what you ate for the rest of the month.

Can you point to any kind of study regarding that suggestion?

No.

A juice fast will give your body a rest and chance to recharge itself.

It is not dissimilar to a fast really.

And fasting has had some studies done which show it could be beneficial.

Give it a try.

All you need is a juicer and some good quality veggies and plenty of water.

Everyone I know who has done a juice fast has said they felt better.

JT

We have been down this road before.

There is tons of scientific research that a permanent reduced calorie diet significantly extends both healthy life expectancy and actual life expectancy (they are not the same).

http://www.healthline.com/health-news/aging-low-calorie-diet-linked-to-longevity-090313

However, you have stated on many occasions, that you do not have the self-discipline to maintain any sort of diet longer than a week. So what is the point in this?

Edited by Briggsy

JT

There is tons of scientific research that a permanent reduced calorie diet significantly extends both healthy life expectancy and actual life expectancy (they are not the same).

http://www.healthline.com/health-news/aging-low-calorie-diet-linked-to-longevity-090313

However, you have stated on many occasions, that you do not have the self-discipline to maintain any sort of diet longer than a week. So what is the point in this?

You're right about the general subject of long term calorie reduction and healthy life span. I mentioned that here already.

Otherwise, what a disgusting trollish personal attack post and also having nothing to do with reality. I won't bother to defend myself against such garbage. Waste of time.

I will say as a person who has achieved major weight loss and kept if off for years now, that if someone like me attracts the kind of SICK and TWISTED personal abuse as dished out above, imagine the abuse that someone coming on here looking for support who is currently FAILING! Don't wonder why don't we see many of those people here, which really represent the vast majority of people who are struggling with weight control / health issues.

Welcome to my ignore list.

Edited by Jingthing

Note to mods ... it is fine with me if this thread is closed now.

I was looking for specific technical info on something very specific and it's clear to me now that information isn't going to be available.

So I see no reason for this thread to live and go further off topic.

JT

I am sure it is healthier to have a controlled healthy food intake all the time.

If sometimes eat a bit to much it won't matter.

But eating 1 month without limits unhealthy food and 5 days almost nothing doesn't seem to be very healthy to me.

It seems I spoke too soon suggesting this thread be closed, because I have now found a clue directly related to what I am asking about, so perhaps there will be more, and perhaps others might be interested in exploring this very specific thing, which is:

What Exactly Do You Eat For the Fasting Mimicking Diet During the 5 Day Per Month Period.

Please, if you don't have anything that relates to this serious and very SPECIFIC topic, do not post here.

Nothing please about other programs.

No trollish personal insults.

Only about this specific program and how to actually, practically DO IT.

Perhaps nobody has anything else to say that does relate to the actual topic. That is fine. Off topic is not fine.

Here is the first specific clue I've got.

I have no idea if this program actually mirrors the plan but its something to chew on anyway.

As you can see, the calories are specified, but does that plan actually provide the correct content percentages?

Anyway, I think there is going to more demand out there for information on SPECIFIC meal plans for the 5 day period.

Assuming the study expands and continues to show promise.

Or perhaps this recent press wave is the first and last time we'll ever hear about this concept. We'll see, won't we?

http://www.harpersbazaar.com/beauty/diet-fitness/news/a11291/five-day-fasting-diet/

Here's a sample of what one 5-day cycle looks like.
(Remember this is done/followed only once a month.)
Day One
FMD permitted calories: 1,090 max
Breakfast: Black or Green Tea; one boiled egg (78 calories) + one slice whole wheat toast (68 calories)
Lunch: black coffee or tea; small green salad with avocado, dressed with olive oil (300 calories)
Snack: two almonds (28 calories)
Dinner: Large helping of mixed green vegetable soup with borlotti beans, and slice of whole wheat bread (616 calories)

Day Two
FMD permitted calories: 725 calories max
Breakfast: Black or green tea; one poached egg with a grilled tomato (100 calories)
Lunch: Miso soup (21 cals)
Snack: 7 walnut halves (90 cals)
Dinner: Vegetable chilli with kidney beans and two tsp sour cream (514 cals)

Day Three
Breakfast: Black or Green tea: one slice whole wheat toast with two tsp of cashew butter (150 calories)
Lunch: Espresso; Smoked Salmon (100g) with watercress (200 cals)
Snack: Blueberries (100g) (57 cals)
Dinner: Large portion vegetable soup (318 cals)

Day Four
Breakfast: Black or Green tea; half an avocado on one slice of whole wheat toast (220 cals)
Lunch: Espresso; 250ml glass of almond milk (60 cals)
Snack: two squares 70 per cent dark chocolate (110 cals)
Dinner: Large green salad with 100g prawns, dressed with olive oil and lemon juice (335 cals)

Day Five
Breakfast: black or green tea; two boiled eggs (156 cals)
Lunch: Half an avocado on toast; miso soup (210 cals)
Snack: An apple (60 cals)
Dinner: Large portion of vegetable soup with 10g toasted pine nuts (299 cals)

Same Same but different:

I just read that the most popular diet in my home country is don't eating every second day.

Wouldn't be good for me but it seems that fasting goes from 1 Month (Catholic, Muslims) down to just 1 day with every option between.

• 3 months later...

The stuff that your body eats during fasting is caleld ketones. They are substituting the glucose. That state is called ketosis.

Instead of doing it for 5 days. You can do it permanently. Google nutritional ketosis.

Here's a link: http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/ketosis-advantaged-or-misunderstood-state-part-i

And no it's not about calories. You can eat 4000 kcal and still be in a "fasting state".

Edited by Edgehog net

The stuff that your body eats during fasting is caleld ketones. They are substituting the glucose. That state is called ketosis.

Instead of doing it for 5 days. You can do it permanently. Google nutritional ketosis.

Here's a link: http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/ketosis-advantaged-or-misunderstood-state-part-i

And no it's not about calories. You can eat 4000 kcal and still be in a "fasting state".

Sure but even in ketosis you need to burn more as you take in. Ketosis is no magic bullet the same rules apply, it can be useful for people who are insulin resistant. I have tried it all, and believe me there is no magic diet and a balanced diet with carbs (complex ones) is good too.

Most people I know (there are probably exceptions) find reaching and staying in ketosis a problem as it does affect your mental abilities (at first you get used to it later and you keep urinating ect) Its just not for everyone.

I did a few times a 1 day fast (completely no food) and then the next day normal food. It was hard but doable but not really something I like. I prefer to eat healthy with vegetables and fruits and some carbs and proteins and healthy fats and have loads of energy.

Edited by robblok

Sure but even in ketosis you need to burn more as you take in. Ketosis is no magic bullet the same rules apply, it can be useful for people who are insulin resistant. I have tried it all, and believe me there is no magic diet and a balanced diet with carbs (complex ones) is good too.

Most people I know (there are probably exceptions) find reaching and staying in ketosis a problem as it does affect your mental abilities (at first you get used to it later and you keep urinating ect) Its just not for everyone.

I did a few times a 1 day fast (completely no food) and then the next day normal food. It was hard but doable but not really something I like. I prefer to eat healthy with vegetables and fruits and some carbs and proteins and healthy fats and have loads of energy.

It looks like you did it wrong.

It is the opposite with the ketosis diet(and with fasting) your mind will be super clear in a constant nirvana-like state.

I think you are confusing HighFat which is used to cure Parkinson's with LCHF diet which is basically what you said "vegetables and fruits and some carbs and proteins and healthy fats and have loads of energy."

I bet if you buy glucometer and ketometer it will show you that you are in ketosis.

Edited by Edgehog net

Man, why make things so complicated? Just fast one day per week and be done with it, you gotta get results.

I dont care about the quacks and their metabolism mumbo jumbo. The best shape i was in was when i was used to eating only eat one main meal a day.

I must admit I skipped a few posts here. Just a quick thought and apologies if mentioned already. Calories and nutrition intake could be easily monitored with a phone app. There are many around that would be suitable, I am sure.

Other than that, a good friend does once or twice a year fasting for a week. He swears it give him energy and feels really good. Apparently the first two days are very hard though...

I must admit I skipped a few posts here. Just a quick thought and apologies if mentioned already. Calories and nutrition intake could be easily monitored with a phone app. There are many around that would be suitable, I am sure.

Other than that, a good friend does once or twice a year fasting for a week. He swears it give him energy and feels really good. Apparently the first two days are very hard though...

while such apps are surely helpful, people diet since centuries by just eating less. Someone who isn't willing to do that, can't be helped with a phone app. Someone who is willing to do it, will be able to do it without the app....but it might be a helpful add.

The difference with ketogenic dieting is that you're fuelling your resting metabolic rate off stored /dietary fats instead of glycogen. Considering an average RMR sits around 2000kcals per day it's a much more effective way to burn fat than trying to increase your caloric expenditure through exercise while reducing your caloric intake with diet.

my life has been one big diet...

also living in ''Thailand'' where 90 percent of the ''Thais'' are really slim and narrow, but yet eat like horses.. not fair is it..

for ''European Standards' i am classed as slim, but for sure, not here..

I avoid ''Thai'' food, as most is heavily salted,sugared,syrup,carnation milk, the list is endless..

The difference with ketogenic dieting is that you're fuelling your resting metabolic rate off stored /dietary fats instead of glycogen. Considering an average RMR sits around 2000kcals per day it's a much more effective way to burn fat than trying to increase your caloric expenditure through exercise while reducing your caloric intake with diet.

Your forgetting that your intake of proteins and fats have to be used first if they are not used then fat is stored as tat. It really does not matter that much.

my life has been one big diet...

also living in ''Thailand'' where 90 percent of the ''Thais'' are really slim and narrow, but yet eat like horses.. not fair is it..

for ''European Standards' i am classed as slim, but for sure, not here..

I avoid ''Thai'' food, as most is heavily salted,sugared,syrup,carnation milk, the list is endless..

Often they don't eat as much as it looks like.....Som Tam for example has very little calories.....Others who eat Burger look like they eat burger.....

Yeah but as long as you aren't going crazy with your dietary fat intake there'll still be a big caloric deficit especially if you're exercising as well.

yes it makes you less hungry....you eat some fried eggs with cheese and feel full the next 5 or more hours.

you eat 30% less calories in bread with jam and you are hungry again 1.5 hours and eat some choco.....or 2 glass of coke.

So with the fat food, you feel like you eat a lot, but in fact you eat less.

Good source on fasting is "Grain Brain" by Dr. Perlmutter. He is a neurologist and he is curing migraines, autism and diabetes by changing the diet.

The book is easy to read finished it in one day while on a visa run smile.png

curing migraines I believe, but for curing autism and diabetes with a diet he deserves the noble price facepalm.gif

Good source on fasting is "Grain Brain" by Dr. Perlmutter. He is a neurologist and he is curing migraines, autism and diabetes by changing the diet.

The book is easy to read finished it in one day while on a visa run smile.png

Dr Perlmutter is doing great work with neurodegenerative diseases. He's getting massive resistance from proponents of the Standard American Diet but I've no doubt he's going to come out on the right side of history.