New rules about Red plates on motor Bike and Car.

nasa123

Nothing new about the 1 month, has been the law already for a long time.

And white plates are available on the spot, but the dealer has to go to the DLT and pay the taxes on the sale of the car. That's why dealers like to postpone the issuance of white plates, nothing to do (anymore) with availability.

I bought my vehice new from a Toyota dealership. I got my tags in less than two weeks when I bought my new vehicle.

I also think some folks just like riding around with red tags to show-off as long as they can...hey, look at me I have a new vehicle...I must be doing good. And then of course you have those who want to wait forever for an auspicious number.

Experiences vary as much as mileage, obviously.

I bought a new car from a dealer as well with all the necessary papers including an address verification statement from my local immigration. After some weeks passed, we got a call from the dealer notifying us that my address verification statement was invalid due to expiration of the 30 days validity written on it.

I told them I gave them the paper when it was valid and if they failed to deliver it to the license office in time that was their problem and not mine. I was wrong. As it turned out yes they sat on the paper for a while but it didn't matter. The local license office lady said it takes at least 45 days to process a white plate request.

Now here's the catch. I needed an address verification statement in order to buy the car but as it happens I would need another to get the permanent (white) plates for it along with the blue/green (?) book. All the while the address verification statement from my local immigration needed to be valid.

So it took two address verification statements from my local immigration to complete the process at 2 X 500 THB donation. We asked the boss at immigration about her putting a 60 day validity on any future statement and she said she'll never make one good for over 30 days.

I'll just figure on the same process next time I buy a car. Knowing what's in store, I won't feel the same level of annoyance as I did last time.

I buy my auction number directly at the transport office with my tourist visa less than 3 to 2 week i can't rem and hand over the document to the dealer and now i get the number plate and blue book just after 1 month of car purchase.

From #1

New rules about red plates max 1 month or 3,000 km max, You get fined 10,000 Bath if you not follow the new rules

The oldest threads I found about "1 month or 3,000 km max, " are from 2005 just not mentioning the 10000 Baht.

When has Thaivisa been founded? biggrin.png

The real news would be:

Thailand traffic laws now applied and enforced!

or:

Foreigners now getting to know Thai traffic laws in depth!

Edited by KhunBENQ

Nothing new about the 1 month, has been the law already for a long time.

And white plates are available on the spot, but the dealer has to go to the DLT and pay the taxes on the sale of the car. That's why dealers like to postpone the issuance of white plates, nothing to do (anymore) with availability.

I bought my vehice new from a Toyota dealership. I got my tags in less than two weeks when I bought my new vehicle.

I also think some folks just like riding around with red tags to show-off as long as they can...hey, look at me I have a new vehicle...I must be doing good. And then of course you have those who want to wait forever for an auspicious number.

Experiences vary as much as mileage, obviously.

I bought a new car from a dealer as well with all the necessary papers including an address verification statement from my local immigration. After some weeks passed, we got a call from the dealer notifying us that my address verification statement was invalid due to expiration of the 30 days validity written on it.

I told them I gave them the paper when it was valid and if they failed to deliver it to the license office in time that was their problem and not mine. I was wrong. As it turned out yes they sat on the paper for a while but it didn't matter. The local license office lady said it takes at least 45 days to process a white plate request.

Now here's the catch. I needed an address verification statement in order to buy the car but as it happens I would need another to get the permanent (white) plates for it along with the blue/green (?) book. All the while the address verification statement from my local immigration needed to be valid.

So it took two address verification statements from my local immigration to complete the process at 2 X 500 THB donation. We asked the boss at immigration about her putting a 60 day validity on any future statement and she said she'll never make one good for over 30 days.

I'll just figure on the same process next time I buy a car. Knowing what's in store, I won't feel the same level of annoyance as I did last time.

I had (and still have) a Yellow Book when buying my car which serves as address verification....that may have streamlined the process for me. Knock on wood (my head), but I've never-ever been asked for any address verification certificate for any account opening, license plate, drivers license, immigration issue, etc., because I've always showed them my Yellow Book which makes folks happy regarding my address in Thailand. And when first getting here and buying my vehicle during the first two weeks being here, the salesman at the Toyota dealership helped in getting the Yellow Book. Nice guy....was a monk for about a dozen years ...then decided to get married/raise a family, left the monk-hood, and still works at the Toyota dealership to this day.

The main advantage of red plates is that you don't have to pay road tax. I waited 3 months for my license plate and it didn't bother me at all. I know someone who had it for more than 9 months for exactly this reason. Never got fined.

The main advantage of red plates is that you don't have to pay road tax. I waited 3 months for my license plate and it didn't bother me at all. I know someone who had it for more than 9 months for exactly this reason. Never got fined.

Sorry wrong, try again.

Sorry wrong, try again.

How is it wrong ?

On my wifes car the road tax was not paid until 2 months after she purchased it (on finance). This was only recently realised due to a nasty phone call from the finance company a month ago asking why the insurance has not been renewed..... 100% my fault as I (wrongly and without actually looking at the paperwork) assumed it would be due when the road tax is due next month.

From memory her white plates arrived about 2 months after purchase...... hmmm the road tax is due about 2 months after the insurance.

amusingly the car dealer never did ask for the red plates back (yeah yeah I know they have my deposit on them), I figure they might come in handy one day.

Sorry wrong, try again.

How is it wrong ?

On my wifes car the road tax was not paid until 2 months after she purchased it (on finance). This was only recently realised due to a nasty phone call from the finance company a month ago asking why the insurance has not been renewed..... 100% my fault as I (wrongly and without actually looking at the paperwork) assumed it would be due when the road tax is due next month.

From memory her white plates arrived about 2 months after purchase...... hmmm the road tax is due about 2 months after the insurance.

amusingly the car dealer never did ask for the red plates back (yeah yeah I know they have my deposit on them), I figure they might come in handy one day.

Whilst you correctly point out that the renewal date for road tax comes 12 months after you get the white plates, you are actually paying road tax in the interim via the dealer. The dealer has to pay for the red (or trade) plates and they have to be renewed, just like normal road tax. They then pass this fee on to the customer either directly, as in not returning the full deposit, or indirectly within the full invoice.

I would suggest that the red plates you have retained, may have already expired.

The new rules for Red Plates in the future is.... there won't be any, Dealers will have to deliver vehicles with the correct permanent Plate.

So a delay in delivery because the plate is not issued until the book is done.

Great.

Another "new traffic law" thread biggrin.png

To quote myself from a parallel thread:

-------------------------------

"New traffic laws", just had a good laugh when stumbling upon two TV threads from 2010 and 2013.

New Laws For Red Plates Introduced from 2010

Red licence plate restrictions from 2013

You can guess what is written there about carrying red plates for more than 30 days cheesy.gif cheesy.gif cheesy.gif

--------------------------------

Don't want to stress you and what was written in 2010 and 2013:

30 days max, 10000 Baht after that biggrin.png

I don't think anyone driving in Thailand ever needs to be stressed about the enforcement, or should I say lack of enforcement of any traffic laws. This is one of the few countries left where you can drive any way you wish, with few legal consequences.

However, one wonders whoever wrote this list of new traffic rules ever thought about the laws of "cause and effect". How is it that having a red plate on a car for a long period of time, which in no way can cause an accident be subject to a 10,000 Baht fine, but any number of traffic infringements attract only a paltry 400-500 Baht fine, including not wearing a helmet or riding a motorcycle/scooter on the footpath? I notice how driving the wrong way down a road was not mentioned, so as long as you don't drive on a footpath, which probably doesn't have any pedestrians on it anyway is OK, even if you nearly have a head on collision with a vehicle travelling in the correct direction? It seems that the most likely causes of accidents are fined the lowest amounts. Thai logic?

Edit: Just noticed that driving the wrong direction is also subject to a fine, but just 500 Baht? Come on...really?

Edited by Tomtomtom69

• 5 months later...

I have a month old new car (red plates) bought on HP in Jomtien. (Chonburi Province)

It has already 5000+ kms. I would like to go to Rayong.

Maybe I am already at fault for exceeding 3000 km wherever I go .

Am I facing the prospect of Baht10,000 fine please ?

Edited by Robbieseal