Truck wipes out motorists, shopfronts in Patong

webfact

Truck wipes out motorists, shopfronts in Patong
Eakkapop Thongtub

1435909514_1-org.jpg
The overturned after crashing into houses and shopfronts in Patong. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- One woman was seriously injured and three other people suffered minor injuries when a six-wheeled fully loaded with salt wiped out a row of shop and house fronts in Patong today (July 3).

The truck also slammed into the back of Honda car.

The driver of the truck, Kijchan Kijpitak, 49, from Samut Songkhram, told police that brakes on his vehicle failed as he was descending Patong Hill.

Police and rescue workers were quickly at the scene.

The injured have been taken to Patong Hospital. One woman who swerved to avoid the runaway truck sustained serious head njuries after she crashed into a roadside power pole.

Police have yet to release more details about the accident or the survivors.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/truck-wipes-out-motorists-shopfronts-in-patong-53040.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-07-03

I start to suspect they are using scooter brakes on the trucks and buses judging by the rate of brake failure here in Thailand. I mean what else could it be? Surely not the drivers fault.

I was told by a Thai that it is bad driving to change gears often, because it is wearing down the gearbox. facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

And using indicators drains the battery.

And using the mirrors is bad luck.

And having a bottle of Lao Kao makes you a better driver.

And ????

I was told by a Thai that it is bad driving to change gears often, because it is wearing down the gearbox. facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

Tell such a fool it is a wise practice to move the car in the 4th gear from a stationary position. No need to switch gears at all.

I was told by a Thai that it is bad driving to change gears often, because it is wearing down the gearbox. facepalm.gif:facepalm:facepalm.gif

And using indicators drains the battery.

And using the mirrors is bad luck.

And having a bottle of Lao Kao makes you a better driver.

And ????

Using lights except when it is pitch black (and often not even then)drains the battery even more.

its a pity they don't have MOTS in Thailand it would certainly keep the accident rate down brake failures seem to be on the increase unless something is done these type of accidents will continue .

They're crappy drivers in Thailand.......not some...all of them...including my lovely wife!

YEP

My wife is the same. Drives the car through the gate and makes me park it. If she wants to go out I have to reverse the car out and point it in the right direction. Bloody hopeless. Still she has a DP so that is ok.

They're crappy drivers in Thailand.......not some...all of them...including my lovely wife!

YEP

My wife is the same. Drives the car through the gate and makes me park it. If she wants to go out I have to reverse the car out and point it in the right direction. Bloody hopeless. Still she has a DP so that is ok.

Yes know what you mean. I love these queues into empty car parkes,all caused through waiting for people to park, They cant reverse They cant park without some twxt helping them with a fxxxxxx whistle.

They cant Drive

Apparently the lady on the motorbike who was struck from behind by the truck has died in hospital.

a

So so sad that she has died....

Life is cheap here and we are reminded each day....

No one seems to batter an eyelid with the Carnage,...

YEP

Good of you to help her park the car - I do it too for my wife.

I thought a DP was something else not related to driving ... whistling.gif Sorry mate, couldnt resist ...

RIP to the poor lady

Edited by Johnny S

YEP

Yes know what you mean. I love these queues into empty car parkes,all caused through waiting for people to park, They cant reverse They cant park without some twxt helping them with a fxxxxxx whistle.

They cant Drive

Oh and when you drive in to a gas station. No one else there , you know which pump you need then someone steps out of no where blowing a blasted whistle and much arm waving. for gawds sake I came in for 91 gasahol not to join in a game of footban.

All of these brake related accidents are down to driver education.

A diesel truck with an operational gearbox should be able to descend Patong Hill even without brakes. Its safe to assume it had a working gearbox since it got up the hill. The brakes nmost likely failed because the driver was riding them most of the way down heating them up causing brake fade.

Use a low gear, let the engine do the braking.

I stsrted driving when I was 16 (scooter) and have driven over a million kilometers since then in just about every road going vehicle you can think of, From a mini up to a 32 ton fire engine, and not once did I have 'brake failure'.

When air brakes fail ... the brakes go on ... In other words, the air holds the brakes off. Brakes can overheat, but it's not a common problem for a professional driver, especially on such a small hill. Brake linings can wear out, but not all at the same time, especially with modern maintenance schedules.

Brake failure ..... no I don't think so, more likely failure to maintain or failure of the driver to report the need for maintenance.

Any HGV mechanic would be able to identify the cause of the problem quite quickly. Surely no one will take the word of the driver as the whole truth because, regrettably now, the charges for the event could include manslaughter.