Triumph Tiger XCx

Bung

Yeah! Was going to do the MHS loop tmr but looks like a lot of rain coming plus i got family visiting next week, then im off to work, plus im a bit unwell.....always something.....winters looking good though!

Isaan to visit mates, Laos, all that northern thailand has to offer

Will be showing my brother around some local hill roads next week, probably on the tiger and my crf 250l so we can go into some of the hmong villages but i want to take the thruxton on some rides as well. My brother has a ktm 1190 adventure in australia so he is keen!

^A colleague has just came back from the Loop on his V-Strom and enjoyed it. Sent a few pics and it looks great! Only thing he complained about was being ripped off by the locals. I've yet to go myself as I just don't get the time for a week off.

I recommend Ratchaburi, Suan Pueng and Khao Krajom. Be great on the Triumph. Some very steep rubble climbs on the way up and the roads to it are great! We camped the night and the ride from their to Kanchanaburi has some great roads too.

When your sat on the bike you don't really get a sense for how steep some places are with the loose rocks etc. at 3:26 it gives you an idea. Mate took it steady but did it with his Dunlop road tires. He's since changed to a more suitable tire having slipped on the way down at 14:40. Trying to convince him to stand more on this type of terrain.

I have a feeling the Triumph might be my next bike over the KX450F!

Edited by BBJ

I do love the thought of doing rides like that!

Not trying to sound smug but watching the video it is so much better to have a bit more pace on, stand up, have your bars set so they are comfortable while standing and gun it a bit. You will get along much more easier up hills than slipping the clutch and paddling your feet. You need to be able to make quick calls on what line to take though but even if its wrong if you have some speed on you can ride over the wrong line.

Tryingbto decide whether to fit the heidenau k60 scout tyres yet or not. They get very good reviews for on road grip and wet weather, are very long lasting and of course good off road. Ill probably wait until after i het back from work in November and just concentrate on road riding now to get used to the bike.post-22617-0-15033900-1436495877_thumb.j

I thought the kx450F was a mx bike? You wont be riding that on the road and being an mx will have a busy maintenance schedule. 15-20 hour oil changes, 30 hour valve clearance checks (with shims!) And you wont get much more than 100 hours out of a piston. Unless you're planning mx then i wouldnt get one for trail riding. Ktm exc range is much better, has a head light and brake light and screw type valve adjustments (much easier to do yourself!) I had a 450exc before.

Anyway, looks like the rains holding off so im going for a ride!

I thought the kx450F was a mx bike? You wont be riding that on the road and being an mx will have a busy maintenance schedule. 15-20 hour oil changes, 30 hour valve clearance checks (with shims!) And you wont get much more than 100 hours out of a piston. Unless you're planning mx then i wouldnt get one for trail riding. Ktm exc range is much better, has a head light and brake light and screw type valve adjustments (much easier to do yourself!) I had a 450exc before.

Anyway, looks like the rains holding off so im going for a ride!

I'm an 120kph fan standing on the pegs, bars already raised, bash plate etc, but this was my mates first time on terrain like this with near slicks, so I couldn't blast off without him. I was also a test rider for the BMW GS 800 for a recent review on a Thai blog (that does sound smug)

As for your tires, great choice. Aseanamoto is the dealer. They are presently closed with the BMW GS Trophy race going on.

As for the KX idea I was thinking of keeping off the road completely as I do a lot of commuting and had plenty of near misses. Still haven't made my mind up.

120kph 5:06

Edited by BBJ

I'm an 120kph fan standing on the pegs, bars already raised, bash plate etc, but this was my mates first time on terrain like this with near slicks, so I couldn't blast off without him. I was also a test rider for the BMW GS 800 for a recent review on a Thai blog (that does sound smug)

As for your tires, great choice. Aseanamoto is the dealer. They are presently closed with the BMW GS Trophy race going on.

As for the KX idea I was thinking of keeping off the road completely as I do a lot of commuting and had plenty of near misses. Still haven't made my mind up.

120kph 5:06

Very cool video man, very nicely filmed.

Are you really gonna trash a 575K baht Tiger XCx like that? It gonna cost a lot of money in case of a crash, I am pretty sure.

A friend of mine does a lot of off-roading on a Honda moto cross bike that also needs constant attention and not road legal so he ferry it around on his pick-up truck but he seems to have a lot of fun with it and do all his maintenance himself in his well stocked workshop at his house(he have stocked; pistons, rings and oil and filters and so on). He also do off-road biking (pedal).

Well up to you guys, I think I will stick to tarmac, he-he, but I did ride on Fraser Island in 1998(Australia) on a Kawa klr650 and also learned to stand on the pegs in that deep sand and keep the speed/revs up or you are not going anywhere.

BBJ , is the KX 450 F ( American Import ) available with a "real" greenbook . Exactly what i want . Thanks . Edit , Sorry BUNG , great bike ! thumbsup.gif

Yes, there is only one left in Bangkok. US import with book. 375k If I remember.

Motoaholic at Rama 5 have it.

One of those things that comes with the territory I guess. I like adventure riding so I've got to expect to come off at some point. I don't know any decent adventure rider or off road rider that has never fallen. When you expect it you're prepared. The falls (except the recent tire issue in another thread) have been down to the wrong tire choice. I took on Khao Krajom in the rain with Pirelli Scorpions downhill and they let go. Once I forgot to switch my ABS off (I modified it) down a steep decline and couldn't stop the bike so I dropped it. No damage to me or the bike. Hand guards took the damage which cost 5k to replace.

Advantage with the Triumph is the setting for various terrains and the new suspension. Although it is a tall bike it is very well balance making it easy to ride on slow sections.

When I tested the GS 800 I felt good, but not great. Scratched that off my list already!

Edited by BBJ

• 4 months later...

Stuck at work and reminiscing about my xcx sitting in my shed i consoled myself by going shopping

I bought some rox risers

post-22617-0-86203100-1447519409_thumb.j

I couldnt quite get as comfortable as i wanted and needed more height when standing anyway.

The stadard hand guards are just plasti affairs. I like these from sw motech. Proper.

post-22617-0-99995300-1447519563_thumb.j

I'll buy these once home as panda rider in bkk has them and i get 10% discount.

Hanging out to get

• 2 weeks later...

Stuck at work and reminiscing about my xcx sitting in my shed i consoled myself by going shopping

I bought some rox risers

attachicon.gifdownload.jpg

I couldnt quite get as comfortable as i wanted and needed more height when standing anyway.

The stadard hand guards are just plasti affairs. I like these from sw motech. Proper.

attachicon.gifswmotech_kobra_handguard_kit_zoom.jpg

I'll buy these once home as panda rider in bkk has them and i get 10% discount.

Hanging out to get

Yeah, I have the SW Cobra guards on my Versys with flashlight and The Rox already. I had the vibe damping ones originally but they felt strange. Fair play to shop as the changed to the ones in your picture.