Iranian tourist drowns off Patong after ignoring no-swimming red flags

Lite Beer

Iranian tourist drowns off Patong after ignoring no-swimming red flags
Eakkapop Thongtub

1436059120_1.jpg

Photo: Phuket Warning Friends Line Group

PHUKET: A 30-year-old Iranian national was pronounced dead yesterday evening (July 4) while be transported to Patong Hospital, after his unconscious body was retrieved from rough waters in Patong Bay.

Witnesses said that the drowning victim Mr Hasan Fhakhr was among a group of carefree tourists who ignored red flags posted on the beach, near Bangla Road, and opted on swimming amongst two-meter waves.

One of those waves honed in on the group of tourists beforing pulling Mr Hasan Fhakhr further out into the bay.

By the time he could be retrieved, he was already unconscious. Standersby and lifeguards attempted to revive the victim with CPR while waiting for emergency transport, which arrived moments later.

But, finally all efforts were to no avail as the victim was finally pronounced dead en route to hospital. An autopsy is being conducted while authorities attempt to notify the Iranian Embassy.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/iranian-tourist-drowns-off-patong-after-ignoring-no-swimming-red-flags-53066.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-07-05

The last time I drove along the beachfront in Patong not a single lifeguard was manning one of the towers so when they just huddle around at ground level, right at the back of the beach, then their view is restricted.

The red flags are there for a reason.

Yeah, to conveniently absolve the life-guards of any accusations of inattentiveness whenever somebody drowns on a stretch of beach they are supposed to be monitoring.

Why can't I see a single lifeguard in the photo? Maybe taking the picture?

Updating his status page to "lol, y'll nvr guess wht jst happ! brb!!"

annoyed.gif

The sea at Phuket drops of very deep water quickly and there is a strong upwelling making it very dangerous for swimming during windy conditions. Its easy to get pulle dout to sea.

More to do with quickly shifting sand bottoms, but you are correct rhinoboy, the undercurrent can get very nasty. Was in the water at Nai Harn yesterday and spoke to the lifeguards about the pull, it was wicked. Advised them not to let non-water people get past waist deep.

RIP to the Iranian guy, condolences to family and friends, horrible accident.

Reason for edit:typing flounder!

Edited by grumpyoldman

im always amazed that beach education isn't more far spread, specially when so many people who live in non-beach areas holiday at the beach and put themselves in really bad positions.

i spent most of my life growing up in a surf town and the amount of times i had to explain what a rip was to a tourist visiting blew me mind. there needs to be much better awareness.

It never ceases to amaze me, the number of people who ignore the red flags, they are spaced out every 100yds along the beach, but so many people ignore them. They are actually there for good reason at Patong.

As far as lifeguards are concerned, I didn't think they are around in low season .

im always amazed that beach education isn't more far spread, specially when so many people who live in non-beach areas holiday at the beach and put themselves in really bad positions.

i spent most of my life growing up in a surf town and the amount of times i had to explain what a rip was to a tourist visiting blew me mind. there needs to be much better awareness.

Yeah mate agree....Iran is well known for its Iron Man series competitions.

Red flags may not mean the same to all nationalities. Perhaps there should be focus at the hotel/resort where the tourists are staying on beach/water safety.

Not that I am any expert in water sports but I did live within a mile of the ocean while my neighborhood backed up to a river, the Wando River. In South Carolina we did not use the Red Flag danger symbol. We did however have large signs that warned of dangerous currents and do not swim areas especially at the mouth of the river meeting the ocean.

I have been to several beaches in Thailand and never seen the red flags. Therefore I am not sure I would have known the Universal Danger Sign therefore maybe an explanation for such should be posted in several languages. I have been caught in many rip tides while living at the beach and they are very manageable but dangerous to an unsuspecting beach goer that rarely swims in the ocean. The Persian Gulf is void of rip currents in most of my experiences living in KSA, Iraq and UAE.

RIP.

Not that I am any expert in water sports but I did live within a mile of the ocean while my neighborhood backed up to a river, the Wando River. In South Carolina we did not use the Red Flag danger symbol. We did however have large signs that warned of dangerous currents and do not swim areas especially at the mouth of the river meeting the ocean.

I have been to several beaches in Thailand and never seen the red flags. Therefore I am not sure I would have known the Universal Danger Sign therefore maybe an explanation for such should be posted in several languages. I have been caught in many rip tides while living at the beach and they are very manageable but dangerous to an unsuspecting beach goer that rarely swims in the ocean. The Persian Gulf is void of rip currents in most of my experiences living in KSA, Iraq and UAE.

RIP.

There are big warning signs in many languages.

Them farang doing CPR gonna get busted now for working without a work permit.

I hope your other posts on TV are of higher quality than this one.

nah mate…they are actually far worse.

Yes, the off topic one liners have not gone unnoticed ph34r.png