Thailand Live Friday 11 October 2024

2. 173

Why do retirees marry in Thailand ?

3. 73

Foreign Tour Operators Flood Phuket, Taking Jobs from Locals

4. 2

Afghan Man charged with Election day terror plot

5. 1

Double-Ten Retailer Promotions: 10-10 is a Chinese Holiday. So, why is this big DEAL here?

6. 0

93-Year-Old Woman Crawls into Sakae Krang River & is Missing While Daughter Sleeps

7. 25

Pattaya Police Raid Poker Gambling Ring, Arrest 9 Foreign Players

8. 25

9. 2

Former Aussie cop’s epic run across Thailand for tsunami victims

10. 7

Thailand triumphs in UN Human Rights council bid

11. 1

Donald Trump’s New Tax Promise: Eliminating Income Taxes for Americans Abroad

12. 2

Former Aussie cop’s epic run across Thailand for tsunami victims

13. 25

New draft law spells doom for press freedom, Thai media group says

webfact

Spells doom or inculcates professional ethics?

I have to go with doom. How this could "inculcate" (a bit of a bombastic word blast) and Not be abused as a tool for utter control?

Three guesses, and the first two don't count.

Those red channels were pure hate speech, the dems could not even canvas red area's and got run of by threats of violence. Sorry but I don't see those red channels as a good thing for Thailand. Normal news sure.. but brainwashing like that is part of the reason why there is such a big divide.

you must be fluent in Thai which i am not or do you just believe what the yellow haters tell you they say?

I don't like much of what they say (that I have seen translated) as much as I don't like much of what the yellow channels say but I believe they have the right to say it in a free democracy and both sides bile should be countered with reasoned DEBATE not by one side having the GUNS

Same as you i seen translated parts of it.. and it was real bad.. plus the fact that (confirmed) that the democrats could not even campaign good in red area's because of violence give me a good idea what is going on.

Libel laws are all you need for the media. Heck, the existing defamation laws pretty much scare the hell out of the media already. Why more laws?

As long as the media checks their facts and has corroboration of the the facts in their stories then they should be able to publish. If not, then they will be sued in court. It's that simple. What is going on here is exactly what the media groups claim. The government is trying to put them completely under their control. It's a logical step for a government that has been heading in this direction consistently and steadily from the beginning of the coup.

Check out the defamation laws in Thailand. It does not matter whether what you publish is true and confirmed. If a newspaper discovered, say, that a senior politician was pimping his Mia Noi in Patong and confirmed it in a dozen ways, they would cause him loss of face and be guilty of defamation.

In most countries there are at least some restrictions on what can be printed or aired. Self-regulation is an oxymoron and many countries have media watchdogs to allow wronged civilians, who cannot afford to take on media groups, to voice complaints and have enough teeth to bring wrongdoers to book.

Here in Thailand there has never been a totally free media as the defamation & LM laws prevent naming names & quoting accused individuals, respectively.

Yes, Thailand certainly does need a media watchdog but it needs to be separated fully from media organisations & politicians but I'm very doubtful that the NBTC is the right body to do it.

Freedom of speech, freedom of the press, freedom of privacy, big brother is watching you! Isn't this happening all over the world these days. If you watch CNN news it's pro U.S and anti China. Newspapers in the U.K are bias to one political party or the other. In Russia to print anti Putin articles is risking a court case. Even big corperate companies have control of the media. The use of watching what you do on the internet has been around for many years and is nothing new. This is the world we live in now, if you think Thailand is heavy handed on freedom, take a look at the patriot act in the U.S.A.

You forgot Singapore. No press freedom whatsoever

Spells doom, unless you think that state oversight of media content is a step forward. Never mind. Someone will be along soon to state that "The Thais are not ready for a free press"!

Of course a free press is important, but some safeguards are needed too. Those red TV and radio stations that indoctrinate people with lies are not good for the country. Rabble rousing like that should be closely examined and punished as its not based on facts and just divides the country. (yellow variant included)

If you are talking about the normal press.. then I 100% agree with you they should never be under state control even more so defamation laws should be removed so the press can do their job better. So I actually agree with you in general.

I know that in my country if you start broadcasting racist propaganda you will be shut down quite quickly and last time I checked there was no military government in the Netherlands but there was some state oversight.

As long as the defamation law exists there is the mere semblance of a free press. I find it funny how they even dare to claim a free press in Thailand at the best of times. Today, you are pro junta or subject to a lite re-education.

Spells doom, unless you think that state oversight of media content is a step forward. Never mind. Someone will be along soon to state that "The Thais are not ready for a free press"!

Of course a free press is important, but some safeguards are needed too. Those red TV and radio stations that indoctrinate people with lies are not good for the country. Rabble rousing like that should be closely examined and punished as its not based on facts and just divides the country. (yellow variant included)

If you are talking about the normal press.. then I 100% agree with you they should never be under state control even more so defamation laws should be removed so the press can do their job better. So I actually agree with you in general.

I know that in my country if you start broadcasting racist propaganda you will be shut down quite quickly and last time I checked there was no military government in the Netherlands but there was some state oversight.

So let a free and fair judiciary take care of media outlets that break the law. In the countries where we come from that is more than enough and should be in Thailand too.

Que the cheerleaders.....

I don't care how its regulated.. by this board or a judiciary but some rules should apply to the media. You just can't broadcast anything you want.

With everyone running around claiming unity, peace, harmony and happiness, I am amazed anyone thinks that there is a free press now. Just see their definition of hate speech. Basically anything criticising anythung the junta doesn't like.

You're so naive. Thai press has never been free. Everything is for sale. Whatever you see on print or on TV has been paid for by an interest group or an other.

Freedom of press means everybody is allowed to fork out for positive coverage. Free market, highest bidder win.

The new law means Thai journalists can't be bought no more. Which Thai journalists translate as they now have to get by with their basic salary. Easy to undestand why they are so unhappy.

You're so naive. Thai press has never been free. Everything is for sale. Whatever you see on print or on TV has been paid for by an interest group or an other.

Freedom of press means everybody is allowed to fork out for positive coverage. Free market, highest bidder win.

The new law means Thai journalists can't be bought no more. Which Thai journalists translate as they now have to get by with their basic salary. Easy to undestand why they are so unhappy.

The new law doesn't prevent journalists from being bought, it simply gives the government another whip with which to punish journalists and news organizations that displease the government.

The media, if held accountable for their irresponsible reporting would go along way in curbing any programs that damage the country. Peace TV was a great example of why the system should not need to rely on govt control. Let the broadcaster break the law first instead of controlling them so no law is broken. A responsible broadcaster will adhere to the law and respect it.

A great example of no respect to the law however is Peace War TV. No one needs to see hatred or promotion of division by terrorist supporters spewed over the air waves. On Q&A in Australia a terrorist was given air time who tried to create division and raised hatred levels. Govt reaction? They asked for an independent inquiry of the show and has banned its front benches from being on the show! Q&A admitted they made an "error of judgement" and subsequently I am sure the show will continue. If Q&A did it again they would be banned no doubt, but the key is they will respect the law. Peace TV never did and never will because of the people running it.

Was the newspaper held responsible for reporting that Prayut was sending 10 billion baht overseas without asking for sources or evidence? As well as persecuting the desperate woman that wanted to destabilize the peace and stability in Thailand they should have persecuted the newspaper.

Don't control the media;. Leave them to be self censoring and if they abuse the law then hold them accountable. This again shows the govt have no faith in the media or no back bone as they do back flips on vile corrosive TV programs. Don't ban Peace TV then let them back on the air. Don't ban unregistered fishing vessels then give them a second chance. Don't let corruption flourish then grant amnesty.

Let them break the law and then hold them accountable.

Funnily enough when the Junta did this and Peace TV was given a warning (Like Q&A in Australia) and then taken off the air (Which may happen in Australia) the Junta were criticized for being undemocratic. Now they are taking this approach it is the same reaction.

Can't win if you do and can't win if you don't.

Edited by djjamie