Starting my personal website

ev1lchris

Looks horrible on very high resolution monitors.

What is the issue?

Your content is in a fixed sized frame, so on high res monitors you end up with the content in a small portion of the screen with most of the screen black.

Also I feel the actual content area is too small to comfortably read (requires a lot of scrolling).

You should make it dynamically size with the screen size (i.e. use % sizes instead of px).

This is hopefully constructive advice, not an attack but PLEASE don't incorporate Flash videos! Flash is a minefield of very nasty stuff and will soon be obsolete.

Search around for the myriad problems with it and start as you should be going on and use HTML5. Here's just one Flash issue http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/08/hacking_teamderived_0day_is_now_in_the_wild/

And i agree with Wprime's comments above.

Having said that - keep trying - that's how we all learn clap2.gif

Edited by VBF

Alright, I have revised the front page.

I still need to go through the other pages and replace the tables with divs.

It still loads slow and that is bugging me.

Better but there's still a Flash video there under "call me" However when I allow the plugin to run it says "Movie not loaded" Same scenario on other sites (BBC for example) works as expected.

Better but there's still a Flash video there under "call me" However when I allow the plugin to run it says "Movie not loaded" Same scenario on other sites (BBC for example) works as expected.

That's my blog. I'll see if I can do something about it.

That's my blog. I'll see if I can do something about it.

Better! By the way (and this is rather pedantic), I think Resume should be Résumé with the accents.

AND - thinking about privacy - do you think it's wise to have your personal phone number and email address on your Résumé page?

A "Contact Me" link with an aliased email might be better (or set up a new account)

That's a special number. That Yahoo account is already overrun with spam.

I'll probably replace that whole page with something else. For now it's a placeholder.

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Liking to do it by hand is one thing but little point letting that keep your site in the 1990s.

2 pages state you code PHP so why arent you using it?

Throw the site on a cms (wordpress good choice) and build your own theme from scratch. Instantly 100x the potential.

Learn to make the site responsive and mobile (plus high res) friendly. Another challenge to learn from.

Had a cartoony image on the home page...why isnt that animated using css3, javascript and html5?

Lots of opportunities to expand and improve...coding a static html site in these days is just like building sites with notepad (plain, no ++). Yes every professional should be able to do it, but none in their right mind would anymore, since time saved on the basics can be better spent on the killer features.

Can you somehow delineate/decorate your menu bar? It took me a while to realize that "Who resume graphics video projects" was not some cryptic question, but a bar of five (actually four, but soon to be five?) menu links.