Countdown begins on Phuket’s new B1.1bn underpasses

webfact

Countdown begins on Phuket’s new B1.1bn underpasses
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1438085738_1-org.jpg
The contract has been signed, but the final plans for the Chalong Underpass have yet to be completed. Image: Highways Department

PHUKET: -- The construction contracts have been signed and the two contractors have 780 days from today (July 28) to complete their respective underpasses – at the Bang Khu Intersection and under Chalong Circle – but the plans have yet to be finalised, The Phuket News has learned.

“The contracts to complete the construction began today – giving contractors 780 days each to complete an underpass at Bang Khu and another one under Chalong Circle,” Samak Lueduanghad, Director of the Highways Department Phuket office, told The Phuket News this morning.

“But no exact date has been set yet for actual construction to begin on either project.”

The contracts were signed in Bangkok yesterday (July 27), Mr Samak confirmed.

“Italian-Thai Development PCL, the same company that built the Darasamuth underpass, will build the underpass at Bang Khu, and Civil Engineering Co Ltd will take care of the Chalong tunnel,” he said.

The total budgeted cost of the two underpasses will exceed a billion baht, Mr Samak confirmed.

“The Bang Khu underpass has been set a budget of B600 million and the tunnel under the Chalong Circle has been budgeted at B550mn,” he said.

However, plans for both projects have yet to be finalised as final touches are still needed to the final drawings, despite both projects already having passed their respective Environmental Impact Asessment (EIA) reports.

“Both companies now have one month in which to submit their final plans for each project to Phuket Governor Nisit Jansomwong,” Mr Samak said.

“The plans are much more comprehensive than just another underpass,” he added. “For example, the Bang Khu project requires more than just a tunnel, it also requires roadworks covering 2.2 kilometres, and the Chalong Circle underpasses now requires two lanes in each direction each 2-3 meters wide.”

At last report, the Bang Khu underpass will have two lanes stretching 790 meters in length, while the Chalong Circle tunnel will be 750m long.

The news today follows Deputy Minister of Transport Arkhom Termpittayapaisith visiting Phuket to inspect the Samkong and Darasamuth underpasses on May 2.

During his visit, Deputy Minister Arkhom ordered the Department of Highways have have all procedural steps for both projects completed by the end of June.

Mr Arkhom also announced that a budget of B200m had been set aside to build a U-turn flyover at Koh Kaew and another flyover near the turnoff to Phuket International Airport in order to reduce traffic congestion on Thepkrassatri Rd.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/countdown-begins-on-phuket-new-b1-1bn-underpasses-53397.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-07-29

Actually, the new hospital just adjacent will be needed when this "one lane each way racing tunnel" opens........a pile up in this thing would be deadly....and as for overtaking vehicles and bikes...perish the thought!

Why would anyone build a two lane tunnel in 2015?

pathetic they make me laugh, the road s all over Thailand are so full of holes due to <deleted> construction and all they do is trow in some more tarmac, after sometime theres more holes than road, rural roads are particularly <deleted>, better off spending that wasted billions on good construction in the first place........but that aint gonna happen

No design plans finalized but the contracts have been awarded. I am at a loss..... how do you

make an accurate bid when you don't have plans and specifications. blink.png

Why only 2 lanes ?

Reading the OP, Chalong Circle will have four lanes.

The T junction at the end of the bypass will have two lanes underground, perhaps all that's needed for this intersection?

Edit" After looking more closely at the picture provided of a two lane tunnel, it is labelled as the Chalong Circle underpass!!

Presumably they took liberties with this depiction of the future tunnel!

Edited by Old Croc

pathetic they make me laugh, the road s all over Thailand are so full of holes due to <deleted> construction and all they do is trow in some more tarmac, after sometime theres more holes than road, rural roads are particularly <deleted>, better off spending that wasted billions on good construction in the first place........but that aint gonna happen

Well whole sections of Highway 331 (Eastern seaboard to Korat) for decades have been resurfaced every year or three because of poor costruction material and preparation. They are now being laid in 6" thick reinforced concrete. I am not sure if we should give kudos for this to the Junta or the previous administration but lets hope it lasts. But as always quality control (or lack-of) can ruin the best looking job. A similar looking stretch of concrete highway lies further south, closer to Pattaya but it was laid a year or more ago and some sections I have driven over have holes already. Bad concrete is bad whether it is mixed in a premix truck system or a black rubber baby bath. We had concrete delivered to us bu one of the two big companies with silos all over Thailand and as it came down the chute I was picking hunks of timber & coconut husk out of it, as big a a hat or dinner plate. An old maxim teaches us that we should never blame corruption when mere incompetence will suffice.

Why only 2 lanes ?

Reading the OP, Chalong Circle will have four lanes.

The T junction at the end of the bypass will have two lanes underground, perhaps all that's needed for this intersection?

Edit" After looking more closely at the picture provided of a two lane tunnel, it is labelled as the Chalong Circle underpass!!

Presumably they took liberties with this depiction of the future tunnel!

Well we know liberties will take place, and not just on this tunnel image. Where is this new hospital going in? Is it private or a gov't? I've always thought a good private hospital would do well in the South, as currently the private ones are a good 25-45 minutes away with current traffic, and soon to be 1-1.5 hours with construction traffic.

The usual negative crap from the arm chair engineers and Anything Thai Haters. In High season can take thirty minutes or more to get through Chalong Circle. Yes it will be inconvenient and a pain in the butt. Get over it. Deal with it. It will last a couple of years and then you will be able to zip through the intersection without even stopping. If it is going to be a huge problem for you then move to Thalang for a few years.

The usual negative crap from the arm chair engineers and Anything Thai Haters. In High season can take thirty minutes or more to get through Chalong Circle. Yes it will be inconvenient and a pain in the butt. Get over it. Deal with it. It will last a couple of years and then you will be able to zip through the intersection without even stopping. If it is going to be a huge problem for you then move to Thalang for a few years.

Ever thought of being a Police volunteer?

It's that new building being constructed where the local market is on the other side of the road from Villa and HomePro.

By the size of it, I'd describe it as a clinic rather than a hospital.

They've started it have they?

I think it is going to have something like 33 beds. So somewhere between a clinic and a proper hospital.

Part of Vachira I think.

The usual rubbish from the "don't let the door hit you in the bum" brigade.

The fact that there appears to be no plans to reroute traffic around this already massive bottleneck is of great concern, and not just an inconvenience, for people living south of there and certainly worthy of their anxiety.

I note you've stated elsewhere that you're getting out of Phuket because of all the problems here.

Enjoy life in your rice paddy in essan!.

Yeah that new building at the market really isn't going to make a dent in people having to travel further to seek medical attention. I thought the building was some new random gov't building ( kind of like the prime land next to the Meredien for some local land office).

Amazing that the civic planners haven't come up with any workable alternatives for those south of the circle to circumvent the traffic clusterf***.

Well we know liberties will take place, and not just on this tunnel image. Where is this new hospital going in? Is it private or a gov't? I've always thought a good private hospital would do well in the South, as currently the private ones are a good 25-45 minutes away with current traffic, and soon to be 1-1.5 hours with construction traffic.

It will be a small government hospital, something like only 30 beds. I guess it will only handle minor injuries and illness, much like the useless Patong Hospital. More serious cases will be sent by ambulance into Phuket Town hospitals.

Edited by LivinginKata

For the bike riders, I believe there is a track connecting the Big Buddha Rd, just under the first Elephant camp, to Patak Rd at the top of the straight.

No doubt someone will put in a boom gate and toll booth if it becomes popular.

If going from Patong to Nai Harn, or south Rawai, you can use the coast road.

Kata to the Chao Fahs, you can go from Patak Rd through Soi Anuson. You can also get to Villa and HomePro through the back entrance.

If going from the Chao Fahs to the pier road, you can take the turning that goes to the Lighthouse.

Kata to Viset, or the other way round, you can take the short cut from the hill to the school.

Unfortunately, everyone knows these short-cuts.

Edited by KarenBravo

The usual rubbish from the "don't let the door hit you in the bum" brigade.

The fact that there appears to be no plans to reroute traffic around this already massive bottleneck is of great concern, and not just an inconvenience, for people living south of there and certainly worthy of their anxiety.

I note you've stated elsewhere that you're getting out of Phuket because of all the problems here.

Enjoy life in your rice paddy in essan!.

I find plenty of things wrong with Thailand but bitching doesn't help. Same kind of mindless ignorant crap was said about the underpass at Central. I especially liked the post by Innocent Bystander who failed to understand that the road bed started declining 200 meters out to enter the tunnel. According to his post the roadbed took a 5 meter vertical drop at the tunnel entrance. I am not looking forward to this either but ill considered and negative comments are not helpful. I have to go over the hill several times a month and I will just have to adjust. In high season I have learned that if coming from the south and the backup is to the school it will take 15 to 30 minutes to get through the circle. However if you turn left at the big market and go to the base of the hill to get on the highway you can be at the circle in average 8 minutes. Then you turn left before the circle and go through Villa Market parking lot and out onto Chao Fa West. So there is a helpful and positive comment. And no, I am not a love it or leave it guy. I am an avoid, adapt or just accept it guy. I have a good life here and the bad stuff I deal with.

Problem with the two posts above, everyone and their brother will take these routes, so they too will end up taking just as long as the circle under construction. Not too mention, turning right from the steep uphill shortcut will result in a lot of accidents as traffic goes very fast there and will be heavier once construction begins.