Rains bring smiles back to farmers

Lite Beer

PRATCH RUJIVANAROM
THE NATION

30265663-02_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- EXPERTS WARN AGAINST SECOND CROP AS WATER MAY NOT BE ENOUGH DESPITE RAINFALL

SMILES HAVE returned to farmers' faces as it has finally started raining in the Chao Phraya River basin, easing severe drought conditions. However, experts warn that the rain may not be enough to fill the empty dams.

Yesterday, Deputy Government Spokesman Maj-General Sansern Kaewkumnerd said the situation in the country's four main dams had improved greatly, with as much as 51.28 million cubic metres flowing in on Thursday alone, and 202.73 million cubic metres in total last week.

The dams are Bhumibol, Sirikit, Pasak Jolasid and Khwae Noi Bamrungdan. According to the Royal Irrigation Department, the total inflow in all major dams had risen to 53.29 million cubic metres.

"From these figures, we can see that the water situation has improved, so the irrigation department has increased water outflow from 18 million cubic metres to 19 million cubic metres per day," Sansern said. "More water can be distributed to farmers, and with it raining in many areas, the water shortage problem has been relieved."

Theerasak Khumnguen, director of Chai Nat Provincial Agriculture Office, said recent heavy downpours had helped revive many paddy fields that were struggling with water shortage.

"The paddy fields in areas with low irrigation now have enough water, but I would still urge farmers to avoid planting a second crop, as the rain will not be enough to sustain it until harvest," he said.

"The rains will end in September, so there's only a month or so left, and rice needs four months to grow, so the water will not be enough for a second crop," he pointed out.

He also advised farmers to opt for plants that consume less water, such as corn and green beans, as per the Agriculture and Cooperatives Ministry's policy. The ministry will lend a helping hand by distributing seeds for free to farmers this month.

Dusadee Sukawat, a meteorology researcher at King Mongkut's University of Technology Thonburi, also voiced concern, saying there will not be enough rain to fill the dams and that the drought will drag on.

"We need more rain than usual to refill the dams, but the recent trend shows that the rains will not be that much owing to the El Nino phenomenon. Therefore, a long drought is inevitable," Dusadee said.

According to the Meteorological Department, precipitation in the last half of the rainy season will be slightly lower than average, and only two tropical storms are predicted to hit Thailand.

Also, the total available water in the four major dams only stands at 4 per cent, according to the Royal Irrigation Department.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Rains-bring-smiles-back-to-farmers-30265663.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-01

I suppose it means hat you can't blame a lack of rainfall on a government, military or otherwise. You can, on the other hand, give credit where it is due. The present government warned farmers a year ago that there would be water shortages this year, many farmers ignored the warnings, planted rice instead of corn or beans. It was a choice, a conscious, informed decision. As businessmen they had every right to make that choice, and no right to blame anyone else.

It was a choice, a conscious, informed decision. As businessmen they had every right to make that choice, and no right to blame anyone else.

You seem to confuse western farmers with an agricultural education and a large commercial company with thai farmers who can barely read and write, are indebted, and need to plant rice to not die of hunger or have their land taken away from them by the banks.

Care to explain this cryptic comment?

Does it mean a “higher instance” is meddling with the privileges of a military government?

Ever heard the slogan: "Bringing back happiness to all Thais?"

It was a choice, a conscious, informed decision. As businessmen they had every right to make that choice, and no right to blame anyone else.

You seem to confuse western farmers with an agricultural education and a large commercial company with thai farmers who can barely read and write, are indebted, and need to plant rice to not die of hunger or have their land taken away from them by the banks.

Oh dear...you really need to get out more.

Which part you disagree with exactly?

Thai farmers being uneducated?

Thai farmers being poor?

Thai farmers having debts?

Or am i wrong on all 3 counts?

Thai farmers being poor?

I know there is no point in responding to you, your mind is made up, but. Perhaps you can explain how Yingluck and her caddie helped the farmers, how did their policies help to educate the farmers, how did their policies help to enrich them, by attempting to corner the market on rice and losing billions? I can't quite figure out how leaving no money in the treasury for agriculture was of any assistance to them. As far as debts go, see above, no money, no pay because of crooked rice scheme, or did all the farmers become uneducated, poor and in debt in the last year? Old Teflon Thaksin sure has you brainwashed.

Thai farmers being poor?

I know there is no point in responding to you, your mind is made up, but. Perhaps you can explain how Yingluck and her caddie helped the farmers, how did their policies help to educate the farmers, how did their policies help to enrich them, by attempting to corner the market on rice and losing billions? I can't quite figure out how leaving no money in the treasury for agriculture was of any assistance to them. As far as debts go, see above, no money, no pay because of crooked rice scheme, or did all the farmers become uneducated, poor and in debt in the last year? Old Teflon Thaksin sure has you brainwashed.

Are you sure I am the one who is brainwashed? 5555

You seem to have shown the basic knee-jerk reaction of a junta-supporter: "but Taksin ..." while the discussion is not about Taksin, Yingluck, or the junta.

The rest of your comment is about the previous government which is not part of the discussion here, so I won't even react to that.

I just wonder what will happen when April comes around and the dams are still low and it's Songkran time. Will the Thai people forfeit the usual water wasting fun to help the farmers with next years crops or will we be back to where we are now?? I feel sorry to to say this but I think we will be right back to where we are now, with low levels of water as they can not seem to think about, what happens tomorrow, next week, next month or anything about the future? Thai's really only live in the NOW and seem not to care about future planning apart from mai bpen rai...........it will all work out somehow. So sad!

Thai farmers being poor?

Are you sure I am the one who is brainwashed? 5555

You seem to have shown the basic knee-jerk reaction of a junta-supporter: "but Taksin ..." while the discussion is not about Taksin, Yingluck, or the junta.

The rest of your comment is about the previous government which is not part of the discussion here, so I won't even react to that.

You confound cause with effect. Ramrod speaks about the cause and he is right. You deny the cause and you are brainwashed and/or applied logic is not your aim.

You confound cause with effect. Ramrod speaks about the cause and he is right. You deny the cause and you are brainwashed and/or applied logic is not your aim.

Ramrod does speak about the cause and he does have very valid points; the Yingluck government did not help the farmers much by handing out money instead of coming with structual solutions; they probably made it even worse for them in the long run. I am not denying that, I am merely stating that that was not the subject being discussed.

But for some reason people think every subject is about junta vs Yingluck/Taksin. That sounds like being brainwashed to me...