Honda CB series recall

hougourou

I recently read that Honda is recalling many models of the CB series, such as the CBR 250, CB 500, CRF 250, CB 300 due to a faulty starter relay switch. The defective switch (sounds like a solenoid to me) causes the bike to cut out and lose all power even at cruising speeds.--potentially quite dangerous. The recall started in Japan but is now in effect in Canada, Australia, India and the US. Not all bikes are affected, but they need to check the part serial number on all bikes of the affected models. Does anyone have any information on this as regards to Thailand Honda? I bought a new CB 300 for my son and it has cut out a couple times. I thought it might have been bad petrol, but now I'm not so sure.

I plan to call AP Honda (my dealer in Chiang Mai is a bit clueless) but wonder if anyone else has tried to follow up on this with them.

Any information greatly appreciated.

Click the link at the bottom of the page to see if your bike is affected .

http://www.bikesonshow.com/honda-recalls-2009-2015-sealant-solenoid .

Thanks for this Greg, but those VIN's are for bikes sold in Australia. Maybe I should just order a new, non-defective solenoid for this model from abroad and have it installed here. They couldn't charge that much for a solenoid (famous last words)... I'll see what Honda Thailand have to say, but somehow I'm not optimistic.

Still open to suggestions.

BTW this recall is not about the "CB" series - I don't think there even exists such a series.

It's just for many of their models.

Something any Honda owner should definitely check out and if in doubt ask their dealer or like you said AP Honda directly if the dealer is not capable of doing his job.

BTW this recall is not about the "CB" series - I don't think there even exists such a series.

Something any Honda owner should definitely check out and if in doubt ask their dealer or like you said AP Honda directly if the dealer is not capable of doing his job.

You're right eisfeld, I mentioned CB-prefixed models because they're the ones with this problem that are sold in Thailand. I see India is also recalling bikes for this reason. Quoth Honda: "potential for the wire harness to catch fire"--now that sounds like fun!

I'll have my wife ring AP Honda in the morning and let you all know how it went...

Spoke with Honda in BKK this morning--they are aware of the problem, and will be "soon" be telling their dealers to contact customers to have them bring in their bikes to be checked. Soon can mean lots of things to I'm going to get a price for this part from the US.

You're right eisfeld, I mentioned CB-prefixed models because they're the ones with this problem that are sold in Thailand. I see India is also recalling bikes for this reason. Quoth Honda: "potential for the wire harness to catch fire"--now that sounds like fun!

I'll have my wife ring AP Honda in the morning and let you all know how it went...

Not quite right since they also have CRF, NC and CTX models affected which are sold here. Best is to be safe and just give Honda a call if you have a bigger-ish bike from them (not scooter).

Have any other CRF250 owners in Thailand had a recall? I've had a stalling issue since day one but nobody's contacted me about it

Honda in other countries, including India, have started recalling the affected models (which includes CRF's) but Honda Thailand is, as of now, offering a temporary replacement switch if the bike won't start at all. A recall to check the switch will take place "soon". I'd see your dealer and call Honda in Bangkok--the more they hear from dis-satisfied customers, the sooner "soon" is likely to happen.

Here's the best information I've found on the matter, including models affected. It's in Thia, but Google translate gives a rough idea:

http://www.motorival.com/honda-%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%B7%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%96-23%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B8%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%99/

Hmm, that link looks funny--maybe just try motorival.com and look around

Here's the best information I've found on the matter, including models affected. It's in Thia, but Google translate gives a rough idea:

http://www.motorival.com/honda-%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%B7%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%96-23%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B8%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%99/

That link you gave is good, thanks. My CRF 250 L is OK according to the chart. My bike sure has weird serial number. I bought one of the early models maybe they used a new numbering scheme later on.

That link you gave is good, thanks. My CRF 250 L is OK according to the chart. My bike sure has weird serial number. I bought one of the early models maybe they used a new numbering scheme later on.

Sorry, Drift, but those serial numbers are for the bikes in Australia--if you bought your bike here it wont be on the list, I posted only for models affected and Honda Thailand's response.

Sorry, Drift, but those serial numbers are for the bikes in Australia--if you bought your bike here it wont be on the list, I posted only for models affected and Honda Thailand's response.

Thanks for correcting me, I should learn to read. I guess we'll have to wait for the official Honda Thailand announcement then.

CB300F 2015 AC MLHNC521*F5100001 thru MLHNC521*F5102642

my bike MLHNC527xxxxxxxxxx

should be fine but my bike did switch off one time by himself

Those serial numbers are not for bikes sold in Thailand--Honda Thailand has not issued a recall. If concerned, follow the link above (atarian alps) and check the part yourself, or have your dealer do it

Cb650f included in the recall?

I see the CBR 650 on the US recall notice linked above, but not the CB--maybe it wasn't exported to the US.

If your bike has ever cut out at speed, I'd say it's worth checking the starter relay switch to see if it's one of the bad batches.

Cb650f included in the recall?

I see the CBR 650 on the US recall notice linked above, but not the CB--maybe it wasn't exported to the US.

If your bike has ever cut out at speed, I'd say it's worth checking the starter relay switch to see if it's one of the bad batches.

Ok good thanks. Ill just wait for bigwing to get back to me.

Since I started this thread, I think I should follow up with the latest news--Honda has informed all their dealers to contact customers of the affected models to bring their bikes in to check the starter relay. Here's an extract of the notice attached. Engine numbers below the number should be checked. Or is it above this number shown? Anyway, see your dealer.

Also attached is the full Englishpost-90174-0-82198200-1440649722_thumb.jRCRIT-15V439-3871.pdf language recall notice, which Honda has translated into Thai and sent to dealers.

Were all these faulty parts made in different countries , by the different companys that make Hondas , and did they all follow faulty designs . ( I know Hero used to make the Hondas in India ) . Or where these parts all made by one company , ( who / where ? ) , and shipped throughout the world .

Since I started this thread, I think I should follow up with the latest news--Honda has informed all their dealers to contact customers of the affected models to bring their bikes in to check the starter relay. Here's an extract of the notice attached. Engine numbers below the number should be checked. Or is it above this number shown? Anyway, see your dealer.

Also attached is the full Englishattachicon.gifunnamed.jpgattachicon.gifRCRIT-15V439-3871.pdf language recall notice, which Honda has translated into Thai and sent to dealers.

Good info. Thanks.

• 2 months later...

Went and got this recall done today...

At first I was told to pay if I want a new relay... The shop thought there was a gearbox recall not a relay recall.. Lol very confidence inspiring.

Finally they made a few calls and figured out what the recall was for.. Boss came back to the shop and had a box of relays.

Had this print out from Honda also but anyway done now...

They said my relay was in spec but changed it anyway.

Sent from my c64