Elton John takes on Venice mayor over removal of books

webfact

Elton John takes on Venice mayor over removal of books

MILAN (AP) — Elton John has slammed Venice's conservative mayor over moves to remove books from public preschools dealing with gender issues and featuring same-sex couples.

The singer, who has a home in Venice, called Mayor Luigi Brugnaro "boorishly bigoted" in an Instagram post following the removal of some books from preschools pending an evaluation of their appropriateness.

Brugnaro shot back on Tuesday on Twitter, saying "The challenge is to give real resources for saving #Venice," adding in dialect: "Let's get to facts, out with the cash #Elton John."

The mayor in a statement last month voiced reservations about the books "Little Egg," whose protagonist meets non-traditional families, and "Jean Has Two Mothers." He said it would be decided over the school break who would make the selections "to avoid further diatribes."

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-08-19

Elton John Venice row: Mayor defends same-sex book decision

VENICE: -- Venice's mayor has hit back after singer Elton John attacked the city's decision to withdraw books featuring same-sex couples from schools.

Luigi Brugnaro removed 49 books from school libraries after being elected in June, though some have been reinstated.

In an Instagram post, John, who has two children with his husband, called Venice's mayor "boorishly bigoted".

Mr Brugnaro has now defended his decision and called the British singer "arrogant" in a series of tweets.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33978500

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2015-08-19

The mayor doesn't criticized Elton's music, Elton will do well to keep his gayness to his himself

and to his bedrooms... why is that the gay community has the loudest mouth? but strangely enough,

only for their causes or gay community affairs.. never on behest of other people's causes...

Edited by ezzra

Who knows if the issue is quite as clear cut as presented here and may be far more complex, but it seems quite possible at least that the Mayor is trying to - "shove heterosexuality down children's throats" in an attempt to reach an outcome where, if they feel different from the imposed 'heterosexual agenda' over the years, they are to feel ashamed, confused and uncomfortable. Ordinarily I would say that what goes on in Italy's schools are none of an Englishman's business, but then again this is the EU where borders mean little anymore politically and economically. Plus, he has a home there so his high profile is bound to be called upon once somebody notified him of it all.

We live in a world which is a lot less traditional than in the past. There are various types of families including blended families because of remarriages (not just by divorce but by death as well). It is a little difficult for children who are adopted, foster children and those with non-traditional families. A part of a good education would be to explain these various situations to children.

It's not just same sex marriages that result in non-traditional families.

The mayor doesn't criticized Elton's music, Elton will do well to keep his gayness to his himself

and to his bedrooms... why is that the gay community has the loudest mouth? but strangely enough,

only for their causes or gay community affairs.. never on behest of other people's causes...

When gayness in involved you will see them being gay. In other matters they are just as involved, just like other human beings.

I fully support all efforts to make this world a more positive place for all adults who in a mutually consenting relationship that harms no one ... a normal and accepted fact.

However, I do find it amusing that the Queen of the Hippocrates, "Sir" Elton John, the whore performer who bent over and played at Rush Limbaugh, wedding... is all in a tizzy now!

Oh MY! You can't make this stuff up!

"Let's get to facts, out with the cash #Elton John."

What the hell does that mean? Is he asking for a bribe?

Never got that Limbaugh's wedding thing, can people be so obviously hypocritical? Of the two, which is the greater hyprocrite?

It is a bizarre tweet indeed.

Good reasons to provide non-bigoted information about GLBT people and families in schools is that some of them come from such families, many of them will grow up to be GLBT people, and also of course as a tactic to reduce bullying among classmates. You can never eliminate bullying and homophobia, but you can reduce it, so WHY NOT?!?

This funny tweeting mayor, what's his schtick? Is he trying to be the Putin of the canals?

Edited by Jingthing

It is a bizarre tweet indeed.

Good reasons to provide non-bigoted information about GLBT people and families in schools is that some of them come from such families, many of them will grow up to be GLBT people, and also of course as a tactic to reduce bullying among classmates. You can never eliminate bullying and homophobia, but you can reduce it, so WHY NOT?!?

This funny tweeting mayor, what's his schtick? Is he trying to be the Putin of the canals?

Well there is a big space between information and promoting it.

'The singer, who has a home in Venice, called Mayor Luigi Brugnaro "boorishly bigoted" ...' Perhaps the mayor has more concern for the children, who have plenty of time to learn of the oddities of life. There are plenty of books that they should read without the need for the Venetian mayor to pander to Mr(s) John's boorish tantrums.

When will people understand that no-one chooses to be gay? Why on earth would you, societies being what they are? Some people are made that way by nature, and if you believe there is a God, he/she must have done it. So how come it is so bad? Because some bigoted men (always men) said so 2000 years ago?

Gay kids turn out to be gay adults. Straight kids turn outo be straight adults.

It's a far healthier attitude to let this be known and accepted.

So you assume kids are born gay? Really?

That's a very complex question and the science about the etiology of homosexuality (and heterosexuality) is a work in progress. I think the scope of that discussion is way too big for this particular and much smaller topic ... about a conflict between a beloved Pop Star and a tweeting mayor of Venice.

I can remember kids from grade school Knowing them thru High School and some reunions. Gay. ......I do believe that gay people are born gay......and no Im not gay myself. Born and raised in San Francisco though so not homophobic.

Im also a physician and have studied genetics at grad school level.

Edited by NickJ

That is Elton being Elton, all handbags and thinks he is the one, lucky he does not live in some of those Arab countries where to be gay is a Crime

Why would a world famous British gay icon move to such a place?

It's not that he wouldn't, he couldn't.

That is Elton being Elton, all handbags and thinks he is the one, lucky he does not live in some of those Arab countries where to be gay is a Crime

Why would a world famous British gay icon move to such a place?

It's not that he wouldn't, he couldn't.

He wouldn't want to.

But you are right to express concern for the GLBT people living in the many nations where they are horribly oppressed, some even with anti-gay death penalties.

Different countries are at different levels on GLBT civil rights issues. Italy is hardly the worst but not the best either.

Edited by Jingthing

I fully support all efforts to make this world a more positive place for all adults who in a mutually consenting relationship that harms no one ... a normal and accepted fact.

However, I do find it amusing that the Queen of the Hippocrates, "Sir" Elton John, the whore performer who bent over and played at Rush Limbaugh, wedding... is all in a tizzy now!

Oh MY! You can't make this stuff up!

Wow, I never knew Elton was a Doctor! I may or may not agree with Eltons sexual proclivities, but I dont agree with banning books about it.