The sanuk has left Pattaya.

thaibeachlovers

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread has been very educational for me. Seems that there are actually people that like a city with terrible traffic, mad bad drivers, overpriced accommodation, rip off restaurants and unfriendly residents. Of course none of them are there for the hookers!

I wonder if they'd like to live in a place like that back home?

I have never been here for the hookers and have found many places around the world with worse traffic, accommodation and restaurants that costs more, plus some unfriendly residents. Pattaya is what it is and you can find a lot to like if you look.

I have never been here for the hookers and have found many places around the world with worse traffic, accommodation and restaurants that costs more, plus some unfriendly residents. Pattaya is what it is and you can find a lot to like if you look.

I don't see what places elsewhere in the world have to do with a Pattaya thread, but whatever, I don't holiday in them.

I don't understand why people that are not here for the hookers would stay in Pattaya rather than one of the really nice beach areas that abound on Thailand's gulf coast. Little traffic, cheap accommodation, cheap restaurants, lovely beaches, friendly locals- just no bar beers and girls for rent.

This thread has been very educational for me. Seems that there are actually people that like a city with terrible traffic, mad bad drivers, overpriced accommodation, rip off restaurants and unfriendly residents. Of course none of them are there for the hookers!

You make it seem very black and white when actually it is all relative and the opposite can also be held to be true.

- Personally I found the rush hour traffic in the UK more often than not worse than the worst Pattaya traffic

- "mad bad drivers" - agree this is bit of an issue but either you adapt or you move - it is hardly a deal breaker IMHO.

- "overpriced accommodation" - can you get a decent room for 450 baht equivalent in the UK...........Generally prices here are much cheaper for reasonable hotels.

- "rip off restaurants" - can be found anywhere but it is not hard to find very good value as you yourself admitted

- "unfriendly residents" - some are, some are actually very friendly thumbsup.gif .......

Originally I came for the golf and the nightlife - which makes many of your other Thai locations not as attractive to me.

Edit - Correction to your OP Al Jazeera in English is available on Sophon cable and has been for some time..........

Edited by topt

You make it seem very black and white when actually it is all relative and the opposite can also be held to be true.

- Personally I found the rush hour traffic in the UK more often than not worse than the worst Pattaya traffic

- "mad bad drivers" - agree this is bit of an issue but either you adapt or you move - it is hardly a deal breaker IMHO.

- "overpriced accommodation" - can you get a decent room for 450 baht equivalent in the UK...........Generally prices here are much cheaper for reasonable hotels.

- "rip off restaurants" - can be found anywhere but it is not hard to find very good value as you yourself admitted

- "unfriendly residents" - some are, some are actually very friendly thumbsup.gif .......

Originally I came for the golf and the nightlife - which makes many of your other Thai locations not as attractive to me.

Edit - Correction to your OP Al Jazeera in English is available on Sophon cable and has been for some time..........

Oh. I could only get Arabic Al Jazeera on the hotel cable tv, but perhaps they opted out for some strange reason. They did have Fox and BBC.

I did mention in another post that those that DON'T come for the nightlife might prefer other, more attractive and cheaper beach locations on Thailand's Gulf coast.

I don't see what places elsewhere in the world have to do with a Pattaya thread, but whatever, I don't holiday in them.

I don't understand why people that are not here for the hookers would stay in Pattaya rather than one of the really nice beach areas that abound on Thailand's gulf coast. Little traffic, cheap accommodation, cheap restaurants, lovely beaches, friendly locals- just no bar beers and girls for rent.

Pattaya is good for families as it is close to most attractions and day trips. Its not all just bars n girls

1000 st- aaaargggghhhhh.

Sorry, can't discuss prices in the past as against forum rules, but it certainly was more user friendly 20 years ago. I don't rent bgs anymore so don't know current trends.

Positive- haven't been on a baht bus yet, but I think they are still 10 baht- same as 20 years ago. Still too many of them on the road though, so must make a profit.

The girls are still just as attractive- lots of DDG girls around.

My hotel is still 450 baht and seen lots at 400 to 500, same as 10 years ago. Restaurants are in the "treat" category now, but there's always 7 11 pot noodles for meals.

You are 20 years older and i can FEEL, your resentment. Lets face it, staying in a 450 baht a night room, says it all for me, Byyyeee, and leave wonderful Pattaya for the funloving expats HAHAHAHAHAHA

Edited by Bernard Flint

If you are a sex tourist Pattaya has certainly changed for the worse.

Cheap sex with attractive ladies who often were looking for boyfriends or husbands has all but disappeared.

The small town mainly European sex tourist destination has slowly changed into a mass tourist destination with the advent of big hotels, and cheap package tourists.

Thai women also have more options with a better economy and the internet putting up the stocks of all thai women making them more attractive in a global market.

Along with all of that there has been a steady decline in the incomes of many of the former sex tourists for Europe who find that Thailand is just not that cheap anymore.

Yep Pattaya has changed and for many who loved the sanuk of Pattaya in days gone by it will never come back.

EXCELLANT POST

I have noticed that the singh vest, old, fat men have lost out more than the younger guys.I speak with many thai ladies, who prefer to go on dating websites, than roll about with some hairy farang, who farts and splutters, in an induced alcohol state,when trying to perform, I say good on the ladies, the internet has realy helped them find some half decent non thai

I first came to Pattaya in 1995 to work for 3 months. It has changed a lot since. I can recall standing on the road outside of the TQ admiring a yanks Willies Jeep with a 350 chevy V8 implanted, and very little traffic. You could park anywhere along the beach road.

Things have changed though, I don't think it is worse, but it is not as sleepy as it was then. Same with Phuket and Samui. All have suffered the consequences of their own success.

At that time, people in Phuket were telling me it was like Pattaya 10 to 15 years before that. Samui was 10 years behind Phuket.

Now, Hua Hin is catching up with Samui, Ko Chang catching up with Hua Hin.

When I travel up North to Lam Plai Mat in Buriram, that's still the same as it was 20 years ago...maybe improved a bit, there is a small shopping centre and within 40 minutes drive a Home Pro.

Things change though. Your memories are of pre-developed Pattaya. The reason you liked it back then did not go unnoticed. You can still have a good time in Pats, and drive South if you want the feel of 30 years ago, it is still there in places along the way to Cambodia.

The cross the border and go to Sihanoukville, that may remind you more of Pattaya 30 years ago minus the go go bars. But cheap and easy all the way!

This thread is about the OP's inability to accept that he is getting old.

Which admittedly aint a great problem but probably has more mileage and less 'eeeewww factor' than dennis's bum bandit escapades.

Hahaha, ewww- classic post. Edited by HLover

The OP is a well know strange man with strange views on all topics across several Forums .I used to live in Jomtien but moved several years ago with family up to Chiang Mai .I still like Pattaya for a holiday and take it for what it is .Its more expensive over all than C.M but you can still find good value meals around .I take it Kiss restaurant is still there on 2 nd road ,and Jomtien ? .Cheap and cheerful ,and i would guess still cheap ?Also i had some Western meals in Wetherspoon about 3 months ago at reasonable prices and Guinness at B150 was a bonus .Cheapest Guinness in Chiang Mai at the red Lion pub is B190 .

Edited by anto

I think its a VERY GRAND IDEA that you never come back.

I have been here 10 years and very little has changed, its easy to pick on all the bad things, but you don't mention the good ones. And if your paying 200baht for a meal , you did that by choice, many places around you get a great full western meal for 159 baht. Yes it is low season, its this slow every year, the only people arriving now are the Chinese and once the European countries start to get cold all those folks will return as they always do and the place will be packed out and the room prices will go up. If you expected dramatic change in a 3rd world country...forget about it. As for the people her there are good and bad just as anyplace.Spend your next holiday at home!!!!!

Pls mention the good changes.

1. Traffic?

2. Crime?

3. Cost of living?

4. Drug problems?

Anymore?

No need to mention them as they are pretty much the same as they were 10 years ago

Jomtein Beach is a good place to take family. Not to wild and crazy, can have hotel, beach and good restaurants within a few blocks of each other. Pattaya is just a baht bus away. Jomtein has the market soi 7 and 2nd rd. for some evening meals. No need for a car or motorbike if staying local.

Pattaya is good for families as it is close to most attractions and day trips. Its not all just bars n girls

western families and women would find Jomptien a better choice than Pattaya.

western families and women would find Jomptien a better choice than Pattaya.

Agree for sure, but I'd guess most would mean "Greater" Pattaya, including Jomtien, East Pattaya etc in the context of this thread.

This thread is about the OP's inability to accept that he is getting old.

Which admittedly aint a great problem but probably has more mileage and less 'eeeewww factor' than dennis's bum bandit escapades.

Hahaha, ewww- classic post.

If homophobic and stupid statements are classic I guess.

I've been coming here around 20 years, yes times have changed but........and big but is the fun is still here if you look in the right places and spread some cash around in the form of ladies drinks. Talk a bit of Thai, buy em a drink, play about and they will hang about you all night and give you a good time.

Easy to talk about the negatives too, now there are a lot of big ladies about and they think their sh!t doesn't stink. One day my mate and I walked down soi 6 and all the pretty ladies outside had their heads buried in their iphones, very anti social. In the old days there was none of that, it was full on, you were so important to them making money, now they just don't care. Plenty of internet boyfriends for them. Anything extra is a bonus. Who can blame them, now even an Issan teen has a smartphone, back in the day they were lucky to have the bus fare to get here.

The internet revolution is here, facebook is here, their whole life revolves around facebook...................... but as I said the fun is still there if you play it right.

As for cars, traffic and hotels, yes everything has increased but not the infrastructure. You couldn't walk on a footpath for any length of time back then and you still can't now so same same. But who said food was expensive? It's still cheap here in Pattaya, try Phuket, Koh Samui or Krabi then you will really have something to complain about.

Still can get air con rooms for 500 baht a night, baht bus only 10 baht a trip. Pad Kapow Moo and Pad Thai for 50 baht and best of all a Leo for 50 to 55 baht at the right places.

It will do me just fine here.

I've been coming here around 20 years, yes times have changed but........and big but is the fun is still here if you look in the right places and spread some cash around in the form of ladies drinks. Talk a bit of Thai, buy em a drink, play about and they will hang about you all night and give you a good time.

Easy to talk about the negatives too, now there are a lot of big ladies about and they think their sh!t doesn't stink. One day my mate and I walked down soi 6 and all the pretty ladies outside had their heads buried in their iphones, very anti social. In the old days there was none of that, it was full on, you were so important to them making money, now they just don't care. Plenty of internet boyfriends for them. Anything extra is a bonus. Who can blame them, now even an Issan teen has a smartphone, back in the day they were lucky to have the bus fare to get here.

The internet revolution is here, facebook is here, their whole life revolves around facebook...................... but as I said the fun is still there if you play it right.

As for cars, traffic and hotels, yes everything has increased but not the infrastructure. You couldn't walk on a footpath for any length of time back then and you still can't now so same same. But who said food was expensive? It's still cheap here in Pattaya, try Phuket, Koh Samui or Krabi then you will really have something to complain about.

Still can get air con rooms for 500 baht a night, baht bus only 10 baht a trip. Pad Kapow Moo and Pad Thai for 50 baht and best of all a Leo for 50 to 55 baht at the right places.

It will do me just fine here.

I do believe that I said I had AC room for 450. That wasn't my complaint.

I believe I said that it was more dangerous because of the scum drivers that race down roads with no pavements and tried to kill me, several times in just a couple of days.

I also complained that overpricing in restaurants is rife. Sure I can eat in 7 11 cheaply, but before cheap eats were everywhere- not now.

I don't care about food in Phuket- I don't go there anymore.

The new beach walkway is a disgrace, and the pedestrian lights not working is a scandal.

Other things like the only park by Bali Hi being used for a carpark.

Agree that the girls are sooooooo stuck up now. See them in Central with their temporary boyfriends and thinking they are special, when their grandfather was a peasant.

I have been here 10 years and very little has changed, its easy to pick on all the bad things, but you don't mention the good ones. And if your paying 200baht for a meal , you did that by choice, many places around you get a great full western meal for 159 baht. Yes it is low season, its this slow every year, the only people arriving now are the Chinese and once the European countries start to get cold all those folks will return as they always do and the place will be packed out and the room prices will go up. If you expected dramatic change in a 3rd world country...forget about it. As for the people her there are good and bad just as anyplace.Spend your next holiday at home!!!!!

"at home" he won't find a 5-star hotel which charges 400 Baht a night for a deluxe room laugh.png

"at home" he won't find a 5-star hotel which charges 400 Baht a night for a deluxe room laugh.png

And, I won't be able to eat an excellent big breakfast for 130 baht in a restaurant, only takeaway burger and chips in a piece of newspaper.

Bus for 10 baht, forgedaboutit.

i cant imagine how the same sex holiday year after year could get old

If I went to Pattaya now for sex I'd agree with you. One can put up with a lot to make the small head happy.

Since I got married that has changed. Why pay for something that's available at home anytime?

Unlike my western ex partner, my Thai wife never says no.