UK officials say number of terrorism arrests at record high

webfact

UK officials say number of terrorism arrests at record high

LONDON (AP) — British officials say the number of people being arrested on suspicion of terrorism-related crimes has reached a record high as police and security services cope with the influence of Islamic State militants based in Syria.

The Home Office figures released Thursday show 299 people were arrested in the 12 months that ended in March. Officials say that represents a 31 percent increase over the previous 12 months, and is the highest figure since records started being kept after the September 11, 2001, attacks in the United States.

Officials also report a "marked increase" in the number of suspects who are either British or dual nationals.

The number of women arrested also increased substantially to 35, officials say. That represents a threefold increase over five years.

Police have warned that the Islamic State group has been adept at winning youthful followers inside Britain via social media. The group has sought to appeal to young women and teens, encouraging them to travel to Syria to join the group and marry jihadis.

Not everyone arrested on suspicion of terrorism is charged with a crime.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-09-10

British officials say the number of people being arrested on suspicion of terrorism-related crimes has reached a record high.
This is a record that is going to rise faster than the communal office Tetris score. Especially since they're inviting all these new players . . . .
They will likely soon stop publishing figures or change the way they are collated in order to disguise the trend, a bit like global warmists do but in reverse.
Edited by Scott

Crap that I did as a kid (we all did) would get me thrown in the hoosgaw today under terrorism laws.

Blow up a garbage can? Illegal explosives, throw away the key.

Have a Middle Eastern pen pal? Bye Bye...

Donate money to an organization that rescues abused camels from cruel owners? Should have known better.

Mail order a rocket engine and a few pounds of gunpowder from the back of a magazine? You're gone.

Call the Pentagon and ask if they have Prince Albert in a can? Latex glove time.

Edited by impulse

I am dumbfounded. The same England that fought off Hitler after he schmoozed his way into power in Germany can't see that it's being fooled by something perhaps worse and global. The same tough and nationalist country that wouldn't bow to Hitler's force now bows to PC attitudes and a borderless group.

The same Germany... I guess fools don't learn.

It will be interesting to see who owns Europe in 20 years - the Muslims who will keep immigrating and out-breeding while refusing to assimilate, or Russia which will be needed again and which is resisting these ME invaders.

I expect I may live long enough to see the smirks get wiped of the faces of the gddmm Europeans who make fun of 100 million Americans who won't give up their guns... whistling.gif

We're going to have a party one of these days...

Cheers.

Of Course ISIS is just a 'so-so' threat - just 'happy talk'- confined only to the Syrian and Iraqi regions... They couldn't be so wide spread, devious and smart enough to infiltrate the migrant herds could they? Nor could ISIS have even initiated a portion of the migrant movement towards Europe - then aggravated the situation on purpose to increase the numbers. Who gives a 'Okay' for the 'human traffickers to operate in the war torn area of Syria? You mean the traffickers who entice the migrates onto boats operate with impunity and are not sanctioned by ISIS? Such fools who run the EU... and even bigger fools who run the U.S. Presidential Administration.

Daily Beast: 50 U.S. spies say admin altered their dire reports on ISIS into ‘happy talk’

http://canadafreepress.com/article/75153

Edited by JDGRUEN

British officials say the number of people being arrested on suspicion of terrorism-related crimes has reached a record high.

This is a record that is going to rise faster than the communal office Tetris score. Especially since they're inviting all these new players . . . .

They will likely soon stop publishing figures or change the way they are collated in order to disguise the trend, a bit like global warmists do but in reverse.

No they won't . They need these figures to justify the spying and increase it too. They need it for bigger budgets and new measures to violate our freedom & privacy.

Now if we only could increase the number of radicalized people to go the Syria , it could offset and balance the people coming in....

How can people get arrested for terrorism if they are not charged with a crime?

Actually 'arrest' is only one aspect PM Cameron just this week testified that several months ago he sanction a drone assassination of British nationals who were in Syria working with ISIS. And Cameron is not alone in doing this ...

Personally - I am not against it ... but it is a practice that could easily grow and be abused ...

Soon the Brits will have to take the blame for strengthening ISIS and causing the coming terrorist strikes in London. After all they blame their cousins across the water for causing this mess in the ME. Now they are assassinating fighters in Syria using a US Predator drone and they'll just have to pay the price.

Oh wait. They should be killing those people. What was I thinking?

Not to worry. As the OP says, The UK is full of terrorists now. It's just a matter of time. sad.png

Mr Cameron should be aware that the denial of habeas corpus might be experienced as torture by the suspects of "terrorism", and that such treatment might eventually cause the terroristic attitude that it pretends to fight.

If I'm denied human rights, then why should I respect others' human lives?

I am dumbfounded. The same England that fought off Hitler after he schmoozed his way into power in Germany can't see that it's being fooled by something perhaps worse and global. The same tough and nationalist country that wouldn't bow to Hitler's force now bows to PC attitudes and a borderless group.

It will be interesting to see who owns Europe in 20 years - the Muslims who will keep immigrating and out-breeding while refusing to assimilate, or Russia which will be needed again and which is resisting these ME invaders.

I expect I may live long enough to see the smirks get wiped of the faces of the gddmm Europeans who make fun of 100 million Americans who won't give up their guns... whistling.gif

Cheers.

too much Leo last night??? Who says Muslims don't want to assimilate? The thing is we have to give them options how to do!

I got the impression that Muslims are for you all terrorists. In many EU countries we have Muslims in the government ot parliaments. In your eyes they are sent by ISIS for espionage? There is more in this world than only white and black, Laddie!

Cheers.

That's about right mate. It's Britain, not England. Even dumbass Sturgeon the SNP leader clamors for more refugees to be let into the UK.

Merkel, a former East German scientist, makes you wonder.

At least Putin doesn't seem to be falling for it - although they wouldn't want to go there. Benefits not so good.

I admire America for many things. The American Constitution and foresight of those the produced it is one. The right to bear arms, to defend your family, possessions, way of life and yourself should be a fundamental right for all free people. Sadly, those of us who come from European countries had those rights removed.

When it does all hit the fan, and it surely will, I just hope America is generous and let's Europeans in. There won't be much point going home - that fight's been lost.

Detention without charge to facilitate an investigation, if insufficient evidence released without charge. UK anti-terrorism legislation covers all terrorism matters including 'glorification' of terrorism & domestic extremism. You may be interested in the numbers currently in prison...

As at 31 December 2014, there were 183 persons in custody for terrorism-related offences and domestic extremism. This was an increase of 36 prisoners compared with the same time last year (as at 31 December 2013), and an increase of 38 compared with the number of persons in custody at the end of the previous quarter (30 September 2014).

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/operation-of-police-powers-under-the-terrorism-act-2000-quarterly-update-to-december-2014/operation-of-police-powers-under-the-terrorism-act-2000-and-subsequent-legislation-arrests-outcomes-and-stops-and-searches-quarterly-update-to-31-d

Edited by simple1

Detention without charge to facilitate an investigation, if insufficient evidence released without charge. UK anti-terrorism legislation covers all terrorism matters including 'glorification' of terrorism & domestic extremism. You may be interested in the numbers currently in prison...

As at 31 December 2014, there were 183 persons in custody for terrorism-related offences and domestic extremism. This was an increase of 36 prisoners compared with the same time last year (as at 31 December 2013), and an increase of 38 compared with the number of persons in custody at the end of the previous quarter (30 September 2014).

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/operation-of-police-powers-under-the-terrorism-act-2000-quarterly-update-to-december-2014/operation-of-police-powers-under-the-terrorism-act-2000-and-subsequent-legislation-arrests-outcomes-and-stops-and-searches-quarterly-update-to-31-d

'Glorification' is a very soft label and can be arbitrarily instrumentalized by those in power to define. The increase in numbers can mean they are more 'sensitive' now in censoring deviant political opinions. It can also means there's an increasing willingness to denounce others. Probably both.

You only have to look at Germany to see how arbitrarily labels like 'glorification' can be instrumentalized. Ever since 1977/78 the left radicals (also me) were suspects of terroristic 'support' Now they need those young people, and all of a sudden the right radicals are suspects. Some of the anti-muslim comments here on Thaivisa Forum could already cause a police investigation in Germany now. And all of a sudden I am politically correct now for Germans, without ever changing any of my opinion. Reminds me of "1984" somehow.

Australia always has had a few Muslims after the first convicts arrived in 1788. They came from other British colonies such as Malaya. These people happily integrated into the society. It was only in the 1970's that many more Muslims arrived due to an open door policy on all races. These people also had intentions of a better life. It was during the 1980's that more extreme Muslims from Lebanon and parts of Africa arrived with ideas of Sharia law. These people were not the potential terrorists, instead they targeted the children of former migrants. In many cases these children were struggling at school and were not allowed to mix with non Muslims when they reached their teens. Many of the Muslim schools were deficient in teaching them anything that conflicted with the teachings of Islam and were way behind the normal medium for basic education. It is mostly these children of migrants that ISIL presents as some sort of ideal for them. This is the lesson for letting in the mass migration of Muslims to Europe now. The children of this flood will bite the hand that fed them. Cheers to all the welcome you give them. Notice that these "migrants" are not going to the first place that will give them refuge. They are targeting countries that will give them a free hand out.

Australia always has had a few Muslims after the first convicts arrived in 1788. They came from other British colonies such as Malaya. These people happily integrated into the society. It was only in the 1970's that many more Muslims arrived due to an open door policy on all races. These people also had intentions of a better life. It was during the 1980's that more extreme Muslims from Lebanon and parts of Africa arrived with ideas of Sharia law. These people were not the potential terrorists, instead they targeted the children of former migrants. In many cases these children were struggling at school and were not allowed to mix with non Muslims when they reached their teens. Many of the Muslim schools were deficient in teaching them anything that conflicted with the teachings of Islam and were way behind the normal medium for basic education. It is mostly these children of migrants that ISIL presents as some sort of ideal for them. This is the lesson for letting in the mass migration of Muslims to Europe now. The children of this flood will bite the hand that fed them. Cheers to all the welcome you give them. Notice that these "migrants" are not going to the first place that will give them refuge. They are targeting countries that will give them a free hand out.

Lebanese in Australian are majority Christian (55%). Turkish Muslim population is forecast to exceed the Lebanese in the next 5 - 10 years, as far as I know there have been no major problems with the Turkish Muslim community. The youth that have succumbed to Daesh propaganda as usually from main stream schools, not private Islamic schools.

Cheers.

too much Leo last night??? Who says Muslims don't want to assimilate? The thing is we have to give them options how to do!

I got the impression that Muslims are for you all terrorists. In many EU countries we have Muslims in the government ot parliaments. In your eyes they are sent by ISIS for espionage? There is more in this world than only white and black, Laddie!

In the muslim world it is very much black and white, there are no shades of grey....laddie.

You are muslim...or you are not...laddie.

Cheers.

In the muslim world it is very much black and white, there are no shades of grey....laddie.

BS. It's mostly Muslims that fight each other in the Middle East.

Cheers.

BS. It's mostly Muslims that fight each other in the Middle East.

B.S: and all Christians that fight in Eastern Europe........so what?

How much of this increase is due to an increased number of potential terrorists, and how much is down to improved intelligence etc.?

299 people arrested, how many were Muslim?

OK, probably most of them, but even if it's all of them it's still an insignificant fraction of the British Muslim population.

Doesn't stop the usual suspects from posting their ignorant rubbish, though.

Islamic terrorism is a major world problem, but demonising all Muslims and calling them terrorists or spies for terrorists or supporters of terrorists and claiming that all Muslims want to conquer us and force us to live under strict Sharia law is nonsense.

BTW, despite the headline, this is nowhere near a record for terrorism arrests in the UK.

In August 1971 342 suspected terrorists were arrested in one day!

Between August 1971 and December 1975 a total of 1,981 suspected terrorists were arrested.

That was in just one small part of the UK, not all of it.

As we all know, that policy of internment without trial in Northern Ireland had one effect and one effect only; increased support for the terrorists!

I hope the government has remembered that lesson and does not intend a similar policy of internment without trial for suspected Islamic terrorists.

Of course, where sufficient evidence exists to charge an individual, then they should be prosecuted and if found guilty suitably punished to the full extent of the law.

Crap that I did as a kid (we all did) would get me thrown in the hoosgaw today under terrorism laws.

Donate money to an organization that rescues abused camels from cruel owners? Should have known better.

Mail order a rocket engine and a few pounds of gunpowder from the back of a magazine? You're gone.

Call the Pentagon and ask if they have Prince Albert in a can? Latex glove time.

What a load of rubbish, could you supply the address of the camel abusers as I would like to send them a donation, something that ugly should never have made it this far, come to think of it neither should the mother in law.

As an inveterate gunpowder experimentor as a kid I find this very amusing and the only thing I know about abusing camels is how to increase their indurance with two bricks; but would greatly appreciate enlightenment on the incaceraration of Prince Albert, I would have thought that living with Vicky was punishment enough.