Terror in Bangkok creates a new headache — for China

webfact

Terror in Bangkok creates a new headache — for China
By Simon Denyer
THE WASHINGTON POST

BEIJING – As evidence trickles in that Chinese nationals may have played a role in last month’s Bangkok bomb attack, the government in Beijing has a headache.

Unrest among the downtrodden Muslim Uighur minority in China’s western Xinjiang region has turned violent in recent years, with several attacks blamed by Beijing on Islamist radicals among the community.

But China’s attempt to control the issue is complicated by the fact that its “Xinjiang problem” is no longer a local, self-contained issue but an increasingly internationalized one that may affect its relations with the Muslim world.

Thai police say the suspected ringleader and one member of a group that carried out the bomb attack on a Hindu shrine in Bangkok that left 20 people dead were traveling on Chinese passports.

Full story: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2015/09/10/terror-in-bangkok-creates-a-new-headache-for-china/

-- The Washington Post 2015-09-10

See I told you guys these people weren't Turkish

On the flipside, Immigration will be looking much more closely at supposed Turks and their passports who pass through immigration now. That shouldn't be a worry for any with valid passports though. Just an inconvenience.

FYI: the UYGHUR speak a local language very similar to Turkish-its even mutually understanding. Ditto for Kazakstan, Kyrgizstan, Uzbekstan etc. Chinese currently have very easy entry to TH. It looks like a people smuggling ring, taking Uyghur to TH, providing them with fake or half TR-passports and hen having them travel to there. They were pissed of, as one of their routes was being detected and destroyed by Thai police.

FYI: the UYGHUR speak a local language very similar to Turkish-its even mutually understanding. Ditto for Kazakstan, Kyrgizstan, Uzbekstan etc. Chinese currently have very easy entry to TH. It looks like a people smuggling ring, taking Uyghur to TH, providing them with fake or half TR-passports and hen having them travel to there. They were pissed of, as one of their routes was being detected and destroyed by Thai police.

Its not very similar to Turkish at all, for me its no different whether you speak uyghur or thai, I can't understand both of them.

Still Arabs of some sort.

Correction Hawk,They are Caucasian.

Well they shouldn't be.

And the reason for that, is...........................?

I don't think the Saudis, for example, consider the Turks to be Arabs, not after their Ottoman adventures.

ISIL distributed over 100,000 fake Turkish passports in Thailand and Malaysia to aid the Uighurs and financed the smuggling ring.

Until this can be linked to in the mainstream media, it is nothing other than a conspiracy theory and will continue to be removed.

Your take on this is too simplistic and exactly the kind of conclusion that the 'masterminds' behind this would like you to reach. Well done for falling into the trap.

Kazakh is very similar to Russian. In fact many Kazakh's speak both Russian and Kazakh. I didnt think it was even closely similar to Turkish

What is a TR-passport?

ISIL distributed over 100,000 fake Turkish passports in Thailand and Malaysia to aid the Uighurs and financed the smuggling ring.

Until this can be linked to in the mainstream media, it is nothing other than a conspiracy theory and will continue to be removed.

The story is not so far fetched given this http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/08/growing-concern-over-trade-in-fake-and-stolen-syrian-passports

If there's a burgeoning trade in fake Syrian passports, it's not much of a stretch there's a demand for Turkish ones also. And given where we are, fake passports hardly 'news', is it.

So how is Prayut's 2014 Security Agreement with China working?

The alleged mastermind travelling on a Chinese passport returns to China a day before the Shrine bombing through Bangledesh. And not a word from the Chinese since the bombing. In fact is doesn't seem Prayut has even asked them for assistance.

Maybe expecting anything in return from the Chinese such as real security support is too much to ask.

I think the headline discounts the possibility that the Chinese government may be thrilled that their adversaries in Xianjiang are getting all kinds of international press as terrorists. Makes it easier to crack down on them without the irritation of world opinion.

The article (and some of its links) seems the be better than the headline...