Policed called to my wifes family home about farang living here

It is happening everywhere.

The police have been told to check the whereabouts of all Farangs living in their area.

In my area immigration are now putting retirement extension applications 'under consideration' pending a house visit.

But not, AFAIK, for those who are under the Nakhon Sawan Immigration region.

It appears to me that knowledge of the Law should be understood by all parties, this followed by a huge word CONSISTANCY. and it seems the latter is the major issue giving the authorities a passport to enter the world of abiding by their own rules. Been like this as far back as 1989 when I first visited Thailand.

That's right. However, most don't bother and since they don't do 90 day reporting anyway and may only ever travel to Thailand once, there is rarely if ever a problem with that.

You're right that people needn't bother but it's got nothing to do with 90 day reporting.

It kind of does because the point I was trying to make is that most people who have been caught out are the ones who have to do 90 day reporting. That's the whole purpose - to report where you are staying every 90 days. Immigration has your address and if they notice that you also haven't separately registered using the TM28 or 30 or whatever the number is, that's how they catch you.

Tourists only stay in THailand temporarily. Many move around and they have no fixed address. Most only stay a few days anyway and even if they stayed at a private residence booked on AirBNB, by the time this would be noticed, they would have probably already left the country.

So for all intents and purposes, it's only those who have to do 90 day reporting who need to register their address because they also happen to be residents and are most likely to be caught out for not registering.

It was reporting to the local police being discussed which has nothing to do with immigration or 90 day reporting. No one's getting caught out for not reporting to the police that I know of.

Immigration are catching out people failing to report the TM30 or failing to report a change of address TM28. Both are immigration issues and not connected to police reporting.

Tourists (tourist visa holders) can and do stay in Thailand for long periods. Most tourists stay in hotel/resorts and guest houses and those establishments will report (TM30) to immigration when the person checks in. I agree that if any foreigner (tourist or whatever you want to call them), stays at a private residence immigration will not know unless they are informed. Immigration are only really interested in TM30's for private residences that a foreigner calls home regardless of the visa they have.

If someone enters with a tourist visa or non-imm visas and has no need to step in an immigration office then the TM30 issue will never come up. You only have to report a change of address to immigration so if someone entered with a tourist/non-imm visa and went to the address given on the TM6 there is nothing more they need to do. They don't need to report to immigration. They are supposed to report to the police but as said thats not expected or enforced.

It really isn't just people with 1 year stays getting caught. People with multi entry Non-Imm visas that exit/enter every 3 months are also getting caught out when having interaction with immigration getting extensions, residence certificates etc.

• Like 1

It appears to me that knowledge of the Law should be understood by all parties, this followed by a huge word CONSISTANCY. and it seems the latter is the major issue giving the authorities a passport to enter the world of abiding by their own rules. Been like this as far back as 1989 when I first visited Thailand.

Do the law enforcement agencies in your country of origin follow a strict code of "consistency" or are they allowed to exercise discretion?

I live in a southern Sisaket province village. A few days ago while I was in town my wife tells me she was visited at home "by immigration". They knew that a falang lived at our home and asked her what nationality he was. They were not interested further when told I was English. They apparently asked her which other houses in the village had falang living in them and were any of them Turkish.

I said it was unlikely they were immigration or they would have had details of me and my nationality. They were not in any uniform she replied and agreed she had just assumed they were immigration. Probably ordinary police or some regional/national immigration investigation branch. Cue briefing from me about the importance of asking to see visiting officials credentials.

Nothing to worry about (unless you are Turkish). Only thing similar I had was when in an Ubon falang bar some 3 months ago (ie before Erewan). A couple of plain clothes guys came in and asked all falang to show their passports or any other indication of nationality. I didn't have mine and they simply asked where I lived and what nationality I was. Come to think of it as I write this, I didn't ask for their ID then eithertongue.png

It's almost seven years ago that the police showed up at the MIL house in Sukhothai because they'd been told a farang was living there and they wanted details. In fact I was living in CM at the time and had simply been seen visiting the family on several occasions, once explained the police were happy enough and left. The police and Immigration have been doing this for years.

• Like 1

Two simple questions; Is this practice applied only in some Isaan states and are Tourist Visa holders are not affected? Right?

I had a police visit a few years ago in Issan. They asked for a photo and my passport details. I wasn't there at the time and had already left Thailand for work.

I was staying 3 or 4 times a year on Visa Exempt during breaks from work. At the time I was told the local police had been instructed by higher ups to have a register of Farangs in their area in case of emergencies. This was confirmed by a Pol LT relative.

Edited by Farma
  • Like 1

i live in a smallish town in the north - east as well. a few weeks ago gf and i lodged my first ever tm30 with the local police as i knew i would need it for my 30 day extension. have never bothered before.

3 police guys attended to the matter, none had ever seen the form. actually asked where we got it from, if immigration had given it to us, where over the moon when we told them we downloaded it.

several copies were made, a page long handwritten report attached, the original given back to me, signed etc.

the whole thing took 35 minutes.

now, i don't know which n/e town you live in but i hope i have not started someting up here...wink.png

Happy to hear its not just me. Was starting to get paro as I was flying a drone very close to were they live and work smile.png thanks for the replies!

I had "The Garda" visit the Gaf last Month I wasn't Home, so me Wife just filled in the paper work...no bleedin drama.. smile.pngsmile.png enjoy your stay in Thailand.

Slainte...

The police have been told to check the whereabouts of all Farangs living in their area.

In my area immigration are now putting retirement extension applications 'under consideration' pending a house visit.

I have heard this is happening on the grape vine.Those immi boys are gunna be busy and ask for petrol money,no doubt.Maybe this a new way to extort money,no petrol money,no visa or slow visa.It's BS of course,you have the right documents,whether your in the office or at home.Mines not due til March,so will see how this progress

It kind of does because the point I was trying to make is that most people who have been caught out are the ones who have to do 90 day reporting. That's the whole purpose - to report where you are staying every 90 days. Immigration has your address and if they notice that you also haven't separately registered using the TM28 or 30 or whatever the number is, that's how they catch you.

Tourists only stay in THailand temporarily. Many move around and they have no fixed address. Most only stay a few days anyway and even if they stayed at a private residence booked on AirBNB, by the time this would be noticed, they would have probably already left the country.

So for all intents and purposes, it's only those who have to do 90 day reporting who need to register their address because they also happen to be residents and are most likely to be caught out for not registering.

Not necessarily. You can be on tourist visa or an O multi and need a certificated of residence. You go to your immigration office to apply and they discover that your address is not on fill. Guess who pays. I know of a few that has happened to.

I'm aware of the law applying to all, but I'm trying to point out that because most tourists are only here for a short time and have little dealings with immigration other than on entry and point of departure, not to mention they probably don't know or care about the law, it's unlikely to affect them.

Non-O is different though. For all intents and purposes, a non-O multi means you are residing in Thailand. Same as a non-B multi.

I was referring more to holders of visa exemptions and maybe tourist visas, but essentially visa exempt holders as they typically have absolutely no dealings with immigration. Whereas tourist visa holders might, especially if they go to extend their stay at immigration.

That's right. However, most don't bother and since they don't do 90 day reporting anyway and may only ever travel to Thailand once, there is rarely if ever a problem with that.

You're right that people needn't bother but it's got nothing to do with 90 day reporting.

It was reporting to the local police being discussed which has nothing to do with immigration or 90 day reporting. No one's getting caught out for not reporting to the police that I know of.

Immigration are catching out people failing to report the TM30 or failing to report a change of address TM28. Both are immigration issues and not connected to police reporting.

Tourists (tourist visa holders) can and do stay in Thailand for long periods. Most tourists stay in hotel/resorts and guest houses and those establishments will report (TM30) to immigration when the person checks in. I agree that if any foreigner (tourist or whatever you want to call them), stays at a private residence immigration will not know unless they are informed. Immigration are only really interested in TM30's for private residences that a foreigner calls home regardless of the visa they have.

If someone enters with a tourist visa or non-imm visas and has no need to step in an immigration office then the TM30 issue will never come up. You only have to report a change of address to immigration so if someone entered with a tourist/non-imm visa and went to the address given on the TM6 there is nothing more they need to do. They don't need to report to immigration. They are supposed to report to the police but as said thats not expected or enforced.

It really isn't just people with 1 year stays getting caught. People with multi entry Non-Imm visas that exit/enter every 3 months are also getting caught out when having interaction with immigration getting extensions, residence certificates etc.

I think I wasn't being clear enough. For all intents and purposes multi entry non-imm visas are also for people living here - not just 1 year extensions. So sure, they could also be caught out as nearly everyone who holds one spends a substantial amount of time in Thailand.

No one is going to go to the trouble and expense of getting a non-imm visa to spend maybe 2-3 weeks in the country or even 2-3 months per year, if they could either use a visa waiver or tourist visa instead. So non-imm visa holders are residents, just temporary ones though.

I was referring mainly to visa exempt holders. Even tourist visa holders who have to seek an extension of stay are going to come into contact with immigration and could, theoretically be caught out. Holders of visa exemptions, who often stay only a couple of days in Thailand, perhaps just 1 or up to 6 or 7 don't have much to worry about even though everyone is theoretically covered by this law.

I have heard this is happening on the grape vine.Those immi boys are gunna be busy and ask for petrol money,no doubt.Maybe this a new way to extort money,no petrol money,no visa or slow visa.It's BS of course,you have the right documents,whether your in the office or at home.Mines not due til March,so will see how this progress

nobody in this thread had to pay any money , so don't start with this BS

When I went to immigration in Nongkhai when I was 3 days here to get a form for my driving license they hit me for B800 and said we should of came in and imformed them within 48 of an Alien at the address. No mention of imforming the police. Strange as I got forms in Phuket immigration with not a mention of imforming them 1 month late. Although my landlord in Phuket is high up the ladder in customs.

When I went to immigration in Nongkhai when I was 3 days here to get a form for my driving license they hit me for B800 and said we should of came in and imformed them within 48 of an Alien at the address. No mention of imforming the police. Strange as I got forms in Phuket immigration with not a mention of imforming them 1 month late. Although my landlord in Phuket is high up the ladder in customs.

Police aka BIB and immigration are two separate units. They are both under the The Royal Thai Police but operate separately.

Police aka BIB and immigration are two separate units. They are both under the The Royal Thai Police but operate separately.

What do " customs" have to do with the immigration or police services?

• Like 1