Are 150cc sport bikes practical?

Still Living

Or should they be avoided?

I'm looking to buy a bike to run around the city. The obvious choice is a twist and go auto. Storage and simplicity is good.

Also spotted a used cbr150 in my price range. Looks nice, would be more fun for sure. Just never rode a small sport bike. Had a 650cc in the states.

Is a cbr150 that much faster then a 125cc scooter? I like it, but I'm thinking it's all the negatives of a motorcycle (manual and no storage) and none of the positives ( power and performance).

Anyone have one of these little bikes? How do they do in heavy traffic around the city?

Yeah I'm already brainstorming how to do my market runs. Duffle bag over the back? Hmm maybe I need a beater scooter and a bike.

I won't be adding top boxes and other ugly crap to it.

I'll deal with the inconvenience if it's worth it. Just wondering how much faster it is then a 150cc scooter. It's more sexy for sure. Scooters are practical but they bore me to tears.

I owned a 150cbr for years... Carrying capacity is limited but I often used to hang shopping bags from the mirrors. 2lt. jug of milk no problem. Those mesh cargo nets work well on the pillion seat. Do both and it's a fair bit. Wouldn't put a top box on one but if you don't particularly care (you do) about looks, it ups the load capacity. No comparison vs. the twist and go bikes for performance!

You can also use a tank bag. I did.

150cbr is my fave.

Gold standard for lane splitting.

Have ridden it all over Thailand n Laos.

I prefer older model but injectied is okay.

My top box goes on and off easily.

Plenty fast n quick.

Yes, go with the Honda city bike racer.

Edited by papa al

I have a cb300f and just keep a string bag under the seat for when I gotta carry something. Folds up tiny, palm of your hand. Wear it like a back pack.

I've carried groceries, 2 x 6 pack beers, motorcycle exhaust, spare helmet.

Get the 150. Buy the bag from lazada, eBay or sport stores locally

post-92327-14432521700755_thumb.png

How about a rucksac, more stable on your back and carries more than a dufflebag?

I use a couple of wet bags (stuff bags) and two or three cam buckle straps, very secure on the passenger seat, but don't buy the cheap straps they are a nightmare.

The CBR150 is too small for me (read lanky fat bastard) but what fantastic value for money, if it fits you, why would you not buy one?

Check out this new 150cc scooter from Yamaha. Search "Yamaha Exciter 150", many videos on Youtube. I bought one and it is fantastic fun. More practical than a sport bike but just as much fun. It does not have storage space, so some of the options suggested above would still apply. There is also a thread here on TV, have a look at my posts there: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/837804-yamaha-exciter-150 ,

Check out this new 150cc scooter from Yamaha. Search "Yamaha Exciter 150", many videos on Youtube. I bought one and it is fantastic fun. More practical than a sport bike but just as much fun. It does not have storage space, so some of the options suggested above would still apply. There is also a thread here on TV, have a look at my posts there: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/837804-yamaha-exciter-150 ,

Still got a clutch though!

Had 3 150 CBR's over 8 years but switched to PCX's about 3 years ago and wouldn't go back to a CBR. PCX so much more practical around town, though I have to admit to looking longingly at CBR's and the Yamaha R15's when I pass the motorbike shops. If it's fun you want then CBR is the way to go but around town the twist and goes beat them hands down.

Funny you bring up the Yamaha exciter. I actually live in Vietnam and that is THE bike to have out here. Extremely popular. Well, if you're a 17 year old Viet guy anyways. A group of about twenty just came riding down my street.

I saw one with a center rack with hooks on it. Can hang some shopping there. No under seat storage though so I'd have to carry my helmet into places. Still a cool bike and a great value at around $2,000 usd here. Not sure on the Thai price?

Still I'd rather have a proper motorcycle OR a twist and go such as the Yamaha nouvo. Still trying to decide... I like the draw string bag idea. Can throw my lunch and a few beers in there. Cheers guys.

post-246366-0-65021000-1443286733_thumb.

Edited by Still Living

Ok let's not beat around the bush here. What I really want to know is what will get me the most girls. The CBR IS SEXIER but a scooter is better for carrying two girls back to my condo. Even has a hook to hang a few bags of som tam. Ahh decisions. ?

If that's the main concern... get a car. laugh.png

Still got a clutch though!

For me, that was the main selling point (and the 5 speed gear box). I absolutely can't stand automatics. They sound like snowmobiles with wheels. I am an old school rider and I want full control of the bike. Going up and down through the gears and listening to the great exhaust note this little bike has is what makes it fun. The clutch on this bike can be operated with two fingers. If you just want transportation, I guess it doesn't matter. For someone who enjoys "riding", this is a great choice. To each his own.

As Still Living posted, I believe this bike was released in Vietnam about a year before Thailand. There is hook under the seat to lock your helmet. I have never lost a helmet here in 13 years, although it does happen. The price I paid in Thailand is listed on the link I gave. As for the best bike to get a girl; they couldn't care less about the motorcycle. If that is what you rely on to get a girl, you won't. smile.png

Edited by silverhawk_usa

Ok let's not beat around the bush here. What I really want to know is what will get me the most girls. The CBR IS SEXIER but a scooter is better for carrying two girls back to my condo. Even has a hook to hang a few bags of som tam. Ahh decisions.

Do you want to carry more girls or attract them?

Attract them with something over 600 and get an old 150 for city driving.

Sent from my c64

Just joking about the girls thing. I've done just fine while driving my beat up Nouvo. ?

I sat on the Exciter at Yamaha the other day. Good looking bike but feels like a Nouvo. If I'm going to get a scooter, I'll get one that's auto and has storage under the seat. Just my opinion. It is a sweet little bike though and I'd love to test drive one. They should make an aftermarket bag that fills the space between your legs. That would be perfect! Any engineers out there?

Bumping this to say I got the chance to ride a new exciter last night and I'm impressed! Fun little bike. Put a smile on my face for sure. ?

Now I'm thinking this bike could be the best of both worlds. Small, light, nimble, can hang bags from a center hook.

Also more fun then your average auto scooter. Might have to get one! Can anyone compare the performance of the CBR150 vs the Yamaha Exciter?

Yamaha%20Exciter%20GP150.JPG

The Exciter is lighter by about 30 pounds, if I remember correctly (you can google the specs). Exciter much easier maneuvering around traffic and parking. Seating position more conducive to carrying passengers. The Exciter is a 5 speed and the CBR is 6 speed. The Exciter has similar tire sizes and folding foot pegs, so the lean angle is about the same. Of course, you have a much larger fuel capacity on the CBR. I think actual performance times aren't that relevant as it depends so much on the skill of the rider. It all depends on what is important to you.

Bumping this to say I got the chance to ride a new exciter last night and I'm impressed! Fun little bike. Put a smile on my face for sure. ?

Now I'm thinking this bike could be the best of both worlds. Small, light, nimble, can hang bags from a center hook.

Also more fun then your average auto scooter. Might have to get one! Can anyone compare the performance of the CBR150 vs the Yamaha Exciter?

Actually I think it's neither world. The scooters you talked about before have storage space under the seat or space at your feet. They are twist and go and nimble in heavy traffic. You then talked about a CBR which is manual but more sporty etc.

The Exciter is probably the fastest scooter around but it is also manual and has zero storage space. So it has none of the advantages that a scooter can have. Exactly like the CBR. The difference is that a CBR would destroy an Exciter on the open road. The CBR can do over 140kph, sometimes 150kph. I'm sure the exciter can't do that. Even on some fun twisty roads the sports bike would handle way better. The CBR would give you the option of have some fun trips outside of town hitting the mountains etc. Yes the Exciter would get you there too but it would be a totally different kind of ride. I used to own a CBR150 and it is actually very nimble in traffic as well and many here will tell you the old style CBR is probably the best bike there is in heavy traffic.

Bottom line, if you want practicality for city living, like commuting or shopping trips etc then an auto scooter is great with the advantages it has, put a box on the back and you are good to go. You mentioned the CBR has disadvantages for this but the exciter has the same disadvantages, so therefore what is the point? If you are going to go down that road of having a manual clutch and no storage space then get a CBR150 or even take a look at the Yamaha R15. I believe the exciter uses the same engine as the R15 but it has been tuned differently to make it more practical around town and just like the CBR, the R15 is a sports bike and would would handle way better the the exciter.

I can't recommend which way you should go(auto scooter or manual) as that's your choice, but for me the Exciter, while a good bike, has no advantages over the two choices you have.

Excellent points Macknife. I agree with you on most of this. At first I thought the Exciter was the worst of both worlds. Only after riding it and seeing some of the after market parts I changed my mind.

The no storage part sucks... But you can mount a hook for hanging bags in the center. Light weight bike, short wheel base, low center of gravity makes it good for cutting through traffic.

A ton of after market support and the exciter brand new is the same price as the used cbr I'm looking at. It's still kinda fugly and scooterish but if I can have a fun scooter that's somewhat practical for $2K usd I might go for it. Thanks for the comment.

How does the Exciter compare size wise to the other small bikes, I am 6 foot and feel the Wave is a little on the small size?

I like the engine size, the light weight and low c of g.

The Exciter is a small bike. It looks like a regular scooter but I was impressed when I sat on it. The bigger wheels / tires makes it feel much more stable then your average scooter. The seat is lower then a cbr. Not sure on the exact specs.

It's bigger then a wave but not much. However the bike feels way different then a wave, which feels like a bicycle with a motor attached.

I wouldn't choose the exciter for touring, but for tooling around the city it would be a fun bike.

I've ruled out the CBR and now I'm torn between the exciter and a nouvo.

Edit: I've heard several people say "I heard the Exciter has quality issues". Can anyone point me to these claims? Thanks!

Edited by Still Living