Ticket for helmet cam

SooKee

Not seen this one before. Saw a cop pull a falang over in Patong and gave a ticket for wearing a helmet cam. I know the police in some countries are cracking down on them but didn't realise it'd caught on here.

Maybe it is a safety drive, or maybe with so much rain of late there's a need to up the coffee money takings, and maybe disuade people from wearing them so they can't video the cops taking bribes.

Another one to watch for.

Edited by Pick of Penang

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was stood on the corner of Soi Sansabai waiting to meet friends to go and eat and overheard the conversation between the cop and the rider, stood right next to us.

AFAIK helmet cameras are legal, would be nice to see the ticket, will probably say driving without helmet or license.

Was stood on the corner of Soi Sansabai waiting to meet friends to go and eat and overheard the conversation between the cop and the rider, stood right next to us.

AFAIK helmet cameras are legal, would be nice to see the ticket, will probably say driving without helmet or license.

Not sure about that. It was a long conversation. Cop was telling him if he wanted to use a cam he should use a bike mounted one. Made the guy unstrap and take off the cam before letting him go saying 'safety, safety'. The cop's English was very good. No offer of settle there and then either. Trouble is we never know most of the time what they may have recently adopted recently.

I would not have thought a helmet cam was illegal. Maybe it was not in a secure bracket and safety issue. Interesting one ...

No, the camera was in a proper rig. Straps and mount. Everything. But he had to take it off.

Would be a real dumb move if full face helmets were deemed illegal. Heavily tinted or reflective visors obscuring the face I could understand. But not just all full face. Then again TIT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When the cops write out a dubious ticket (not based in law), one of the faves is upakorn mai khrop = incomplete equipment. The failure to specify generally means they have made it up, there is no law or they have no idea whether it is illegal or not but they are under pressure to collect their cash quota or ticket quota.

From what i hear having a full face helmet is illegal now(even honda told me this), so wouldnt surprise me if the helmet cam is also illegal

what, what?

Did you just say that my nice new free Yamaha R helmet is illegal?!

Full face helmets are legal, reflective vizors are illegal.

LOL does anyone really expect that when you get shaken down by a Thai cop someone actually broke a law. A friend got stopped by on of the usual random road block check stops, after they found she had not committed any violation- gave her a 500 baht fine for having a dirty motorcycle.

From what i hear having a full face helmet is illegal now(even honda told me this), so wouldnt surprise me if the helmet cam is also illegal

what, what?

Did you just say that my nice new free Yamaha R helmet is illegal?!

Full face helmets are legal, reflective vizors are illegal.
just out of interest, do you know why the reflective visors are illegal?

If you have lots of extra cash, and you want to have the latest development in helmets, take a look at this. It's only US$1,500.

http://www.skully.com/#smartest-helmet

Here's another:

http://www.gizmag.com/intelligent-cranium-helmet-ic-r/38165/pictures#1

But I don't see one with a built-in video camera.

These are not the kinds of helmets that you will leave hanging on over your rear-view mirror while you're in the shopping center, unless you're really loaded.

Edited by MrBrad

And if this guy hadn't had a helmet camera, his video would not have gone viral on YouTube. He still would have been valiant, but few would know.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/859518-valiant-thai-biker-boyfriend-saves-girl-with-a-hug-in-crazy-crash-video/?utm_source=newsletter-20151001-0753&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

I had a some what, of a "strange" stop the other night,, My girl was riding us home on our scooter a couple of nights ago, I had been drinking, so she drove.. 2 BIB waved us over, near Thong Lo,, and while ignoring her, No asking for license, registration, nothing, came straight to me, and said in pretty good English, "Who is this lady?" I simply said, "My girlfriend, we've lived together over 3 tears",, They both smiled truly genuine looking smiles, wyed us, and said, "Thank you, have a nice night",, and waved us on,,, was just strange I thought. Had she been dressed like a bar girl, etc, I could kinda see it, but she was dressed in her polo work shirt, with the resturant name on it,, Was just odd, as like I said, They didn't ask either one of us for any ID's,, insurance, nothing,,

If the reason is so that the police can see the approaching motorcyclists face, then what about dark tinted car windows which I thought were banned years ago? But then that is another law ignored after a couple of months.coffee1.gif

Why would reflective visors make sense? I just got one and for the first time ever, i can actually see something while im driving. Even at night. No more dirty transparent glass or rocks in my eyes

They can be used to hide the face of criminal during the commission of an crime.

So that means I must put my newly knitted balaclava back in the draw..............................coffee1.gif

I had a some what, of a "strange" stop the other night,, My girl was riding us home on our scooter a couple of nights ago, I had been drinking, so she drove.. 2 BIB waved us over, near Thong Lo,, and while ignoring her, No asking for license, registration, nothing, came straight to me, and said in pretty good English, "Who is this lady?" I simply said, "My girlfriend, we've lived together over 3 tears",, They both smiled truly genuine looking smiles, wyed us, and said, "Thank you, have a nice night",, and waved us on,,, was just strange I thought. Had she been dressed like a bar girl, etc, I could kinda see it, but she was dressed in her polo work shirt, with the resturant name on it,, Was just odd, as like I said, They didn't ask either one of us for any ID's,, insurance, nothing,,

Just being proactive in case you were terrorists?

Ooops, hang on - Proactive RTP is an oxymoron? Just thinking. whistling.gif

LOL does anyone really expect that when you get shaken down by a Thai cop someone actually broke a law. A friend got stopped by on of the usual random road block check stops, after they found she had not committed any violation- gave her a 500 baht fine for having a dirty motorcycle.

That is actually a law.

I can fully appreciate that under the circumstances it was wholly ridiculous and gratuitous on the part of the cop.

The law actually refers to lights being dirty and thus not visible.