At the UN, Prayut invokes HM the King and his work for Thailand's success

webfact

At the UN, Prayut invokes HM the King and his work for Thailand's success
Supalak Ganjanakhundee
The Nation
New York

NEW YORK: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, in his address to the United Nations General Assembly, yesterday highlighted His Majesty the King's Sufficiency Economy Philosophy as a key to the success of Thailand's development.

Thailand's socio-economic success of the past three decades - its ascension to the rank of middle-income country, and its current status as an equal partner for development, owed a great deal to the Sufficiency Economy Philosophy of His Majesty the King, Prayut said.

Under the theme; "The United Nation at 70 - the road ahead to peace, security and human rights", the 70th session of the UN General Assembly was held on Monday and Tuesday.

"It is my conviction that Thailand will be stable only when we have developed our-selves into a nation filled with virtuous, competent and enlightened citizens, who live their lives responsibly for the greater good," Prayut said.

It is the first time Prayut has attended the UN General Assembly since the May 22 coup toppled the elected civilian government.

During a meeting with Prayut on Sunday, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon raised his concerns over the shrinking democratic image of Thailand.

The UN chief emphasised the need for the Thai government to uphold freedom of speech and assembly, which are basic human rights.

Prayut told the General Assembly that Thailand has always accorded priority to protecting and promoting human rights for all groups of people.

"We proudly served as a member of the Human Rights Council from 2010 to 2013 and as its Chair during 2010 to 2011," he said.

"During our tenure, we advocated ourselves as a bridge builder among nations and groups of nations with diverging views and ideologies. We uphold the principle of non-discrimination and constructive partnerships. We also support the capacity building of individual nations in their human rights protection and promotion efforts," he said.

But, Prayut neither mentioned human rights practices at home, nor made any strong commitments of his government on human rights protection. On democracy, Prayut said his government was undertaking reform towards democracy. "Hopefully in the process, the reforms will help us to achieve security, prosperity, sustainability and pave the way towards resilient democracy," he said.

Some of the major reforms included amending laws and strengthening the justice system; improving public-sector efficiency; creating trust, social reconciliation and unity; and harmonising social order, he said.

"What we do today will become tomorrow's history. Therefore, we must make the best of today, so that 10 or 20 years from now we will be remembered for our actions. We want Thailand to be stronger, better, and become more actively involved in the work of the UN to shape a brighter future for us all," he said.

During his speech, Prayut told the General Assembly that Thailand had applied for a seat as a non-permanent member of the UN Security Council (UNSC) for the term 2017-2018 and asked members to support the bid.

"We believe that we can play a constructive role in bridging different cultures and beliefs," he said.

Meanwhile, Asean yesterday reaffirmed its support for Thailand's bid for the non-permanent seat on the UNSC and requested that Thailand coordinate this endeavour with permanent representatives of Asean members in New York.

The reaffirmation was made during a meeting of Asean foreign ministers on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly. The support means all Asean members would collectively help Thailand to campaign for the seat, according to officials at the Foreign Ministry.

The vote for the seat would take place in the middle of next year.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/At-the-UN-Prayut-invokes-HM-the-King-and-his-work--30269937.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-10-01

I love the Nation reporting ... Prayut goes there often then, does he?

"It is the first time Prayut has attended the UN General Assembly since the May 22 coup toppled the elected civilian government."

not yet, but after this scintillating speech he is sure to be invited almost every week to give an update on the massive progress he is making

"We believe that we can play a constructive role in bridging different cultures and beliefs," he said.

Yeah, show them how you tackle problems with Royingyas or Muslims in the south or at least with differences in your own country, e.g. South and North or "Red" and "Yellow"....

"It is my conviction that Thailand will be stable only when we have developed our-selves into a nation filled with virtuous, competent and enlightened citizens, who live their lives responsibly for the greater good," Prayut said.

And we will call it 'Opposite reality land'.

35 years ago my friends and I used to call Thailand by the moniker of Fantasy Island. I think we were on the right track.

Der plane, der plane ..........

words fail me (as they must under TVF Rules) however

"Thailand has always accorded priority to protecting and promoting human rights for all groups of people" should have been qualified by "except when those pesky citizens want to vote"

I thought someone took a big steaming dump on my laptop, but it was just Prayuth's speech, wow, what a crock.

Well then mate, you'd better get your skates on and dissolve the RTP, cut military spending in half and remove half of the commisoned officers in its grossly swollen ranks and disqualify about 70% of politicians (this goes for the local politicians as well ) from ever practicing again, because it is these people who are running/serving/protecting your country that are made up of exactly the polar opposite values of virtuosity, competence and enlightenment.

Ignorance, greed and moral bankruptcy are other words that spring to mind. Maybe he was just lost in translation.