US: Multiple deaths in school shooting in Oregon State

webfact

US: Multiple deaths in school shooting in Oregon State

ROSEBURG: -- In the US at least 13 people have been killed in a shooting in Oregon State. It’s understood the gunman who was believed to be in his twenties is dead.

Oregon Attorney General Ellen Rosenbaum said at least 20 others were wounded at the Umpqua Community College campus of 3,000 pupils in Roseburg, Oregon,

It’s understood one of the wounded was a female who had been shot in the chest. There is no immediate information on the condition of the other wounded victims.

The Douglas County Sheriff’s office said on one social media site that officers had responded to a shooting at the college following emergency calls at just after 10.30 am local time.

The shooting is the latest incident of gun violence in the United States, raising demands for more gun control and more effective treatment of the mentally ill.

Recent episodes of gun violence include the massacre of nine people at a South Carolina church last spring and the killing of five US servicemen in Chattanooga, Tennessee.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-10-02

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ho hum.

The American mass shooting of the month club with obligatory Obama gun control plea that will go nowhere.

No, I'm not minimizing this tragedy for the people involved.

I'm just facing the reality that Americans are going to do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to prevent such events in future.

They really are like clockwork now and nothing is ever done as far as changing the gun crazy culture. Pathetic.

Now we will hear the predictable ... but guns are in the constitution. Yeah for a militia. Not for shooting up schools.

Edited by Jingthing

"...Eighteen-year-old Kortney Moore of Rogue River told the Roseburg News-Review newspaper that she was in a writing class when a shot came through a window. The gunman then entered her classroom and told people to get on the ground. Ms. Moore said the man started asking people to stand up and state their religion and then opened fire..."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/oct/1/umpqua-community-college-shooting-20-injured-repor/

Cue the gun nuts with the old "if we had more guns this wouldn't of happened" or "if he used a knife you wouldn't ban knives" or "it's always illegally gained guns" used in these incidents or any of the rest of bullshit they spout to avoid having their guns taken and proper gun control laws. Never ending.

Gunman opens fire at Oregon college; at least 12 killed
By JEFF BARNARD

ROSEBURG, Ore. (AP) — A gunman opened fire at an Oregon community college Thursday, killing at least a dozen people before dying in a shootout with police, authorities said.

The killer, identified only as a 20-year-old man, invaded a classroom and demanded that people stand up and state their religion before spraying more bullets, one student reported.

Authorities shed no light on the gunman's motive and said they were investigating.

Oregon Attorney General Ellen Rosenblum said 13 people were dead after the attack at Umpqua Community College in Roseburg, about 180 miles south of Portland. It was not immediately clear whether that number included the gunman. State police Lt. Bill Fugate told KATU-TV that at least 20 others were hurt.

Kortney Moore told the Roseburg News-Review newspaper that she was in a writing class when a shot came through a window. The gunman entered her classroom and told people to get on the ground. The man then started asking people to stand up and state their religion and opened fire.

Lorie Andrews, who lives across the street from the campus, said she heard what sounded like fireworks followed by sirens. She walked up the road and spoke to students who had streamed out.

"One girl came out wrapped in a blanket with blood on her," Andrews said.

Hours after the attack, a visibly angry President Barack Obama spoke to reporters, saying the U.S. is becoming numb to mass shootings and that the shooters have "sickness" in their minds.

Repeating his support for tighter gun-control measures, he said thoughts and prayers are no longer enough in such situations because they do nothing to stop similar attacks from happening a few weeks or months later.

Douglas County Sheriff John Hanlin said the gunman was killed during an exchange of gunfire with officers. The sheriff did not say whether the shooter was killed by officers or took his own life.

"We locked our door, and I went out to lock up the restrooms and could hear four shots from the front of campus," UCC Foundation Executive Director Dennis O'Neill told the Roseburg newspaper.

The school has about 3,000 students. Its website was down Thursday, and a phone message left at the college was not immediately returned.

Neither state police nor the sheriff's office returned calls from The Associated Press seeking details.

The sheriff's office reported on Twitter that it received a call about the shooting at 10:38 a.m. The local fire district advised people via Twitter to stay away from the school.

Later in the day, students and faculty members were being bused to the county fairgrounds, the sheriff's office said.

Former UCC President Joe Olson, who retired in June after four years, said the school had no formal security staff, just one officer on a shift.

One of the biggest debates on campus last year was whether to post armed security officers on campus to respond to a shooting.

"I suspect this is going to start a discussion across the country about how community colleges prepare themselves for events like this," he said.

Sutherland High School Principal Justin Huntley said some of his former students were in the room where the shooting took place.

The school made counselors available for students.

"It's a very somber day," Huntley said. "You take some deep breaths and you just try to get through it."

Roseburg Public Schools Superintendent Gerry Washburn said a large number of Roseburg High School students go straight to UCC after graduation.

"We are a small, tight community, and there is no doubt that we will have staff and students that have family and friends impacted by this event," he said.

The rural town lies west of the Cascade Mountains in an area where the timber industry has struggled. In recent years, officials have tried to promote the region as a tourist destination for vineyards and outdoor activities.
___

Associated Press writers Steven Dubois in Portland, Oregon; Martha Mendoza in Sana Cruz, California; and Gene Johnson and Donna Blankinship in Seattle contributed to this report.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-10-02

Ho hum.

The American mass shooting of the month club with obligatory Obama gun control plea that will go nowhere.

No, I'm not minimizing this tragedy for the people involved.

I'm just facing the reality that Americans are going to do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to prevent such events in future.

They really are like clockwork now and nothing is ever done as far as changing the gun crazy culture. Pathetic.

Now we will hear the predictable ... but guns are in the constitution. Yeah for a militia. Not for shooting up schools.

You're right of course. This will keep happening...guaranteed. But with the timing of this incident, I hope the GOP presidential candidates get grilled about this. I expect most to regurgitate the party line, which is "2nd amendment," "guns don't kill people, people kill people," "enforce existing laws," blah blah blah. Our only hope--amazingly enough--is Donald Trump. Will he repeat the usual GOP rhetoric, or will he actually take a stand? I wonder.

This is horrible but for some reason this is the first time I don't feel any emotions. CNN is blah blah blah why did he do it and I just think he probably got a B- and wanted a B and went down to the local Walmart and got a gun and killed people. I thought Obamas speech wasn't that bad and he referenced the UK AND Australia changing their gun laws but I agree most likely nothing will be done. If a bunch of first graders in a very wealthy state in a very wealthy town " Newtown" Connecticut got slaughtered and nothing really changed how can the gun laws ever change. On the other hand there are sooo many guns n the USA I don't really know how they can change things like this happening. Does anyone on here have a real suggestion? Perhaps not use this thread to bash the USA and really offer suggestions. Id like to hear (read) them. Thanks

This is horrible but for some reason this is the first time I don't feel any emotions. CNN is blah blah blah why did he do it and I just think he probably got a B- and wanted a B and went down to the local Walmart and got a gun and killed people. I thought Obamas speech wasn't that bad and he referenced the UK AND Australia changing their gun laws but I agree most likely nothing will be done. If a bunch of first graders in a very wealthy state in a very wealthy town " Newtown" Connecticut got slaughtered and nothing really changed how can the gun laws ever change. On the other hand there are sooo many guns n the USA I don't really know how they can change things like this happening. Does anyone on here have a real suggestion? Perhaps not use this thread to bash the USA and really offer suggestions. Id like to hear (read) them. Thanks

Early reports suggest that he had problems with women. Sexual frustration, constantly rejected. America is filled with these sorts of dudes.

Early reports suggest that he had problems with women. Sexual frustration, constantly rejected. America is filled with these sorts of dudes.

I really think every country has these kind of dudes and the B to B- was sarcasm. I was going to say a girl told him he had too many zits.

The most tragic thing about this tragedy is that the biggest victims aren't the victims themselves but instead the same scapegoats that are parroted out every time this happens... the media, guns, Obama, Muslims, the shooter, etc.

I suppose it's also possible to argue that the the victims are also victims as well.

Edited by erobando

The world is full of those sort of dudes, less likely to carry guns in other countries though.

The world is full of those sort of dudes, less likely to carry guns in other countries though.

Correct!

Now we will hear the predictable - "militia".

The US Supreme Court has ruled repeatedly that the founders meant the citizens when they said "militia" in the Constitution. They didn't say army or navy, you know. A militia of citizens is necessary to maintain a free people, even against a government.

It was this militia that Paul Revere was part of. It was this militia that drove the King of England and his Redcoats off US soil. It was this militia that saw to it that the USA had it's freedom and autonomy. It was this militia that had the Tea Party in Boston Harbor.

Now many of us (about 100 million of us) look at places like the ME and the spillover into Europe and tell ourselves that shit isn't going to happen in our neighborhoods. That's true for now and for 100 years from now.

Some things are worth dying for and the members of this militia know that. Unfortunately, too many in the world have forgotten that except that our enemies haven't forgotten.

Freedom isn't free.

Cheers.

Free to kill children----------you put your finger on it neversure........................coffee1.gif

Oh instead of the usual "Cheers......you could have changed it to .........RIP

Edited by oxo1947

It was a gun free zone, and like most of these places that makes them a turkey shoot. Even the security guards were unarmed.

Yes of course...... if every student in the school had been carrying an assault rifle then it couldn't have happened... blah blah blah it was their own fault they got killed for not defending themselves properly.

Guns don't kill people blah blah blah

If, instead of 3 handguns and a rifle, he had been armed with a knife or a baseball bat he could just as easily have killed so many innocent people in such a short space of time..........

It was a gun free zone, and like most of these places that makes them a turkey shoot. Even the security guards were unarmed.

Yes of course...... if every student in the school had been carrying an assault rifle then it couldn't have happened... blah blah blah it was their own fault they got killed for not defending themselves properly.

Guns don't kill people blah blah blah

If, instead of 3 handguns and a rifle, he had been armed with a knife or a baseball bat he could just as easily have killed so many innocent people in such a short space of time..........

Gun laws haven't changed in 100 years. And guns were just as powerful 100 years ago as they are today. So how can anyone come to the conclusion that guns are now all of a sudden the problem?

These often unfortunately happen at schools and colleges, but never at banks, or police stations or airports. Kind of strange don't you think? The question gun controlists never want to ask is why are more school shootings now than ever before? Gun Free zones is one obvious answer.

Edited by Time Traveller

I saw on the US NBC news (via the CNN website oddly) that Oregon law permits registered folks to pack heat (concealed carry) on the campus. Of course they might be full of bull though.

Sadly nobody in their right minds WAS packing heat, so the crazy murderer was faced with no resistance, hence the turkey shoot.

By the time I was 12 I could shoot a 12 gauge. By the time I was 17 I had shot hundreds of rounds in an M16.

Having a dumbed-down populace who are scared at the sight of a gun just does not make sense to me.

I'd be TERRIFIED if some crazy were pointing a gun at me. I'd feel a LOT LESS terrified with my .357 Magnum on me though. I know a lot about cover & concealment too. The SOB might get me but I'd have a fighting chance at least.

Yes, I'm from the US & have all the proper permits.

I have never pointed my weapon at a person....except in training in the Army, when my M16 was full of blanks.

Education about firearms is the ultimate answer.

I'll never convince the Liberals out there though.

Edited by jaywalker

Didn't that moronic phrase get extinguished along side the confederate battle flag a few months ago? I guess not.

Now we will hear the predictable - "militia".

The US Supreme Court has ruled repeatedly that the founders meant the citizens when they said "militia" in the Constitution. They didn't say army or navy, you know. A militia of citizens is necessary to maintain a free people, even against a government.

It was this militia that Paul Revere was part of. It was this militia that drove the King of England and his Redcoats off US soil. It was this militia that saw to it that the USA had it's freedom and autonomy. It was this militia that had the Tea Party in Boston Harbor.

Now many of us (about 100 million of us) look at places like the ME and the spillover into Europe and tell ourselves that shit isn't going to happen in our neighborhoods. That's true for now and for 100 years from now.

Some things are worth dying for and the members of this militia know that. Unfortunately, too many in the world have forgotten that except that our enemies haven't forgotten.

Freedom isn't free.

Cheers.

So that's the line of defence for this thread. Parsing the words of the 2nd Amendment and throwing in some grade school picture book 'history'. Revere's America is not Obama's America. SCOTUS interprets the constitution according to current values as well as historic values. Interpretations of words can change. It doesn't require much for the entire meaning of that particular phrase, so beloved of a vocal minority to be turned on its head. The sooner the better. Eight more years of a Democrat White House may even be enough to do the trick.

I saw a thread on another forum (non-Thai related), with poll, Who will kill more people in 2015?

a.) Terrorist attacks by Muslim extremists anywhere in the World.

b.) American school shootings.

Must be pretty close come October. The school shootings are probably leading. :(

coffee1.gif

I suppose that it is, on a macro scale, sort of Darwinism. The country insists on arming the citizens, and the citizens die. Unfortunately, it's the innocents that die.

You can take my gun...out of my cold dead hand. Nutters.

well they do have is gun now, one down.