Stopped by police twice on Sukhumvit Thong Lor in one day

GF47

I was stopped and searched this afternoon and let go after a bit of a chat and a check of my papers.

Then on my way home tonight (23:00) I was stopped again in the same area. They asked where I was from, where I lived, and what my job was, and after satisfactory answers let me go on my way.

This plus I noticed another thread about a raid on the motor taxi guys in the Asok area. Left me a little shaken as I am not doing anything wrong, I don't even drink really.

Anyone else seen or experienced anything like this?

Yes, when my wife had business in Asoke last Wednesday. I told them in Thai my wife was inside and then told them to <deleted> off and mind their own business.

Seriously, I have no time for the pricks and have told them twice this year in the same area. That's early afternoon near Interchange 21. We go there from time to time for business but outside of that, you wouldn't catch me around that scumbag, seedy, double pricing part of town.

Edited by JoopJoop

Stop press: Police near red light district in Bangkok stop foreigner at 11.30pm and ask him where he comes from and what his job is before sending him on his way.

In following news a second foreigner was stopped by police and asked similar questions, he swore at them, was rude and threatened them with his wife.

The weather tonight will be mostly cloudy with a 30% chance of light showers.

I was stopped in Asoke about a month ago, but it was night and I was wearing a black boonie hat plus a respirator to protect from the exhaust fumes i.e. I looked suspicious. They changed their demeanor when I told them I was American and let me go quickly.

Today seemed a little more aggressive. I'm new to Thailand and maybe am just unfamiliar with their anti-drug operations. Perhaps one day I will be as confident as you.

I was always a bit suspicious of the cops around Thong Lor - Aoke during the day time. Never had much time for them, but they never really gave me any bother.

After a few beers at night I tended to react with them far more. Never had a problem and more often than not had a laugh and joke with them.

Most of them are just average Joes doing their job.

Well if you missed it, it was all over the forum a little over 6 months ago, huge threads with hundreds of posts, it was in the Bangkok Post, Asian Correspondent, other international media, and there's a Facebook group with hundreds of expats created to post reports about it, and at one point the group founder met with the Thonglor police chief. Few links:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/781621-surge-of-reported-police-harassment-suggests-campaign-targeting-tourists-expats/

http://asiancorrespondent.com/128988/bangkok-shakedown-tourists-report-increased-harassment-by-police/

http://www.stickboybangkok.com/news/expat-restaurateur-meets-rtp-discuss-stopsearch-harassment/

The facebook group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/fooktheboysinbrown/

Edited by jspill

Didn't the Military announce last week that there would be no more police stops! I guess like everything else it didn't last that long.

Military can make all the announcements it wants, but until the BIB start making a living wage (one that provides them with enough funds left over after gun purchase), they're going to have to make their money some other way...

Well if you missed it, it was all over the forum a little over 6 months ago, huge threads with hundreds of posts, it was in the Bangkok Post, Asian Correspondent, other international media, and there's a Facebook group with hundreds of expats created to post reports about it, and at one point the group founder met with the Thonglor police chief. Few links:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/781621-surge-of-reported-police-harassment-suggests-campaign-targeting-tourists-expats/

http://asiancorrespondent.com/128988/bangkok-shakedown-tourists-report-increased-harassment-by-police/

http://www.stickboybangkok.com/news/expat-restaurateur-meets-rtp-discuss-stopsearch-harassment/

I guess I did miss it. Arrived in Thailand late August this year. I knew this stuff would happen I just didn't expect this kind of frequency. Thank you for the info.

Didn't the Military announce last week that there would be no more police stops! I guess like everything else it didn't last that long.

There's a bit of a difference between illegal traffic checkpoints (that the police, not the military, have reined in) and politely checking someones ID then letting them go on their way.

And just in case you missed the follow-up, that was all sorted out and ended more than six months ago.

Military can make all the announcements it wants, but until the BIB start making a living wage (one that provides them with enough funds left over after gun purchase), they're going to have to make their money some other way...

But in all the cases mentioned on this thread the police weren't "making their money some other way".

Stop press: Police near red light district in Bangkok stop foreigner at 11.30pm and ask him where he comes from and what his job is before sending him on his way.

In following news a second foreigner was stopped by police and asked similar questions, he swore at them, was rude and threatened them with his wife.

Thonglor is no where near the red light district..infact you couldn't afford to live there..

There's a bit of a difference between illegal traffic checkpoints (that the police, not the military, have reined in) and politely checking someones ID then letting them go on their way.

Really! I would hardly say some reports are saying they are all been asked politely for their ID. Being stopped and searched is that. Police stops which originates to my statement.

Thonglor is no where near the red light district..infact you couldn't afford to live there..

I couldn't afford to live in Patpong (CBD) either, not that I would want to live in either place.

Every thing is returning as it was before the Coup.

Sidewalks are blocked again, Soi's have rental bikes blocking parking and sidewalks.

Vans out of control again.

Since there is no enforcement or reinforcement, it's back to business as usual.

technically, soi cowboy, with lights as red as they get, is in the thonglor police district.

I dont blame them stopping ''Farangs'' have you seen the amout of ''Degenerates'' walking about, ?? quality tourists they aint ?? most of them look drop outs of western society ...

just my two cents worth....

I think you've way over-priced your opinion there. Also if you think they're only stopping 'degenerates' then you're way off the mark as well. But great that you support general police harassment, every society needs it's boot-lickers.

Really! I would hardly say some reports are saying they are all been asked politely for their ID. Being stopped and searched is that. Police stops which originates to my statement.

What?

You could fill a big jar a week with the ping pong balls that get away from the venues in Thonglor.

You mean the massage parlors? Yes there are more than a few special ones, as I have accidentally discovered.

Anyway people, I'm not complaining about occasionally showing my papers to police. I just thought it was weird that it happened twice in one day, and was wondering if it was part of a new pattern. Haven't seen them in that spot since, so I'm assuming they pick random areas to target for a day or two, which is what I would have expect.

I'm only up there 2x a year and essentially its a walk from bts to dental clinic mid.day.

Never have I been hassled by cops in fifteen years and yes, passed on few.

Maybe the cops know a petty criminal when they see them? Jus saying...

Yeah, could be that everyone the police has stopped looks like a petty criminal.

I mean, all the evidence suggests otherwise but it's nice of you to say that everyone who gets stopped and searched, forced out of cars and taxis, that they all somehow deserve it.

Although seeing as you admit you're rarely in the area, and when you are it's for a very short space of time for a short walk, in middle of the day... might be that you don't really know what you're talking about. Just saying... ;)

I dont blame them stopping ''Farangs'' have you seen the amout of ''Degenerates'' walking about, ?? quality tourists they aint ?? most of them look drop outs of western society ...

just my two cents worth....

I'm only up there 2x a year and essentially its a walk from bts to dental clinic mid.day.

Never have I been hassled by cops in fifteen years and yes, passed on few.

Maybe the cops know a petty criminal when they see them? Jus saying...

Do you two walk around dressed in tweed 3-piece suits, Church brogues and a monocle?

Snobbery from economic refugees is highly amusing