New Chalong hospital construction could begin by end of year pending relocation of vendors

Jonathan Fairfield

New Chalong hospital construction could begin by end of year pending relocation of vendors

1445078707_1-org.jpg

PHUKET: The building of a new 200-bed hospital in Chalong may get underway by the end of year, a meeting was told on Friday (October 16).

Plans were initially announced back in July.

However, one obstacle officials face is relocating market vendors based at the site of the planned hospital to a new place to sell their wares.

The announcement came at a meeting held by Chalong Mayor, Samran Jindaphol, and Phuket Vice Governor Khajornkiet Rakpanichmanee at the Chalong Municipality office on Friday morning.

Speaking to The Phuket News following the meeting, Mayor Samran said, “We have made a lot of progress this morning. The only problem we now face is finding the vendors who work at the market where the hospital is to be built a new location to work from.

“At present, the land is being used as a market which has about 74 vendors. It is my responsibility to find them a new place where they continue to earn a living,” Mayor Samran said.

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-10-18

Why dont they try renting a shop like everyone else to sell their product?

Because they are market vendors. Don't you understand the concept of a market?

A place where customers can stroll around many stalls selling many different products instead of going from shop to shop.

Dictionary definition: an open place or a covered building where buyers and sellers convene for the sale of goods; a marketplace :

A place where customers can stroll around many stalls selling many different products instead of going from shop to shop.

Dictionary definition: an open place or a covered building where buyers and sellers convene for the sale of goods; a marketplace :

They can just be absorbed by the other 20 markets in the area if thats the case.

A hospital serves the whole area and will save lives and its appauling that a few hold it back.

I have no sympathy for the selfish.

They can just be absorbed by the other 20 markets in the area if thats the case.

A hospital serves the whole area and will save lives and its appauling that a few hold it back.

It is my responsibility to find them a new place where they can continue to earn a living,” Mayor Samran said.

Seems reasonable to me. You seem to be the selfish one HG. You would quite happily let 74 people lose their livelihood just to get yet another hospital built a few weeks earlier?

Other 20 markets in the Chalong area? Where are these markets?

It is my responsibility to find them a new place where they can continue to earn a living,” Mayor Samran said.

Seems reasonable to me. You seem to be the selfish one HG. You would quite happily let 74 people lose their livelihood just to get yet another hospital built a few weeks earlier?

Other 20 markets in the Chalong area? Where are these markets?

74 lazy vendors shouldnt be given priority over a hospital that could lives daily.

Why is the mayor even responsible for these vendors? Maybe vested interests.

Its been delayed longer than a few weeks.

The markets are all over chaofa east and wiset rd. Dont tell me there is shortage of these markets as they are easily spotted by the parking and traffic mess they create.

Its funny that 74 people can delay something important for 1000's of residents and vital for 1000's of tourists needs yet you pity them. Laughable.

Edited by hansgruber

Imagine the (lack) of liaison and planning that has gone Into this...

They will start very shortly on the Chalong underpass on the Chao Fa West road near the Chalong circle for the next few years. The traffic is already chaotic at the best of times, what with the circle blocked off, and now they will build simultaneously a large hospital at the u-turn?

74 lazy vendors (How do you know they're lazy?) You're starting to sound like a bigot HG

shouldnt be given priority over a hospital that could save lives daily. (Over dramatising the situation to make your point HG. Now THAT'S laughable)

Why is the mayor even responsible for these vendors? Maybe vested interests. (You're just making assumptions. Why don't you ask the mayor?)

Its been delayed longer than a few weeks. (Really? When was building supposed to start?)

The markets are all over chaofa east and wiset rd. Dont tell me there is shortage of these markets as they are easily spotted by the parking and traffic mess they create. ( These markets are not in the Chalong area.)

Its funny that 74 people can delay something important for 1000's of residents and vital for 1000's of tourists needs yet you pity them. Laughable.

Aren't you being a tad over dramatic here HG - important for 1000's of residents?...vital for 1000's of tourists? I could understand your reasoning if there were no other hospitals on the island.

I don't pity them. I just don't think it's unreasonable to try to find them alternative sites instead of just evicting them as you seem to suggest.

Edited by Chainsaw

I was interested in who owned the land and what the hospital would provide for local residents. Reading more of the article I found this:

"At present, the land is being used as a market which has about 74 vendors. It is my responsibility to find them a new place where they continue to earn a living,” Mayor Samran said. “I have two or three locations in mind and I will propose those sites to the vendors in a meeting to be held next week. If the vendors are satisfied with my proposal the building of Chalong hospital will begin this year,” he added.

The 10 rai plot of land to be used for the hospital belongs to the family of former MP for Phuket Mr Rewat Areerob who was the MP at the time of the May 22 coup. The Phuket News understands that the land was donated to Chalong Municipality for the hospital to be built.

The B100-million budget for the construction has already been approved by the cabinet and contracts are due to be signed in the near future. “It will be like a smaller version of Vachira Hospital and will have beds for about 200 patients,” V/Gov Khajornkiet said. “If there are no problems at the meeting next week building can start as early as November 15.

The first building to be constructed will be be start the Accident and Emergency Department which will be complete in six months will then be able to start handling patients,” V/Gov Khajornkiet concluded. "

As someone who lives in the area I have always been painfully aware that medical help in an emergency is 30 to 40 minutes away in Phuket City, a potentially life ending distance!

The fact that they want to start an Emergency Treatment Department in Chalong immediately, with a plan to complete it in 6 months, is great news for all residents in the southern end of the Island.

The land belongs to the Municipality and the vendors are either squatting or paying rent to line someones pocket. Either way the time has come for them to move on and this should occur immediately .

This important public facility shouldn't be delayed by self serving individuals who will vehemently protest about any alternative proposed venue.

Edited by Old Croc

Dear sir if you only make B 300 on a good day how can you afford to rent a proper shop ? If you want Thailand to be transformed to Europe or America the soul of the country will die. Most of us live here because its different and we like it. Or maybe you just didn't think before you wrote your comment.

The land belongs to the Municipality and the vendors are either squatting or paying rent to line someones pocket. Either way the time has come for them to move on and this should occur immediately .

This important public facility shouldn't be delayed by self serving individuals who will vehemently protest about any alternative proposed venue.

If the vendors are squatting on Municipal land, I agree they should be evicted.

If they have papers showing that they have permission from local government to trade there, is where problems will arise and questions will be asked.

Who's to say it's not all above board and legit with the rents being paid direct to the Municipality? I know, I know...TIT rolleyes.gif

If the vendors only have a verbal agreement and have been paying rent - tough, they will have to go. If this is the case I hope they find a suitable alternative venue for them, we're not talking about wealthy people here.

Either way, I reckon construction will start on or near the planned date. Protests or not. The powers that be behind this construction are not going to let a local bigwig interfere with their timetable.

End of the year they say, lets wait and see.

Edited by Chainsaw

I was interested in who owned the land and what the hospital would provide for local residents. Reading more of the article I found this:

"At present, the land is being used as a market which has about 74 vendors. It is my responsibility to find them a new place where they continue to earn a living,” Mayor Samran said. “I have two or three locations in mind and I will propose those sites to the vendors in a meeting to be held next week. If the vendors are satisfied with my proposal the building of Chalong hospital will begin this year,” he added.

The 10 rai plot of land to be used for the hospital belongs to the family of former MP for Phuket Mr Rewat Areerob who was the MP at the time of the May 22 coup. The Phuket News understands that the land was donated to Chalong Municipality for the hospital to be built.

The B100-million budget for the construction has already been approved by the cabinet and contracts are due to be signed in the near future. “It will be like a smaller version of Vachira Hospital and will have beds for about 200 patients,” V/Gov Khajornkiet said. “If there are no problems at the meeting next week building can start as early as November 15.

The first building to be constructed will be be start the Accident and Emergency Department which will be complete in six months will then be able to start handling patients,” V/Gov Khajornkiet concluded. "

As someone who lives in the area I have always been painfully aware that medical help in an emergency is 30 to 40 minutes away in Phuket City, a potentially life ending distance!

The fact that they want to start an Emergency Treatment Department in Chalong immediately, with a plan to complete it in 6 months, is great news for all residents in the southern end of the Island.

"This important public facility shouldn't be delayed by self serving individuals" - I agree.

With all the beatings, stabbings, shootings, road accidents etc etc here - Phuket needs all the hospitals it can get. biggrin.png

• 1 month later...

from THE PHUKET GAZETTE:

Ground will be broken for the Chalong Hospital project before the end of the year, confirmed Chalong Mayor Samran Jindaphol.

The push to upgrade the public health clinic in Chalong into a fully equipped hospital comes with the hope of reducing the number of people dying en route to emergency wards at major hospitals in Phuket Town.

Clinic Director Ruedee Suriya told the Phuket Gazette in 2012 that, on average, two people die every month while on their way to one of the main hospitals in Phuket Town.

See more at: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Chalong-Hospital-construction-starts-

month/62547#sthash.NYKI3ASn.dpuf

An estimated 2 lives a month are lost while bleeding hearts pander to self serving, protesting peddlers.

from THE PHUKET GAZETTE:

Ground will be broken for the Chalong Hospital project before the end of the year, confirmed Chalong Mayor Samran Jindaphol.

The push to upgrade the public health clinic in Chalong into a fully equipped hospital comes with the hope of reducing the number of people dying en route to emergency wards at major hospitals in Phuket Town.

Clinic Director Ruedee Suriya told the Phuket Gazette in 2012 that, on average, two people die every month while on their way to one of the main hospitals in Phuket Town.

See more at: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Chalong-Hospital-construction-starts-

An estimated 2 lives a month are lost while bleeding hearts pander to self serving, protesting peddlers.

I cant believe some were defending these vendors protests.

Amazing what a decade or more does to some of these expats in Thailand.

from THE PHUKET GAZETTE:

An estimated 2 lives a month are lost while bleeding hearts pander to

I cant believe some were defending these vendors protests.

Amazing what a decade or more does to some of these expats in Thailand.

You got that right HG.

How long had you been here before you started hating Thais? Or is it just the poorer section of the community?

As I mentioned previously, no protest is going to delay this project when the contracts are signed and the construction company is ready to go.

I just don't think it's unreasonable to give some help to these traders in finding alternative places, instead of just throwing them out as you seem to be advocating.

These are poor people, trying to earn a living. Where's your humanity?

Dear sir if you only make B 300 on a good day how can you afford to rent a proper shop ? If you want Thailand to be transformed to Europe or America the soul of the country will die. Most of us live here because its different and we like it. Or maybe you just didn't think before you wrote your comment.

dear good sir, instead of posting nonsense in a thai forum when you clearly live abroad, try educating yourself and not posting random nonsense.

Market sellers make 1000-4000 a day easily.

Unless they are lazy bums who buy their products from other market sellers and resell for 1-2b profit

dear good sir, instead of posting nonsense in a thai forum when you clearly live abroad, try educating yourself and not posting random nonsense.

Unless they are lazy bums who buy their products from other market sellers and resell for 1-2b profit

"Market sellers make 1000-4000 a day easily".

How do you know this? Where did you get this information from? Evidence or you're just speculating.

Edited by Chainsaw

All these vendors work for one big wig. Dont think for a second they are running the markets as a business independently.

All are paid a wage while the big boss collects the profits.

If you want independent growers markets, go to wiset rd.

I dont hate Thais chainsaw, just wish the people would grow a brain and stop being shortsighted for the powerful few.

Edited by hansgruber

"Market sellers make 1000-4000 a day easily".

How do you know this? Where did you get this information from? Evidence or you're just speculating.

I sell in markets and my mother in law is friend with every old lady in each of the markets in my area. Most markets have the same owner selling in all of them.

These people have big houses, tons of gold, new cars and a lot in the bank.

Hell, the woman on the small road next to mine (almost no one passes by) sells the worst soup. She profits 2000-3000 a day anyways in 5-6hrs(an other good friend of the MIL)

The broke ones are the idiot who buy spices and lemon juice from supercheap and sells them next to 20 other people selling the same crap at 1-2b profit per item.

This is not about hating nor disenfranchising Thais.

It's about comparing the wants of a greedy few to the needs of a greater population of residents, of all nationalities, who's lives are occasionally lost because the nearest emergency hospital is too far away.

The construction of an emergency medical clinic on that site should not be delayed, for even one day, because non-owners of the land want to keep selling their vegies and trinkets there!

I've noticed that huge area of land on Sai Yuan towards the lights has been cleared and what looks very much like market stalls going up. They can relocate there. The only people pissed off will be that housing development which started off as 'Portuguese' style, lots of pink and starfish bah.gif and then painted white. Would suit me though smile.png

Can we try to put this in some perspective?

These market traders haven't said they will protest. They haven't said they will blockade. They haven't demanded compensation.

All that has happened is an official has said that he will try to find them alternative sites to trade before the construction teams move in, which they will as soon as they're ready to go, no matter who is on the site.

The reaction from some posters on here is to totally vilify these people in no uncertain terms, completely over-dramatising the situation in order to justify their biased opinions.

Sounds like bigotry to me.

Edited by Chainsaw

Can we try to put this in some perspective?

These market traders haven't said they will protest. They haven't said they will blockade. They haven't demanded compensation.

All that has happened is an official has said that he will try to find them alternative sites to trade before the construction teams move in, which they will as soon as they're ready to go, no matter who is on the site.

The reaction from some posters on here is to totally vilify these people in no uncertain terms, completely over-dramatising the situation in order to justify their biased opinions.

Sounds like bigotry to me.

Um, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/876560-chalong-hospital-construction-starts-this-month/ coffee1.gif