Confused-marriage Visa Rules!

I am 44, married to a thai for the past 6 years. I have a retirement pension of about 60,000 baht a month. Can I have a combination of cash on deposit and a pension to make up my 400k? Any suggestions is appreciated!

ncguy

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am 44, married to a thai for the past 6 years. I have a retirement pension of about 60,000 baht a month. Can I have a combination of cash on deposit and a pension to make up my 400k? Any suggestions is appreciated!

ncguy

Hi, ncquy I am sitting maybe in the same boat.

I am 47. Married on january this year and got granted my first 12 month extension. I have to renewel on middle january 2007.

My disability pension (about near 60k) is sent each month direct to my Bangkok Bank account since years. I'm also correct registered in my embassy in BKK. I am to 90% disabled to work.

So, do I need now this 400k??? Or can I have a combination say 100k??? Because annual it's about 700k I bring already into my bank :o .

Under the new rules what you seem to need is income/pension of 40k per month only. The 400k deposit no longer is accepted it seems. The good news is that the income can be both spouse and applicant or even spouse so this should help a lot of people.

So you both seem to no longer have to have the 400k in the bank account - just obtain certification of pension from your Embassy and present that. I believe, like with retirement, a bank account/letter will still be required but the amount in account should not have to be more than a one month 40k and probably not even checked.

Under the new rules what you seem to need is income/pension of 40k per month only. The 400k deposit no longer is accepted it seems. The good news is that the income can be both spouse and applicant or even spouse so this should help a lot of people.

So you both seem to no longer have to have the 400k in the bank account - just obtain certification of pension from your Embassy and present that. I believe, like with retirement, a bank account/letter will still be required but the amount in account should not have to be more than a one month 40k and probably not even checked.

Thank you Lobburi3

"Mabtaput Immigration" and "Immigration Bureau in Soi Suan Plu" has confirmed it today. Absolutly no problem for me and the OP.

I run a small business with my Thai partner, we've been together for 6 years, but haven't gotten married. At the moment I have a WP, but with changes to the rules it's looking difficult for me to get the 1 yr business visa.

If I am married, have an income of 40k AND have 400k in the bank can I get a WP and 1 yr non-o visa?

Hi Lopburi3,

I have more than sufficient funds in my bank to apply for a 365 day extention, but my income is from an investment and cannot be g'teed....are you saying that a large deposit will nolonger be accepted?

Cheers

geoffphuket

Edited by geoffphuket

That is what immigration is saying. For marriage you must have income of 40k per month. It can by your income, spouse income or combination.

For Smithson

Believe you would be set if married. Just be sure the marriage is the right option. :o

That is what immigration is saying. For marriage you must have income of 40k per month. It can by your income, spouse income or combination.

For Smithson

Believe you would be set if married. Just be sure the marriage is the right option. :D

Thanks for the reply,

If this is true, then there must be thousands of expats that have lived here for many years with their Thai wives, that won't be able to stay here any longer. :o

There are plenty like myself that don't work and rely on an investment for income

Geoff

For Smithson

Believe you would be set if married. Just be sure the marriage is the right option. :o

must the income be a pension?

What I must do, if I have income from properties?

So a German rent my house there and send me the money (60.000 Baht) every

month to my account in Thailand.

How I can show papers about this income.

Is it enough, when the leasing-contract is confirmed from a government-office and then

translated in Thai?

So to sum up the situation if you're married to a Thai:

1. You need an income of 40k/month to extend your 'O' visa to stay togther. 400k is no longer accepted

2. You can't work in Thailand to provide the income - unless it's an approved trade that a Thai can't do.

3. It's no longer possible to get a multiple entry 'O' in Asia - So every 15 months will require a trip back home.

Looks like it's time for many of us to pack our bags and go home :o

MARRIAGE VISA -- Marriage visas will continue to be issued and the balance shown in the bank will remain 400,000 baht. However, as of Oct. 1, the same 90-day bank account rule used for Retirement Visas will apply to Marriage Visas. In addition, Immigrantion will now periodically check that the applicant actually resides with his marriage partner. Those violating the banking rules will have their passports stamped with a 7-day visa and told to leave Thailand

WCA

MARRIAGE VISA -- Marriage visas will continue to be issued and the balance shown in the bank will remain 400,000 baht. However, as of Oct. 1, the same 90-day bank account rule used for Retirement Visas will apply to Marriage Visas. In addition, Immigrantion will now periodically check that the applicant actually resides with his marriage partner. Those violating the banking rules will have their passports stamped with a 7-day visa and told to leave Thailand

WCA

Thanks for your reply wca01

What was your source ?

Cheers

geoffphuket

Reason to have a long stay: In case of having Thai Wife (husband foreigner)

Consideration:

1) having non-immigrant visa

2) having proof of relationship and having relationship both in fact and in paper :o

3) having averange income whether from husband or wife or altogether not less than 40k per month

4) in case of having no income as above but entering into the country before 1 Oct. 06 and been granted to have long stay based on the married staus continously, the 400k in bank account (under the name of husband or wife or join account) must be shown at least 3 months

Document required:

1) Application Form

2) Copy of passport of the applicant

3) Copy of document of proof under (2) above i.e. married cert., house registration, etc.

4) letter of verification, issued by the commercial bank and copy of bank statement or official document to proof the income of husband or wife or both not less than 40k a month i.e. annual tax return form with its receipt, pension proof, interest proof or proof of any income.

From the above

Clearly that any income can be used not only the pension.

But, still in doubt:

Can 400k still useful for the new applicant or only 40k income can apply?

Can anyone check that out?

Thanks

Well hel_l, I'm still confused.

I had a one year Non O multiple visa. I had an emergency and had to go home. It expired while I was out of the country.........oh so sad you say.

Now I am back and need to get a new One year Non O visa with multiple entries.

I am ready to head off to Penang where I got the last one.

Before I just took along marriage cert, wifes docs. house docs, and my passport.

Now what? Can I still go to the embassy in Penang and get a new visa?

What new documents will I need. These Thai love us so much.

To be fair, I have checked out the requirements to retire in 3 other countries, and they all have their downsides too.

Thanks for any information.

John

ncguy

You only need to have the pension. The $ in the bank criteria. no longer counts for new applicants.

After calling an Immigration lawyer today, he told me that the 400,000 Baht rule is still in place.

(yesterday no problem at Bangkok Immigration).

WCA

Just left Bangkok Immigration. They confirmed it's still the case and will remain the case, no new applications will be accepted with the foreigners simply having 400K in the bank. If you are grandfathered meaning "the said foreign national has entered Thailand before this Order is enforced and the foreign national has been permitted to stay in the Kingdom by the result of having married to a Thai wife" then this does not applied.

By the way, a simple "O" visa (obtained at a Embassy/Consulate does not count towards the exemption, its the application for the extension prior to Oct 1st, 2006.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

WCA

ncguy

You only need to have the pension. The $ in the bank criteria. no longer counts for new applicants.

After calling an Immigration lawyer today, he told me that the 400,000 Baht rule is still in place.

WCA

Just left Bangkok Immigration. They confirmed it's still the case and will remain the case, no new applications will be accepted with the foreigners simply having 400K in the bank. If you are grandfathered meaning "the said foreign national has entered Thailand before this Order is enforced and the foreign national has been permitted to stay in the Kingdom by the result of having married to a Thai wife" then this does not applied.

By the way, a simple "O" visa (obtained at a Embassy/Consulate does not count towards the exemption, its the application for the extension prior to Oct 1st, 2006.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Conflicting information :o

Hi, ncquy I am sitting maybe in the same boat.

I am 47. Married on january this year and got granted my first 12 month extension. I have to renewel on middle january 2007.

My disability pension (about near 60k) is sent each month direct to my Bangkok Bank account since years. I'm also correct registered in my embassy in BKK. I am to 90% disabled to work.

So, do I need now this 400k??? Or can I have a combination say 100k??? Because annual it's about 700k I bring already into my bank :o .

You do not need 400K in the bank. As you are exempt as you applied prior to Oct 1st 2006. you have the option of having 400K, income or a combination.

Can 400k still useful for the new applicant or only 40k income can apply?

No it won't help one iota. (except the little bit of interest earned)

1. You need an income of 40k/month to extend your 'O' visa to stay togther. 400k is no longer accepted

Correct on new applications. This is NOT the case, if you are not exempt prior to Oct 1st, 2006( Holding a cirrent extenstion of stay based on support of a Thai national)

2. You can't work in Thailand to provide the income - unless it's an approved trade that a Thai can't do.

You must have a work permit when showing earned income from work inside Thailand for the extension of stay. A work permit is not that complicated to obtain.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

WCA

ncguy

WCA

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Conflicting information :o

I understand, its conflicting. I posted the facts now at this moment. This quote

Marriage visas will continue to be issued and the balance shown in the bank will remain 400,000 baht.[/color] However, as of Oct. 1, the same 90-day bank account rule used for Retirement Visas will apply to Marriage Visas. In addition, Immigrantion will now periodically check that the applicant actually resides with his marriage partner. Those violating the banking rules will have their passports stamped with a 7-day visa and told to leave Thailand

WCA

was in Pattaya Today and is simply mistaken info for new applicants. I could understand how the misunderstanding could take place.

I went personally to Bangkok Immigration and they were adamant that they have had numerous meetings on this, no new applications are being accepted based on just having 400K in the bank. ( Unless the applicant has a current extension of stay based on support of a Thai national)

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

lop, any idea if there are changes for an extension based on being supported by a Thai spouse for us ladies?

Criteria...

1) Foreigner obtains VISA for the temporary stay and

(2) There is any proof of the relationship and,

(3) In case of the marriage couple, the parties required to have both practical and legal relationship

Required Doc's...

1. Application Form

2. Copy of the passport of the applicant

3. Copy of the proof of relationship such as the marriage certificate.

4. The evidences of having Thai nationality of the marriage couple such as ID Card, census registration, or other papers issued by the related official organization or government agencies.

No proof of income or $ in the bank required for a foreign wife married to a Thai national.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

I went personally to Bangkok Immigration and they were adamant that they have had numerous meetings on this, no new applications are being accepted based on just having 400K in the bank. ( Unless the applicant has a current extension of stay based on support of a Thai national)

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

So obtaining a court order to show that I take care of my Thai son and having a deposit of 400K, will now be rejected by immigration....I don't think so

So obtaining a court order to show that I take care of my Thai son and having a deposit of 400K, will now be rejected by immigration....I don't think so

Geoff

I am in roughly the same predicament.

Two weeks ago I went to Laos and obtained a Tourist Visa, I then went to Bangkok and was granted the upgrade to an 'o'

Last week I was planning to go to Immigration in Kap Cheong to apply for the extension, we called them beforehand as I had heard that you needed to use a significant proportion of it before it could be extended. Kap Cheong confirmed that and advised me to wait a month.

And now this little change with no prior notification has arrived.

I've had the 400k in the bank for over three months now and I have enough money in the UK to hopefully last the rest of my days. I'm 46, so don't qualify for a retirement visa yet and therefore don't have an income via a pension.

This has been stressing me out all day.

As a final straw I took a look at the Consulate web-site in Hull. The thought process being having to go back to England every fifteen months (not something I really want to do) ..... they are now saying that they will no longer issue 1 year 'o' just the 90 day type.

I'm going for a beer now.

I really get confused about all those new visa rules, also because there are so many rumours running around and different opinions on how to interpret the rules.

I have two questions:

1:

Can anyone give a link to an official website spelling out the new rules ?

2:

If I want to present a paper for proof of income, like a government pension, in connection to an application for extending a visa, which numbers do Immigration want:

My annual retirement pension from home is 1.155.000 baht.

As almost any income in this world I have to pay tax from that income, approx. 344.000 baht

So that leaves me with 811.000 baht per year after tax.

Which number am I going to submit to Immigration, 1.155.000 or 811.000 ?

Thank you in advance for helping.

North :o

Did anyone at immigration provide the reason for doing away with having an annual lump sum in a Thai bank as one of the options for getting a one year visa for someone legally married and supporting a Thai wife?

Why would they allow a single guy with no marital responsibilities to stay here with either a lump sum pension and/or combination and not extend the same option to someone who is married? This makes absolutely no sense.

Fortunately, whether or not this goes through I will not be affected although I can emphasize with those who will be. The problem with Thailand is when things change they often change fast and seldom for the better. Let's see if this becomes another case in point.