Driving license

oleg

• 2 years later...
Rather than start a new thread I have a simple Question if someone could answer..

When my g/f comes to the Uk will she be able to drive using her Thai driving Licence?

thanks

She can drive in the UK provided she carries an English translation of the licence that needs to be certified by an appropriate Authority such as the British Embassy or the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Rather than start a new thread I have a simple Question if someone could answer..

When my g/f comes to the Uk will she be able to drive using her Thai driving Licence?

thanks

She can drive in the UK provided she carries an English translation of the licence that needs to be certified by an appropriate Authority such as the British Embassy or the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

All you need to know is here:-

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/drivers/drvingb.htm

Edit:- Doesn't say anything about a translation, but it can't hurt. An IDP from Thailand would also do the trick.

Edited by Crossy

<font color='#000000'>Can I drive with in TH with my EU-driving license ? I mean other

cars than rentals. What are the restricitions, if any ?</font>

Get an International Driving Permit (IDP) from your home country. You can drive on it in Th for up to 90 days at a time.

You can also use it to get a Th licence (if you have a non-immi visa).

<font color='#000000'>Can I drive with in TH with my EU-driving license ? I mean other

To drive a rental car in Thailand, if you do not hold a Thai driver's license, you need a driver's license from your isssuing country AND an IDP that was issued from an authorized agency in the same country that issued your original driver's license. So, if you come from the UK and have a UK license you can't get a IDP from some other country....beware of the Inernet scams that purport to offer International Driver's Licenses.

If you buy a car here you should have a Thai driver's license otherwise your insurance probably will not cover you. You can only get a Thai license if you have a Non-Imm visa.

thanks

She can get an International Drivers Permit at the Thai license office near the weekend market...that should do it, I think.

<font color='#000000'>OK, but what about buying a car ?</font>

No special visa requirements apply.

Have you seen the date on that post

Bloody 'ell. Didn't see that at all :D

How about an automatic "Close thread" after 1 year of inactivity?

Hmm, I think I suggested that a while back and nobody was interested :o