The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

12 minutes ago, usa77 said:

Has any US citizen gone to Guam, so they could 'be in their home country' and sent off their forms for the METV to the LA Thai Consulate?  Seems to be reasonably priced round trip flights ($260) from Manila.  Sure beats flying all the way back to CONUS to get one.

Are you referring to the return address for the Consulate to send the passport to?

There is no specified requirement to be physically in the US. The requirement is to be a citizen or permanent resident of the US. The key thing is not to be in Thailand.

Theoretically you could be in Malaysia or the Philippines, post your passport and all supporting documents to somebody in the US who posts it on to the Consulate. Then the Consulate posts it back to that U.S. address and that friend then posts it on to you. Cheaper than flying to Guam but not something I would do or recommend.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

There is no specified requirement to be physically in the US. The requirement is to be a citizen or permanent resident of the US. The key thing is not to be in Thailand.

I would say there is a need to be present in the US. If they saw a stamp in your passport showing you had entered a foreign country they could very well refuse the application.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

I would say there is a need to be present in the US. If they saw a stamp in your passport showing you had entered a foreign country they could very well refuse the application.

Of course.

OK, Hong Kong, no passport stamp. I am just following the theoretical thinking of @usa77 but again as I stated earlier, not something I would do or recommend.

6 hours ago, Briggsy said:

As they will only post to a US address it implicitly implies that the passport holder is expected to be in the US when applying.

In the UK it is specifically stated that you must be in the country when applying. They stopped the Consulates from accepting postal applications and I'm sure you can work out why.

Although the Thai Embassy in the US doesn't state you must be in the country I think it's a given.

1 hour ago, pjthefey said:

I had one METV and now I have two SETVs back to back in my passport.   Has anyone had any problems getting back to back METVs?     Trying to figure out my game plan for when I next go back to the USA. 

There have been plenty of reports of people successfully receiving back-to-back multiple entry tourist visas from the US. As ever, past performance does not guarantee future results.

Edited by BritTim

On 8/3/2018 at 8:37 AM, bbi1 said:

Sydney is fine with you not giving them a outgoing flight ticket out of the country within 60 days of your 1st entry and just writing on the form that you will make a land crossing? When was that??

Two months ago when I called them before applying for a new METV they repeatedly told me that I must show them a flight ticket out of the country within 60 days even though you can extend another 30 days at immigration, which that lady seemed a bit surprised it could be done even though I've told her I did it for many years.......but that's another story. Anyway, I had to waste money on buying a ticket out of the country within 60 days to fulfill their requirements.

Hi, Visa was issued on the 15th March 2018 with the consulate in Sydney, from experience consulates tend to be more relaxed then embassies,

When at the counter the representative checks all the details, to ensure the Visa will be approved, this has started in the last 2 years, the application form is a bit confusing as it does not ask for exit, only for single and double, but not for metv, well that was the last time I checked, the main things they want are bank statement and entry flight, 

I always fly into chiang mai and I have never had a problem, I'm currently on my 4 metv back to back and all seems fine so far, I think I may be pushing it a bit so am considering the elite/pe visa 

On 8/4/2018 at 3:30 AM, ubonjoe said:

I corresponded with a couple of US based Visa services and this seems to be their consensus as well after speaking with Thai consulates.  I'm going to continue looking at Guam.  My main concern is that the mainland consulates  say they want to take forever (3 weeks + mail time) to do a mailed app.  I am in discussion now with mainland visa services to see  if I can overnight my passport from there via USPS and have a few day turnaround with their services.

Edited by usa77

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, freedomnow said:

For applications in the UK, can the job confirmation be in a 3rd country (not UK/Thailand) ?

Are they really inflexible on this requirement at consulates UK ?

I believe the employment evidence is rather flexible. What is absolutely non negotiable is the financial proof.

7 hours ago, freedomnow said:

I also assume the METV will not be pulled into this new eVisa online application in the UK coming very soon in 2018, and the eVisa is aimed at SETV applicants ?

That's the way it will be I reckon.  The visas that exist now and their application processes will stay as they are and the e-visa added. METV won't change.

Hi.

I have a METV visa. Previously have used the first entry 60 +( 30 Visa Extension).

My second entry have used 60 day. Will apply for a 30 day visa extension in a few days.

On the TM.7 Extension for temporary stay they request:

1. Arrival By (mode of transporation).

2. Port of entry.

On my first 30 day extension, I stated Arrival by Air with Airline name & Port of Entry=Bangkok.

Since I did a in/out (same day) Border run to Cambodia on my second entry, My Arrival by transportation to Thailand was by Bus and Port of Entry=Pattaya.

(Q) What entry should I enter on the TM.7 for my upcoming 30 day Extension?   Original or Latest?

Thanks.

TC.

19 minutes ago, tomx2 said:

Since I did a in/out (same day) Border run to Cambodia on my second entry, My Arrival by transportation to Thailand was by Bus and Port of Entry=Pattaya.

That is what you will put on the TM7 form since that the entry you are currently on.  But you will will put the name of the border crossing you entered at not Pattaya.

19 minutes ago, tomx2 said:

On my first 30 day extension, I stated Arrival by Air with Airline name & Port of Entry=Bangkok.

(Q) What entry should I enter on the TM.7 for my upcoming 30 day Extension?   Original or Latest?

You put the latest entry information

• Bus
  • Whatever border point you entered Thailand. It wasn't Pattaya. e.g. It would be Ban Leam or Aranyaprathet or other crossing from Cambodia

17 hours ago, elviajero said:

You put the latest entry information

• Bus
  • Whatever border point you entered Thailand. It wasn't Pattaya. e.g. It would be Ban Leam or Aranyaprathet or other crossing from Cambodia

Just check my visa stamp it states  Pong Nam Ron. I assume this is my Border point of entry to Thailand.

I'm in Cardiff so easy to get to the consulate but I don't think I'll be able to get time off work for the appointment. How long does it normally take? I'm planning to use a printout of an online statement, a printout of an email from an online travel agent for the flight confirmation, printout of a hotel booking and letter from employer. Would the London Embassy be likely to accept these and is the 3-5 days turnaround they state on their website realistic?

1 hour ago, edwardandtubs said:

I'm in Cardiff so easy to get to the consulate but I don't think I'll be able to get time off work for the appointment. How long does it normally take? I'm planning to use a printout of an online statement, a printout of an email from an online travel agent for the flight confirmation, printout of a hotel booking and letter from employer. Would the London Embassy be likely to accept these and is the 3-5 days turnaround they state on their website realistic?

I’ve had several visas by post from the London embassy and they have always returned the visa/passport within a week. If you were to post it on a Monday it would almost certainly be back with you on/before Friday.

• Thanks 1

You could fly into Utapao/Pattaya on Air Air Asia from KL. I suspect you would not have a problem there.
I went to Melbourne Australia for my 3rd METV since March last year. First time I returned for 10 weeks and this time 19 days. Flew to Utapao Pattaya as Joe advised. No problems. Smiles all the way.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I am retired and the last 2 years I stayed in Thailand with a METV for 6 months. (6 months here and 6 months in Belgium)

When I arrived in the airport this morning with another 6 months METV, the Immigration Officer told me that I am not a tourist and I should request another visa.

I told him that it is nearly impossible to receive a retirement visa (OA) in Belgium when you are not married with a Thai woman or when you don't have children or relatives there. (That's what they told me in the Thai Consulate in Belgium).

He told me that he didn't believe me but he would allow me to enter Thailand this time with this METV.

I don't understand why this is a problem ? In my opinion, I am a tourist because I travel around, I leave the country every 2 months for some days and was never in overstay.

I am already afraid for next year. Is it possible that somebody with a METV that was given in the country of residence is refused to enter Thailand ?

Are there other members with similar problems ?

Thanks a lot for advice !

7 minutes ago, Patsawi said:

I told him that it is nearly impossible to receive a retirement visa (OA) in Belgium when you are not married with a Thai woman or when you don't have children or relatives there. (That's what they told me in the Thai Consulate in Belgium). 

I think it's very well possible to get a non-o visa and then an extension based on retirement for you, but that's another topic, maybe just open a new topic if you want to know how to do it exactly.

At which airport did you arrive? BKK or DMK?

I think i did never see a report of somebody really being denied with a METV, maybe the IO had problems with his wife in the morning and wanted to scare a farang on this day ????

2 hours ago, Patsawi said:

I am already afraid for next year. Is it possible that somebody with a METV that was given in the country of residence is refused to enter Thailand ?

Of course it is. Having a visa doesn’t guarantee entry, that decision is down to the IO.

I don't understand why this is a problem ? In my opinion, I am a tourist because I travel around, I leave the country every 2 months for some days and was never in overstay.

You are clearly not a tourist, but living in the country. Just because you occasionally leave for a few days/hours doesn’t make you a tourist. You’re a visitor claiming your visit is for tourism and the IO can see that. The visa is designed for people that live outside of Thailand that want to make multiple short visits over 6 months.

If you can’t get a non ‘O’ or ‘O-A’ visa you can enter as a tourist and apply for a non ‘O’ visa in Thailand. That will then enable you to apply for an extension of stay based on retirement. All without leaving the country.

8 hours ago, Patsawi said:

Hi, I am retired and the last 2 years I stayed in Thailand with a METV for 6 months. (6 months here and 6 months in Belgium)

When I arrived in the airport this morning with another 6 months METV, the Immigration Officer told me that I am not a tourist and I should request another visa.

He told me that he didn't believe me but he would allow me to enter Thailand this time with this METV.

No similar problems for me, but I am concerned. If I am questioned, it's simple. I have money, I don't need to work so much. I come to Thailand to enjoy my time. Call it tourism, living without working, call it what you like but If I'm insisted to get out of Thailand and stay out I guess I'll miss out on coming to Thailand for longer periods. No biggie. I'm thinking Spain next.

I've had several METVs and no problem so far and i do similar to you and i also see it as tourism.

tour·ist

ˈto͝orəst/

noun

a person who is traveling or visiting a place for pleasure.

Perhaps because of your age they want you to get the non imm O or OA. Maybe you were just unlucky with a grumpy IO

15 hours ago, Patsawi said:

Even if you were not gone 6 mo per year - the laws/rules for Tourist Visas do not have any limit on how much time one can be in Thailand per-year using them.  As long as you do not overstay, work illegally, or break other laws, you are not violating the terms of the Visa.  If officials wanted to set a limit, they could, but it appears the highest-authorities have no interest in doing so.

It is a problem, because the officials at that and some other checkpoints are not held accountable to the written laws and rules regarding Tourist Visa use.  They make up their own rules to their liking, and their superiors do not stop them. 

IOs at these entry-points have been reported to tell foreigners "X is the law," deny entry, but stamp a reason other than the supposed-law they just claimed existed, to cover their tracks.  Similar problems exist at some immigration-offices within the country.

It has happened, but usually because the person did not have 20K Baht worth of cash or travelers checks to show.  You should always have this cash in-hand, before boarding a plane to Thailand (or entering by-land from Malaysia).

The only way to be sure of no issues, based on reports for the past several years, is to avoid checkpoints which invent their own rules, and to enter the country using land-border checkpoints which follow the written laws/rules.  All land-borders except Poipet/Aranyaprathet should be fine.  I would always have the 20K Baht, as that is a published-rule.

If you have the income or money in-the-bank to support it, you can get a Non-O based on retirement using the Thai Consulate in Savannakhet, or possibly by converting your entry to a Non-O at an immigration-office in Thailand (the latter is difficult at some "problem" immigration offices, but is straightforward at others). 

After that step is complete, you can apply for an annual extension-of-stay and a re-entry permit to keep it valid when you leave the country.  The catch is, you must be in-country to renew annually, within a period 30-days before the previous extension expires.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I've had several METVs and no problem so far and i do similar to you and i also see it as tourism.

tour·ist
ˈto͝orəst/
noun
a person who is traveling or visiting a place for pleasure.

Perhaps because of your age they want you to get the non imm O or OA. Maybe you were just unlucky with a grumpy IO

It is the length of stay as a Tourist they have a problem with, even if genuinely visiting for pleasure. They want him to get a non-imm 'O' or 'O-A' visa because that is the right visa for someone over 50 that wants to live long term in the country.

4 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Even if you were not gone 6 mo per year - the laws/rules for Tourist Visas do not have any limit on how much time one can be in Thailand per-year using them.  As long as you do not overstay, work illegally, or break other laws, you are not violating the terms of the Visa.  If officials wanted to set a limit, they could, but it appears the highest-authorities have no interest in doing so.

It is correct that there is no limit set by law or regulation. However, immigration have the power, in law, to stop anyone from entering; which means an unspecified limit exists. If the IO suspects the 'tourist' is working they can deny entry. If the visitor has stayed too long as a 'tourist' they can deny entry simply because the visitor hasn't proven their ability to maintain a long stay. A 20 something Filipino will quickly get stopped from repeatedly entering back to back as a tourist; whereas, a 40 something westerner is more likely to be left alone.

Both of the reasons I have given come in to play because the visitor has stayed too long/had too many tourist visas/entries.

We are fortunate that IO's/the authorities do not enforce the visa system more than they do.

It is a problem, because the officials at that and some other checkpoints are not held accountable to the written laws and rules regarding Tourist Visa use.  They make up their own rules to their liking, and their superiors do not stop them. 

Or on the real world IO's are under orders to stop misuse of tourist visas. What possible reason would an IO have for denying entry to someone that is clearly 'playing' the system? 

The only way to be sure of no issues, based on reports for the past several years, is to avoid checkpoints which invent their own rules, and to enter the country using land-border checkpoints which follow the written laws/rules.  All land-borders except Poipet/Aranyaprathet should be fine.  I would always have the 20K Baht, as that is a published-rule.

Are you a suggesting that all typical/genuine tourists holidaying in Thailand stop flying in to BKK/DMK, or is your advice aimed at long term tourists that know they are pushing their luck? If its the latter doesn't that demonstrate that long term tourists are the target because they have stayed too long as a tourist?

Where is your evidence that long term tourists do not, on occasion, get denied entry at every land border?

Carrying 10K/20K is good advice, but it only satisfies part of the law and is usually only requested when they have a long term tourist in front of them and are considering denying entry, which can still happen even if the visitor has the cash.

3 minutes ago, elviajero said:

However, immigration have the power, in law, to stop anyone from entering

Source? I did never see anybody being denied entry with a visa for something else than mentioned in section 12 of the immigration act, so to me it seems like people can only be denied for one of the reasons listed there