Immigration announces details on applying for a residents permit in Thailand

Notification of Immigration Bureau

Admission of application for residential permit in the year B.E. 2558(2015)

According to the notification from Minister of interior by approval of the cabinet issued on October, 30 B.E. 2558 (2015) regarding quota of aliens to have residence in the Kingdom for the year 2015 the following stipulations are applied.

1. 100 persons of each nationality, Colony or colonies of each country shall be considered as one country while each Sovereign state shall be considered as one country and 50 persons for stateless people.

2. The application can be submitted on the date 25 November, 2015 - 30 December, 2015 during office hours.

3. Place to submit the application:

In Bangkok :

contact at Sub-division 1 ,Immigration Division 1, The Government Complex Commemorating His Majesty The King’s 80th Birthday Anniversary,5th December, B.E. 2550 (2007), Building B, 2 Floor, Counter D, 120 Moo 3, Chaengwattana Road, Thungsonghong Sub-District, Bangkok 10210

In other regions : contact at local or near by Immigration Office/Checkpoint,

Source: http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php?page=residence

An impossible height to jump to. 100 people per nationality. They really don't want us here. coffee1.gif

Has this limit ever been a problem for people of your nationality?

I simply don't bother applying. 100 per Brit for the whole of Thailand? 1000s of us pests are here. coffee1.gif

But do you qualify for it. How many of the thousands you mention qualify for it. I doubt that the limit is ever reached for the UK.

When I applied in 2007, I was applicant number 25 from the UK so I doubt the UK quota was reached that year.

• Like 1

An impossible height to jump to. 100 people per nationality. They really don't want us here. coffee1.gif

If you happen to be a national of Andorra, (population around 85,000) there might not be so much competition. If you are an Indian national, good luck.

• Like 1

When I applied in 2007, I was applicant number 25 from the UK so I doubt the UK quota was reached that year.

Was you application approved? if So what are the benifits? Can you apply for a Thai ID Card? And hat was the cost.

Edited by ubonjoe
fixed quoting error by removing the excess and uneeded quotes only 4 are allowed

Was you application approved? if So what are the benifits? Can you apply for a Thai ID Card? And hat was the cost.

If you want info about PR please read or post questions in this topic. Camerata's Guide To The Permanent Residence Process

I hope all other countries take note of this and apply similar restrictions on Thais who wish to become residents abroad.

Although Thailand dosnt offer a long term visa for married persons, the criteria for PR or Citizenship is reasonably straight forward compared to many other countries. Can a Thai go to the UK or France for a month, then extend for another month, no, they must jump through hoops to get a visa befor even leaving Thailand.

I do not want to digress from the main topic but you are so right and this is so unjust .Is it discrimination ? I speak from my own experience on trying to get a holiday visa for my girlfriend which failed because of no valid reasons . Yet we are able to walk into Thailand, visa free, for a month at any time . Are the same strict UK visa application rules applied universally ? If I remember correctly there were easements for Chinese visa apps to encourage tourism to the UK. 2 or 3 years ago there was consideration from the Thai government to impose reciprocal rules for visa apps country by country . That would have brought the whole nonsense to a head .

• Like 1

Why do you say that. Has the 100 quota ever been reached? As far as I know not for UK and my guess not for many other countries.

Yes, They do issue Thai Residence Permits, I received mine earlier this year. Yes, some Tea Money is required.

But the process is all there, but prepared fora lot of documentation which is required by you and your company employer.

100 applicants per country per year should not worry any one in UK, Australia and even USA. Japan, China, India and Malaysia yes.

Before you consider applying:

• Have you proof of the last 3 years CONSECUTIVE Tax Returns from your employer, you need to have worked here and submitted tax returns for a minimum of 3 consecutive years
  • You will need extensive documentation to submit at Application,. and any other documentation that they require. If you don't have everything at the time of submission, then this is OK as long as its complete by about March timeframe.
  • You will need to speak thai at a reasonable level, as you WILL be submitted to a Thai Language Test, under Video, and in front of a panel of Officers at Chang Watthana for about 15 minutes. If you get a lawyer to help you, they will give you the list of questions they MAY ask you. Its relatively easy, Do you like thai food?, What date is king's Birthday? etc Its to show evidence that you are attempting to learn the local language
  • You will be fingerprinted at the time of application approval, In January to march timeframe.
  • You will require from your home country, a full fingerprint and police report showing no criminal history. Dot EXPECT the Embassy to do this for you. They won't. You need to do this by going home too your home country and doing yourself. Embassies don't do police checks and fingerprinting.
  • You must submit every document they ask from you at the Government website. Its mandatory, without it you are wasting your time.
  • Application Fee is per the Govt website, I paid ~9000 THB 4 years ago
  • Once you have had the documentation finally submitted, produced all the Police Reports etc, and passed the language test, its basically approved, and you will wait for approval between 2-5 years! Mine took just over 2 years.
  • You may get asked for some team money along the way! Without it, who knows!
  • Once you finally get the letter from the Immigration Department, you have 30 days to pay up or else, start again!
  • You need to pay whatever the going rate on the website is, I paid 191,000 THB, CASH ONLY on the day
  • You need patience ....
  • You final documents portfolio maybe between 300-500 pages! A hell of a lot of paperwork

Basically, if you get all of the dicsumentation, the officers are very encouraging and very nice, they actually want you to succeed.

Good luck, Once you get it, no more 90 day reports, come and go as you please as long as you have your residence permit with you at deeprture and arrival. Us the Thai lane, NEARLY eliminate the2-10X Farang Pricing in National Parks etc, NEARLY! Definitely NOT ALL.

Good luck

Thanks for that.

However, the process is more than enough to put me off.

• Like 1

I hope all other countries take note of this and apply similar restrictions on Thais who wish to become residents abroad.

Countries tend to reciprocate immigration rules so ukrules might have a point. In Australia, there are about 7,000 Thais granted citizenship (usually based on being married to an Australian for 2 years and paying the approx. 100,000 Baht cost) per year. Further, permanent residency in Australia is assured under immigration law if you can prove you have been in the stable relationship for two years. There are no language requirements. If the Australian Government applied a reciprocate rule (e.g. limit of 100 Thais becoming Australian per year) it would cause a helluva stink.

Of course, each country must apply rulings it sees as fit. Australia is a hard place for Thais to get to, but relatively easy to become a citizen once you get there. Thailand is an easy place to get to, but hard to become a citizen.

Edited by Stevemercer
  • Like 2

A friend got one a few years ago. You have to pay bribes along the whole process. I think it was about 400k.

Complete non sense. Maybe some have to, but others don't.

Rubbish. My application was approved and not the hint of a bribe or tea money was required or even suggested.

How much is the final payment? One guy mentioned 191k Baht. For those who got approved for the PR, how much was the total payout from application fee to getting the PR in your hand? Did you know this ahead of time or were any of the requested fees a surprise?

Any other related details would be helpful. Do they at least send you notice via EMS when it is ready? Call/visit home? Or you just wait 1-2 years and then suddenly they give you 30 days to pay a massive amount?

Edited by 4evermaat

How much is the final payment? One guy mentioned 191k Baht. For those who got approved for the PR, how much was the total payout from application fee to getting the PR in your hand? Did you know this ahead of time or were any of the requested fees a surprise?

Any other related details would be helpful. Do they at least send you notice via EMS when it is ready? Call/visit home? Or you just wait 1-2 years and then suddenly they give you 30 days to pay a massive amount?

From immigration fees. http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=fee

"Application for permanent residence in the Kingdom

7,600.- Baht per person"

After approval.

"Residence certificate (TM. 16)

• For shared investment or special investment: 191,400.- Baht
  • For employment or expert: 191,400.- Baht
  • For foreigner married to Thai national: 95,700.- Baht
  • For foreign head of family taking care of children of Thai nationality: 95,700.- Baht
  • For spouse of foreign resident in the Kingdom: 95,700.- Baht
  • For children of foreign resident in the Kingdom or of Thai nationals:
    • Underage: 95,700.- Baht
    • Adult: 191,400.- Baht
  • For non-quota immigrants (original resident): 95,700.- Baht"
  • Like 1

One hundred makes it impossible if you are Indian, Nigerian or Chinese. Very far from impossible for other counties. The year I applied for my PR there were only three of us applying. Understanding the population of Canada is 10% of the US there are lots of other countries in Europe, Australia, New Zealand etc that will find the quota more than sufficient. The bigger issue people will have is actually meeting the qualifications. The only thing that surprises me is that the quota is not weighted to the population of a country. Having said that, I would not be eager to see more Indians, Nigerians or Chinese etc