Your "lack of" Privacy - Chiang Mai Immigration

menzies233

Just started getting ready to do my 90 day report again. Pulled out my last 90 day receipt to photo copy it and just happened to turn it over.

Chiang Mai immigration have been saving a few satang by the look of it and reusing their old photocopies. My 90 day receipt has gone a complete photo copy of an Australian guy's work permit, photograph the full works!

This is terrible!

What is wrong with recycling??? Absolutely nothing.

Immigration and other government departments (schools etc) have been doing it for years.

Get with the times, think of the future of the earth and stop moaning.

Considering how much is printed useless in Thailand that few pages don't matter........For every small sale in our company (even it is just 5 Baht) we need to print something like 15+ pages to have everyone satisfied. The packs of paper we supply for the work permit and visa are also big and I doubt they would accept recycled one with some wrong invoices on the back side.

I fully understand if some people don't like their personal details handed out to some random other guy.

Immigration and other government departments (schools etc) have been doing it for years.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I nominate this for self-parody of the year award.

I completely agree with you about recycling, reducing waste, save the planet, etc. etc. BUT not if these agencies are handing out photocopies of peoples' passports, work permits, addresses, etc.

I doubt they would accept recycled one with some wrong invoices on the back side.

Now here is a potential strategy to deal with the problem. Submit all your documents printed double-sided.

I doubt it will be accepted.....But maybe...up to the officer I guess.

I remember years ago when I bought some dried squid that they often peddle from a motorbike at bars. When I received my food it was wrapped in paper with information on it. I asked my Thai friend what it said and he said it was someones medical information. That kind of put me off buying the squid as obviously this paper is second had and you have no idea how clean it is. YUCK!! But about what the Op is referring to I am guessing Thailand does not care about data protection in the slightest.

Recently went to KSK to have copy of passport. After scan and copy he handed me a copy of someone else's passport. I always ask them to delete my file from their computer but doubt they always do. I don't expect respect for my privacy, safety or many other things here. Mai pen rai :)

I prefer this ThaiVisa recycle story better:

Started by glegolo, 2014-12-12 18:22

Reader's Digest version (condensed)
glegolo
Posted 2014-12-12 18:22:32
"...there was a letter in the mailbox here at home ... let wife open it ... She read on the envelope and said, Khon Kaen ... it was my 90 day report in return from Immigration in Khon Kaen ... My first ever try to do this, success, yippeeee!!!
But then I saw that the wife's facial expression change, ..."this is not your paper, this is for " man from Yippon "(Japan For those of you who do not know) ... maybe the guy from Japan received my paper and I got his papers?? She rang the Japanese man's Thai wife, who sounded really nasty ... didn't care at all about nothing! Wife hang up and said, screw that one!!!
OK, I said, you got the number to the Immigration Khon Kaen, call them and ask what we shall do in this case? My wife called ...and asked: "what do you want me to do, you have sent the Japanese man's papers to me? ...the last lady I talked to, you can write a new application, and send here ???
OK, I got it. No problem ... I calmed down by looking at a movie, and than I aimed to start to do all that work again with copying papers and printing and all that stuff
I took the whole pile of papers and started to sort them out before getting to it.
I took the Japanese mans 90 day report first, placed it first on righthand side ... up side down, and ..........
suddenly saw my own name appear bright and clear ... WHAT THE HELL ... There it was......There was my returned 90 day report from Khon Kaen immigration.
I turned the paper over again, and there was the Japanese man's application as well.....
THAN I UNDERSTAND WHAT HAVE HAPPENED."

They do the same thing in the hospitals, with other people's medical information. Also a very bad practice.

I hate to sound like a broken record -- but you should lodge a complaint with your Embassy or Consulate. They tell me they receive very few complaints about things related to Immigration, yet they have regular meetings with Immigration.

but, seriously, shouldn't the paper copy you get back from a 90 day report be the bottom bit of the tm-47 you submit.....

That photo I posted is the back side of the bottom bit of the tm-47 (receipt) they sent me. smile.png

Why don't they use the paper we send in? We print out the form, but they return something else!

Conclusion: online reporting OR print on both sides of paper.

Done that once to save paper and got told off because the Immigration Officer had to turn over the paper.
If draw a line across the back of the paper? Wonder if that is acceptable?

The complaint is wrt the privacy concerns, of a complete stranger having copies of your passport.

If recycling was taken seriously the umpteen copies of passports taken each year would not be necessary.

Or perhaps they could be recycled into gray paper.

I remember years ago when I bought some dried squid that they often peddle from a motorbike at bars. When I received my food it was wrapped in paper with information on it. I asked my Thai friend what it said and he said it was someones medical information. That kind of put me off buying the squid as obviously this paper is second had and you have no idea how clean it is. YUCK!! But about what the Op is referring to I am guessing Thailand does not care about data protection in the slightest.

Anyone eating dried squid off a cart will not be to worried about the paper its wrapped in is my guess. Yuck !